Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2006 Bentley Continental Flying Spur bumper crack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2024 | 02:28 PM
|
desiled is infamous around these parts
2006 Bentley Continental Flying Spur bumper crack

My vehicle encountered a crack on the rear bumper even though the car was not hit from behind. I changed the battery out but surely nothing from that service caused that issue as the crack developed a month after the battery install. My daughter read online whereby some Bentley owners have experienced similar phantom cracks in their bumpers. I talked to a Bentley bumper vendor, and he said the original material for the bumper is suspect and he recommends if that happens, then owners should replace the bumper with a kit bumper rather than back with an original bumper because the kit bumper is made from stronger material. The only drawback there is finding a body shop willing to modify the car to accept the kit bumper. I've found numerous 2006 Continental GT bumpers for that year but very few Continental Flying Spur bumpers. In reading the history of the vehicle, apparently during the 2006 production year, not many units of the Continental Flying Spur model were made due to money issues at the manufacturing plant. Any thoughts or similar issues from other Bentley owners.

Old 05-13-2024 | 09:33 PM
anthonyjones3574 is infamous around these parts
2006 bumper

Where did you find a new bumper?

Old 05-14-2024 | 01:13 AM
hq_
hq_ is infamous around these parts
Out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean with a "kit" bumper? Aftermarket non-OEM one? My front bumper is due for replacement, the OEM is made of fairly hard and brittle plastic that is prone to cracking on even a slight contact and an upgrade sounds like a good idea. 2009 facelift FS Speed, which obviously means that bumpers differ from pre-facelift bodystyle.

Old 05-14-2024 | 08:45 AM
|
I found an original North American bumper in Dubai. Bumper and shipping were going to cost over $5K.

However, I took my vehicle by Dent Doctor, and they gave me a quote to fix all minor imperfections on my vehicle, including the rear bumper crack, another small missing piece about 1 inch big on the rear bumper, small places on each corner of the front bumper, as well as small door and body dings for $3,770. He said they have worked on previous Bentleys, namely a local NBA player's vehicle and I will be pleased. The vehicle goes into the shop on May 20.

Old 05-14-2024 | 08:51 AM
|
There are people out there who say they have an original bumper. However, their bumper is a kit bumper which means the bumper will be upgraded to the bumper of a more recent vehicle. There are some small subtle differences when installing a kit bumper so you have to be careful that everything will match sensors, connections, etc. from the original bumper.

Luckily, after doing more research, I found a place called Dent Doctor that said they can repair the original bumper and correct other small flaws for a lower price than what I was going to pay just for the original North American bumper that I found in Dubai.

Old 05-14-2024 | 11:30 AM
Mars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond repute
Bentley Bumpers

Has anyone on this forum had any experience with Bentley Bumpers or Meduza? I need a new one but hear about some suppliers not being good quality but do not know which are good or not besides some of the ones eunningy for $5ish which is in line with the OEM.

https://bentleybumpers.com/

https://www.meduza.co.uk/bentley-continental-gt-c-supersport-front-bumper-for-models-04-09/

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 05-14-2024 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Links
Old 05-14-2024 | 02:16 PM
hq_
hq_ is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by desiled
Dent Doctor that said they can repair the original bumper and correct other small flaws for a lower price than what I was going to pay just for the original North American bumper that I found in Dubai.
Trust me, my front bumper is well beyond any repair, it's currently patched with black gorilla tape after an uninsured tourist from Columbia (SIC!) crashed into it and fled the country. A broke-a$$ college kid, no less. My insurance would take care of it but the premiums go up more than even an OEM bumper w/ paint will set me back so I'm currently researching plan B.

I've contemplated getting a Supersport front bumper just to make the car different, but I rather like the looks as-is. A bit more impact resistant alternative would be ideal, the OEM bumper is nice but shatters so easily that I'm amazed Bentley chose to use a material like that.

That's why I'm asking.

Old 10-19-2024 | 08:41 AM
|
I found several bumpers across various platforms. I'd prefer to repair my vehicle with an original bumper to keep the vehicle original. However, the only place I've found new original bumpers are locations in Europe or the Middle East. They are very pricey when you factor the currency conversion rate. IntroCars in Britain has original North American bumpers, but their conversion rate is +30%. The rear bumper itself is $2,299.99 before conversion rate and the shipping charge will be approximately $700, plus possible custom and duty charges because of international considerations.

I have found kit bumpers stateside made from fiberglass versus the original plastic material. I'm hesitant to order a kit bumper as reviews have said your installer must be knowledgeable as fiberglass is very rigid. One place in New York, Sarona Designs insists the bumpers are made from original molds upon order, all holes are predrilled so that it fits perfectly. They are a lot cheaper, but I need to think about that route.

Old 10-19-2024 | 08:51 AM
|
Kit bumpers are not made of the original hard plastic. They are made of fiberglass. Some kit bumpers change the appearance of the vehicle to improve it to look like a later model. All kit vendors say installing a fiberglass bumper will be better but keep in mind they are salesmen trying to sell their product. Sarona Designs in New York makes a kit bumper from the mold of an original bumper. It's made from fiberglass so your installer must be familiar with the differences in handling fiberglass. They claim all holes for installation are pre-drilled and it will fit perfectly. Pricing is much cheaper than other North American original bumpers found in Europe and the Middle East. I'm studying the reviews from Sarona Designs and most of them are okay but I'm still a little skeptical. Need to carefully think about a decision involving this kind of money. I need both the front and rear for my vehicle.

Old 10-19-2024 | 09:17 AM
|
I've been on the Bentley Bumper site. They seem to have decent bumpers at fairly decent prices.

The Medusa site is very clunky and hard to actually find specific part info that you are looking for.

I think I'm going to go with Sarona Designs in New York. They make a fiberglass kit bumper that is supposed to be made from the mold of an original bumper, and the cost is very reasonable compared to what I've found from other vendors. They predrill all holes for mounting and claim it will perfectly fit an original model. I'd prefer to keep my 2006 Continental Flying Spur original looking and their bumper comes with cutouts for the side markers and fittings for the chrome piece. That will probably be my choice, but I still want to think about it for a month or so.

Old 10-19-2024 | 12:49 PM
Mars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond repute
Please let us know how the Sarona bumper turns out and share pictures. :-)