Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley Flying Spur Check Engine and EPC but no codes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 10:30 AM
Dgeedhar is infamous around these parts
Bentley Flying Spur Check Engine and EPC but no codes

Hi everyone. My 2014 Flying Spur has a Check Engine Light and EPC light but there are no codes. The dealership is saying that there is no communication from some 9 modules. They started off by ordering the ECUS and Energy management control module. Those totaled at $9000. They are yet to receive these modules. It has been 4 months since I had dropped my car off. There has only been one code so far called “U1113”. If anyone knows anything at all please do comment. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-30-2023, 09:27 AM
*Update* The dealership is yet to receive the modules. Now it has been 6 months since I have dropped of the car. It is a really sad thing to see the car sit outside with all the wheels touching the wheel wells, because the battery is dead. I have asked them multiple times if it would be possible for me to hold on to the car until they receive the part, but they said they will have to restart the diagnostics if I get back the car. I am truly disappointed and anyone with any information at all, PLEASE comment. Thank You.

Old 05-30-2023, 11:43 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @Dgeedhar ,
I am sorry that I missed your post back in March...
But the dealership ordering $9000.00 for ecu's and the power management controller is ridiculous to say the least !

As far as the dealership holding on to the vehicle because of restarting the diagnostic procedure, nonsense, I would get your vehicle out of there, tell them that 6 months is far to long, and you will not be held responsible for any parts ordered, as 6 months is out of line.

I am also in NJ, I would be willing to take a drive to you (depending on where in NJ, distance) to scan your 2014 FS with both my Ross-Tech VCDS and the ODIS VAS 5054, I am in Montgomery NJ.

Again, if it where me, I would get my vehicle home and charge up both batteries, then have the scanning done, along with visual inspections of certain items and wiring.

Is there any history that you can tell us as to what led up to this issue, eventhough you have the check engine light and the EPC light on, did the engine start, and was the vehicle driveable ?

Which dealership is your FS at, BOE ?

Johnny

Old 05-30-2023, 12:54 PM
Hi Johnny. The car ran perfect, and I drove it all the time. I purchased it from LA in June of 2022 with 42,000 miles on it. The only issue was the check engine and epc light. I needed the car to pass emissions so that is why I need the lights off. There are no codes whatsoever, and as of now I have $27,000 into the car(diagnostics, parts, all other BS.)The car now has 45,000 miles. It is sitting at Bentley Of Edison. Look, if I’m spending all of this money and I know that it is going to fix the issue, I would be somewhat happy. But they are saying “at this time, Bentley in england recommends us to start by replacing the ecus because they are not original. Just so you know, there is no guaranteed fix for this issue. I am literally devastated. I hope you can help. I am located in Monroe, NJ. PS. The part is supposed to arrive this week, but the date has been getting pushed since February because that was when it was supposed to come. Thanks.

Old 05-30-2023, 03:19 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
@Dgeedhar ,
Just for clarification, when you say that you are "$27,000 into the car", is that just in parts, or in total, including purchase, if the latter, then something is wrong with this picture, if in parts, please explain.

Why are the engine ECU'S not original ?

What is the history of the vehicle, you can pm your VIN if you'd like.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 06-15-2023 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-30-2023, 03:28 PM
Hi. The $27,000 is just for these repairs. With purchase price, I am in the car for about $130,000. I literally don’t know the history of the car. The vin of the car is SCBEC9ZA9EC090125

thanks.

Old 05-30-2023, 03:53 PM
Administrator
@Dgeedhar ,
B O E is about 19 miles from my home, Monroe Township is 17 miles, just to help a fellow member, and to give you a second opinion, I am willing to drive to either location depending on what you decide to do as far as leaving it at BOE, or bringing home.

BOE should not have any issue with you and I scanning the vehicle on site, it will need a fresh house battery, starter battery may need a booster box.

I still do not understand about the ecu's not being original, was or is the engine tuned ?

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 05-31-2023 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:53 PM
Hi. The batteries are both new(September 2022) and as far as the history of the car, I have no idea. I don’t know why the modules are non original. The dealer stated that the car may have been involved in an accident prior to me purchasing it. The car has a clean carfax, and even if it was in a crash there has to be a solution for the Check engine and epc light. I really appreciate you for being okay to meet. Since I have already waited 6 months, I will wait for some more time. There has to be something good for waiting 6 months. I will let you know about the status of the parts, and if they still don’t come, we can meet at the dealership. Thank you so much for being so considerate!

Old 05-30-2023, 05:53 PM
Administrator
@Dgeedhar ,
I am just trying to hopefully keep you from spending unnecessary amounts replacing unneeded parts, I myself would never wait 6 months, let alone 3, or even 1, I would figure it out myself...
If you read my rebuild thread, you will see that I learned a lot over the years of rebuilding.
I am here to help, I just can't stand anyone be it dealership or indy wasting parts and cash..

Let me know when you need a scan / visual inspection.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 06-15-2023 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-31-2023, 04:43 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Hi Guys,

Just weighing in here with my observation over the years (of my life) with dealer techs. And, out of HS I actually was one for two years before going back to school for an engineering degree. This is not meant to bash dealer techs just an honest observation, especially with the advent of advanced electronic systems in cars today.

Dealer techs are trained more to "parts replace" than they are to do any deep diagnostics. Most techs, in my experiences with any model cars, are not that capable to chase down a short or an open, but very capable of replacing components all around the real fault. That is why you often see long lists of parts replacements that really didn't solve anything, but the customer ends up paying for and the labor too.

I am only saying this to encourage you to get the car out of that dealership before more parts are going to be ordered and replaced. You would be far ahead if you can find an independent shop where, in my opinion, the real techs end up. Also, Johnny's offer to visit and do a VCDS deep scan is REALLY STANDUP!

Old 05-31-2023, 06:38 AM
sazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud of
ditto BWings! It is so easy to replace whole components - customer is paying for all this and actually the fact is they finally really eliminate the problem - putting brand new modules, looms or other mechanical units - like buying lottery tickets finally the have a win

look at the other side - they will spend 100 hours of work to find one corroded wire/pin? not saying about having in the team a really educated / experienced electrician who knows how to diagnose? and who will pay for this? and how much? customer will say - "you changed the plug worth 5bugs and you want me to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars???"

Dgeedhar - you are lucky guy having Johnny near to you and who want to personally help !!! I wish i have Johnny as my neighbour

Last edited by sazam; 05-31-2023 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:42 AM
Thank you so much for all of your support guys… I really appreciate it. I will get the vehicle out of the dealership if the part isn’t here by Saturday. They said that the ECUS are vin paired, so they are non refundable. $12,500 for just the ECUS and the labor. But with the $12,500 and the diagnostics, it is $27,000 dollars. I have no choice but to use the ECUS now since they are non refundable. I will wait for this one week, and take it from there. I will meet Johnny for sure. Thank You all so much!

Last edited by Dgeedhar; 05-31-2023 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:56 PM
Administrator
@Dgeedhar ,
Please post the part number for the ECU'S, as a 2014 Flying Spur calls for 07C 907 309, at $2725 each, = $5450 total, NOT $12,500 for both, and I am in shock that you are being charged $14,500.00 in diagnostic fees, I am too kind and cheap... holy =<÷&÷^ !

After reading your 27k explanation, I highly recommend that you tell BOE to stick it, I am going to call Steve at BOE in the morning and confirm the cost of two engine ECU'S, yes, they are VIN tied, but only to do with the immobilizer challenge system, I have used, used engine ECU'S in my rebuild, I did certain programming to each ecu that I did in a hour after a lot of research, with a laptop and $20 in hardware and $60 in software, I agree and understand that the dealership will not work that way, but 12.5k for just the 2 ECU'S and 14.5k for diagnostic procedure is .... I can not use the proper deserved language to express my feelings..

Johnny

Old 05-31-2023, 04:15 PM
Hi Johnny. I am so sorry for not clarifying myself. The 2 ECUS were around 8,000 and the energy management module was 1700 or something. The labor was 4000 I’m pretty sure. The other 15,000 came from when I got the AC compressor, condensor, and all of that changed last year. But for this issue specifically, it is around 12-13k with the 3 modules.

Old 06-15-2023, 05:57 AM
*Update*: I just picked up the car yesterday. The Check engine light was finally gone after replacing and reprogramming both ecus. I am so happy. However a few things. I wanted to clarify some questions. If I wanted to remove the lower grill to get some scratches taken care of, Will i have to get ACC re programmed again? Thank you in advance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bentley Flying Spur Check Engine and EPC but no codes