Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

'07 Continental GT: starting / electrical issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 07:01 AM
GTSpeed07 is infamous around these parts
'07 Continental GT: starting / electrical issues

Hello everyone,

I would be most grateful for some help with an unwell 2007 Continental GT Speed. I'll try to be as succinct as possible:
  • 2 weeks ago I sent the car in for a service. Largely everything was fine barring a new wheel bearing (which explained a noise), radiator and air conditioning compressor.
  • On running the AC for the first time on a long-ish motorway run back, I got the following error messages 'air conditioning switching off' and 'Electrics consumers being switched off'
  • The car got to its destination round 50 miles away with no other issues.
  • I then drove back the following day with no error or issues but didn't switch the AC on.
  • 2 days later, I drove in to Central London, parked in an underground car park, returned 4 hours later and the car would not start. There was power to lights, electric windows, stereo, MMI / screens but I could not get the engine to crank. The only light was the red battery warning light.
  • 4 hours later the RAC turned up, tested both batteries and reported them as fine. They also tested fuses which were fine and concluded they couldn't get it started again.
  • 3 days later the garage that serviced it got hold of a flat loader with low enough ground clearance to rescue the car. They returned it to their garage where to his amazement, it started first time!
  • I then picked it up and again, started first time but had a yellow 'check engine' light. I drove back the 2 miles or so home, stopped the car and switched it off. I then switched on again to test it and the car didn't start. It produced the same red battery light.
  • I then checked the car the following day and it started.
  • Finally, today, it started again. However, with AC on I got the same 'air conditioning switching off' warning followed by 'Electrics consumers being switched off'. I then lost the both the main and instrument binnacle screen in traffic. Once underway again, the car went in to what I think was limp mode as it would not go beyond what I think was 4th gear (gear selector graphic was yellowed out).
I've done a little digging today and the only thinking I could think it might be is a battery sensor issue as reported in this youtube video (
).

If any of you might have any insight I'd be incredibly grateful.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:45 AM
sazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud of
sounds like my issue from last 5 days.

i had 2 times problem with starting the car, in both cases I was not able to start with START-BUTTON, but to my surprise I was able to start with key.

still trying to find the clue, what is the issue - see my post:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ectricity.html

the suspicious case is the error:

00184 - Control Circuit for Engine Start/Stop Switch
008 - Implausible Signal

When problem with starting the car, instead of giving up, try to short the 433 relay, as Johnny Hotspur GT guided me.
Maybe this will lead to any root cause. For now waiting on my tread to get some questions answered.

Old 03-20-2023, 10:18 AM
GTSpeed07 is infamous around these parts
Thanks very muck - will give this a go. I hope yours gets sorted swiftly!