Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

$15,000 catalytic converter estimate for 2014 Flying Spur

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 02:36 PM
Dgeedhar is infamous around these parts
Just spoke to the dealership and he recommends not doing the work there too 😂. He told me that bank 2 has failed. If I can get a trustworthy shop near me that could do it for under 5k I’m in.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:50 AM
Hi @Johnny Hotspur GT I can’t seem to find the AWE center section for the Flying Spur. Is this something that is available somewhere? Please advise.

Old 03-05-2024, 02:14 PM
feeldaxtc is infamous around these parts
@Dgeedhar i would not recommend going to bentley of edison. i have a 2015 flying spur v8 and have had it only for about 8 months and i have had way too many problems with it. i have been taking it to bentley of edison and they have been charging me an art and leg for everything. i have so far spent about 11k at bentley of edison which includes an annual service, brakes, and something with the ac.

about a month ago i got the check engine light on and they said it is either the camshafts or the phasers. if it is just the phasers, it would cost at least 25k and if it turns out to be the camshafts, then i am looking at 35k! who has that kind of money to repair a car. of the 25k or 35k, 20k is just labor!!!!!!!!

long story short, best of find a local reliable mechanic who will not rip us off. i have spoken to multiple people here and they say that it takes 15-20 hours to remove and put the engine back in. bentley of edison says it takes 90 hours!!!!

Old 03-06-2024, 10:26 AM
Hi @feeldaxtc . I know how you feel as I have gone through this feeling last year. I purchased the car in June 2022 with 42,000 miles for $75,000, and had to take it immediately to the dealer for an ac repair. I got the car back in September 2022 with a bill of $15,000. Then I dropped the car off at the dealer in December of 2022 to get rid of the CEL and EPC light (as I needed to pass the emissions overdue in 9/2022). I got the car back in June of 2023. So it was there for 6 whole months and I got a bill of $12,000 for two new ECUs and a bunch of diagnostic hours. Then I dropped off the car again in November 2023 for a check engine light(Purge valve) and the bill was around $3,000. So in total as a rough estimate, I have spent almost $40,000 into the car which includes tires, and other times I have been to the dealer. At this point, I can’t sell the car as I have spent too much on it. I just hope to keep it now. But this catalytic converter issue is what scares me as I have to pass emissions again this September. I’m also concerned about driving the car with the bad catalytic converter as I don’t know if the the issue will get worse. So don’t worry I’ve been in your spot.

Old 03-08-2024, 12:07 PM
@Dgeedhar I guess you and I are in the same boat! Maybe we just happened to stumble upon a couple of bad cars from the lot or maybe Bentleys are just a money pit.

Did you happen to find anyone in Jersey or NY who can work on these cars and are not a rip off?

Old 03-10-2024, 05:13 AM
Mr8888 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by feeldaxtc
@Dgeedhar I guess you and I are in the same boat! Maybe we just happened to stumble upon a couple of bad cars from the lot or maybe Bentleys are just a money pit.

Did you happen to find anyone in Jersey or NY who can work on these cars and are not a rip off?
go to Edge Motors https://www.instagram.com/edgemotors?igsh=MTB6ajdoYzRvM29qOQ==

They can sort this out. They have two locations in NY it’s worth the trip. They have worked on and maintained my FS flawlessly over the years. honestly at a fair price. Serg and his guys are great and VAG experts. Tell them Daniel with black FS sent you.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 03-10-2024 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:38 AM
As a rough estimate how much do you think they can fix it for?

Old 03-11-2024, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Dgeedhar
As a rough estimate how much do you think they can fix it for?
no idea, i would bring it there let them diagnose and give a price, hard to quote over the phone I imagine, not sure if they would.

They are extremely fair and honest, and should give you the worst and best case scenarios with price points I assume.

It’s worth it trust me. They have avoided a few crisis with my cars with a reasonable solution.

Old 03-11-2024, 10:07 AM
Do you think its safe to drive the car 75 miles with this failing cat?

Old 03-11-2024, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Dgeedhar
Do you think its safe to drive the car 75 miles with this failing cat?
You have to make that call, I am not quite sure on the diagnosis or even what is truly going on, I do not trust BOE.

AAA will tow you up to 150 miles for a $20 membership. If you want to be safe.

Old 03-11-2024, 12:58 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
@Dgeedhar ,
I am sincerely confused by your lack of understanding or your continued requests on the matter...

No, do not continue to drive the vehicle, no, do not look far an AWE midsection, I did not advise you to purchase a midsection, I clearly stated multiple times for you yourself, or by others, to have the midsection dropped, NOT replaced, again, drop the midsection to determine that either of the CATS at the downpipes are/is in fact failed or failing, do not spend a dime on any parts at the moment, prove the issue first, you either have a failing main cat/s, secondary cat/s, or O2 sensors, it is so simple, remove the 6 nuts and bolts at the two flex joints where the midsection meets the downpipes flex joints, then loosen both band clamps where the midsection meets the rear pipes to each muffler, with said midsection removed, you will instantly be able to feel the exhaust flow from each downpipe flange area outlet, the side with the least flow is your failing side, if all is good with the midsection removed, then we know that the issue is with said midsection, the reason for the midsection removal is, because it has an H pipe joint, therefore, one can not test the flow for each side at either tailpipe.

PLEASE,
Drop the midsection and report back.

Johnny

Old 03-12-2024, 09:10 AM
@Johnny Hotspur GT Hey, I tagged you on one of my posts.

2015 Bentley Flying Spur - Error Codes P002100, P052C00 and U101700 - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

We were talking about the issue with my car and you had mentioned you had a friend in NC who might be able to help me. I sent you a PM as well. I am trying to see if you can help me get in touch with your friend. The current shop has had the car for a month and they went from recommending to change a phaser to all 4 to replace the entire engine!

Old 03-14-2024, 11:48 AM
@Mr8888 I just spoke to Edge Motors and told them that Daniel referred me. Honestly I’m very satisfied with the estimate that they gave me. They said that the labor with tax (If the issue is indeed the failing cat) was around $2,000. Bentley Edison’s estimate was over $11,500 in just labor. So I will most likely take the car in even though its far away.

Old 03-14-2024, 12:32 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @Dgeedhar ,
Are you going to respond to my last post, are you going to drop the mid section ?
I certainly hope that I have not wasted my time giving you detailed instructions, pictures, and diagrams, or even offer my hands on..

If you indeed have a failing/failed/clogged catalytic converter, do NOT drive the vehicle, if you are not going to drop the mid section yourself at home, then have the vehicle towed to whatever shop you will deal with, as there in no need to gamble on causing internal damage to the engine, as a failure of a catalytic converter can cause other issues besides just lack of power.

If you are not mechanically inclined to perform any manual labour, please state so, so that I may answer accordingly.

Johnny

Old 03-14-2024, 05:09 PM
Chessey is infamous around these parts
In order to replace the catalyst converters on either bank the drivetrain would have to be removed from the vehicle (engine and transmission). Based on the repair manual instructions. With that a wheel alignment would be required due to the subframe being removed. Plus the cost of new fluids. Bentley use one time use bolts (torque to yield). So an engine removal kit is also required about $1,000, based on this info it seems they are charging about 24-27 hours to complete the job. at there labor rate of 350 dollars an hour

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: $15,000 catalytic converter estimate for 2014 Flying Spur