Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2015 Bentley Flying Spur - Error Codes P002100, P052C00 and U101700

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 01:46 PM
feeldaxtc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello ​​​​​​@feeldaxtc ,
As far as 50+ hours out, and 50+ hours back in, that is 100% BS, you can see my rebuild thread, I had the the complete engine/transmission package out in around 12 hours or so, on my back, with no lift, power tools, or prior knowledge of the Bentley GT, and I had removed both fenders, headlights, complete exhaust, and then reinstalled the subframe/suspension in this time frame, as to be able to move the vehicle around on all four tires.

I had the engine/transmission/suspension package back in this vehicle in just under 6 hours, that included axles, driveshaft, braces, exhaust, I spent another 6-7 hours installing the radiator package, headlights, fenders, bumper, fluids, etc.

You can see that @turbo_secret had the the engine/transmission package out in the range of 10 hours, with a four post lift, and a fork lift, video below.

A $1050 labor for just the rear brake work is a rip-off.

Yes, my friend in NC.

Johnny

https://youtu.be/ByAC__Ff3Xs?si=Cz3Y_aw-yTleoH1Q
@Johnny Hotspur GT
Sorry for the late reply. The car has been in the private mechanic shop for over 3 weeks now. The first week seem ok. However, sine then things seem to be going downhill. They tried all the different options (oil flush, checking wiring and sensors) etc but they are saying that one of the phasers is bad. Initially they were ok with taking the engine out and replacing the 1 phaser but this week it seems like everything changed. Yesterday, they told me that they can't replace 1 phaser and will need to replace all 4 and those 4 phasers plus some other parts will be 10k! That does not include removing and putting the engine back in. I know they have been talking to the Bentley dealer because they keep on saying that they spoke with Bentley on multiple occasion and now today, their whole plan changed and they say that Bentley suggest to replace the engine which will be 40k for the engine plus labor cost (70 hrs) which will come out something like 60k! I am like, the car is probably worth 60k all together, how can i put in another 60k in it. I even told the mechanic that I have been talking to people online and this is the info they gave me...that it takes about 10 hours to drop the engine and not 35 or 50, he said, maybe you should take it there! Also, today when i asked them how much would the total cost be to replace the 4 phasers, they said they will not do any replacements and the only option they are willing to go with is putting in a new engine!

This whole thing has turned into the biggest nightmare of my life!

The shop initially said that it doesn't make sense to replace 1 phaser...and I understand because the amount of time it takes to take the engine out and put it back, might as well replace all 4 and be on the safe side. But what I don't get it how did the parts end up being 10k with the phasers being $4,600 are then an extra $5,400 worth of parts.

In your previous reply you said:

Camshaft VVT phasers at $774 each, 2 exhaust camshaft VVT phasers at $853 each, 4 timing chains at $200 +/- each, 4 timing chain tensioners at $930, 2 timing chain guides/tracks at $55, 2 timing chain linings at $11, plus $250 for miscellaneous bolts, gaskets, and sealant

All that adds up to 5k maybe. The mechanic said 2 phasers will be $1,200 and 2 will be $1,100. So that's $4,600 plus another $5,400 is parts. No idea what the additional parts are.

I guess it is time for me to take the car back from the current mechanic and try and get it fixed elsewhere.

If possible, can you talk to your friend in NC who works on Bentleys and get his input on replacing the phasers only?

I don't think replacing just the phasers should be a problem because when i took the car to BoE, they said they think it is the camshaft but there's a possibility it might only be the phaser...that's when they quoted me $35k if they had to replace all the camshafts and around $25k if they had to replace the phasers only.

Old 03-05-2024, 01:54 PM
@hq_ if you dont mind me asking. where are you based? i am in nj so i was wondering if you were local and maybe i can talk to your mechanic and see if he can help me. the shop where my car has been for the last 3 weeks quoted me 70 hours to take out and put the engine back in! lol

they been talking with the bentley dealership service center and the dealership quoted me 90 hours. the mechanic shop said: the dealership quoted you 90 hours and i am quoting you 70! and i never told him anything about getting the car checked at the dealership or what they quoted me. i am sure the mechanic gave the dealership my name or the car's vin and they told them everything so the mechanic's tone completely changed this week. he was willing to fix the engine and today, the only option i have is put a new engine for 40k!

when i told him i have spoken with others on a forum online and they say it takes about 15-20 hours total to drop and put back the engine, the mechanic told me to take the car there maybe...same like what Bentley of Edison told me!

Old 03-05-2024, 03:00 PM
hq_
hq_ is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by feeldaxtc
@hq_ if you dont mind me asking. where are you based? i am in nj so i was wondering if you were local and maybe i can talk to your mechanic and see if he can help me.
I'm located in Helsinki, Finland. Pretty much on the other side of the world. My go-to shop for our RS Audis (they're a VAG Master Certified, among other things) for the past 17 years and now for the Bentley is www.biopowerservice.fi , highly recommended for no-nonsense approach to having any service, repair or modification done. Not much help unless you're located in southern Finland, though.

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-13-2024 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Link
Old 03-13-2024, 10:37 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
@feeldaxtc ,
I will PM you the contact information.

Johnny

Old 03-14-2024, 07:44 AM
@Johnny Hotspur GT Thanks! The contact that you gave me, is that your contact or your friend's?

Old 03-14-2024, 09:41 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by feeldaxtc
@Johnny Hotspur GT Thanks! The contact that you gave me, is that your contact or your friend's?
@feeldaxtc ,
Well... my name is Johnny, and his is Jason, I believe that is self explanatory. 🤔🖖🏻

Old 03-14-2024, 06:59 PM
Chessey is infamous around these parts
I want to clarify the severity of this job being performed. The engine and transmission need to be removed from the vehicle. The transmission then needs to be separated from the engine. Which requires more parts being removed; cats coolant pumps and hoses, witting harness. Once the transmission and now separated the engine has to be torn down. Valve covers need to come off, timing cover, the engine needs to be set at top dead center and properly locked into place. Timing needs to be checked and set prior to disassembly. Once the engine is ready the repair can now finally start. Inspect the cam phasers check and every the cam shaft condition. And replace the appropriate parts. If you need camshafts the fun begins and the top half of the engine (cylinder head) now needs to be disassembled to replace the cam shafts. After they are replaced reassembly can begin, all new hardware is required as Bentley uses torque to yield bolts. New gaskets and seals, All new fluids; coolant, diff, trans, power steering, ac Freon. A four wheel alignment due to subframe removal to get engine out. I believe it’s way more complicated then I described it

This is the inspection of camshaft. Too bad, bottom good