Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

$15,000 catalytic converter estimate for 2014 Flying Spur

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 08:43 AM
Dgeedhar is infamous around these parts
Hi @Johnny Hotspur GT I am not mechanically inclined so I plan to get this done at a shop.(including dropping the midsection and diagnosing) Sorry for not clarifying myself earlier.

Old 03-15-2024, 04:51 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @Chessey ,
Welcome to 6speedonline.

As to you comments, the situation in this thread has to do with the catalytic converter for bank 2, which does not require the dropping of the engine/transmission package, as shown in the video, and in discussions, nor would it require the engine removal kit that you claim is $1000, said kit (3W0 198 115 K) if needed would be $852 as priced by your own parts department, or at just under $400 online, but you as a service technician at Bentley of Edison would know this.

So, what is the real reason you came here to post, are you trying to justify your companies outrageous pricing, and outrageous quotes of time required to remove and install the engine transmission package, BOE quoted @feeldaxtc 50 hours to remove the engine transmission package, and another 50 hours to put it back in, at $9800 for removal, and $9800 for installation, plus $1300 tax, that is $20,900 just for the engine removal and installation labour costs, then the labour and parts to replace on top of that, to which in total he was quoted $34,500.00, that is just ridiculous, he could have a brand new complete engine for less than that, then have an Indy install it, and still be ahead of the BOE quote.

Sincerely
Johnny

Originally Posted by Chessey
In order to replace the catalyst converters on either bank the drivetrain would have to be removed from the vehicle (engine and transmission). Based on the repair manual instructions. With that a wheel alignment would be required due to the subframe being removed. Plus the cost of new fluids. Bentley use one time use bolts (torque to yield). So an engine removal kit is also required about $1,000, based on this info it seems they are charging about 24-27 hours to complete the job. at there labor rate of 350 dollars an hour

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-15-2024 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:06 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dgeedhar
Hi @Johnny Hotspur GT I am not mechanically inclined so I plan to get this done at a shop.(including dropping the midsection and diagnosing) Sorry for not clarifying myself earlier.
​​​​​​Hello @Dgeedhar ,
Let me know if you have the vehicle back from the window repair yet.

Do you have a floor jack and jack stands at home ?

Call me if you want me to scan the vehicle, and drop the mid section for testing, we can discuss the particulars on the phone.

Johnny
908-507-6357

Old 03-18-2024, 09:15 AM
Hi @Johnny Hotspur GT . Thank You so much for your consideration. The car will be ready on the 27th for the window repair. I don’t have jack stands or floor jacks at home.

Old 03-22-2024, 04:22 PM
Randy V is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT

So, what is the real reason you came here to post, are you trying to justify your companies outrageous pricing, and outrageous quotes of time required to remove and install the engine transmission package ...
Is this new member from BOE, Johnny? Rather telling he has not responded back to your query despite visiting back here as recently as today.

Old 03-22-2024, 05:32 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by Randy V
Is this new member from BOE, Johnny? Rather telling he has not responded back to your query despite visiting back here as recently as today.
​​​​​​Hello @Randy V,
According to the information he provided in his profile, yes, he is.
The day after he commented, he went into his profile and changed his last name to a fictitious name, why do that, I already had the name he first used to join, along with his email address and IP address, so with all the information he provided to join, a few searches gave information along with his LinkedIn profile as a Service Technician at BOE.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-22-2024 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:46 PM
Interesting indeed.

Old 03-22-2024, 09:57 PM
If you don’t mind me asking, who was the technician that commented on here? Either way, I personally feel like the dealership is not worth going to anymore as $15k for cats is beyond expensive. I’ve spent over $45k with them, but issues just keep coming, and the bills keep rising.

Old 03-23-2024, 10:25 AM
Chessey is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Randy V

Johnny is correct.

I initially joined because I wanted help the Bentley community. As I have been working on Bentleys for ten years. I stumbled across this thread and wanted to explain the depth of the repair.

In my opinion Johnny wasn’t to fond of my comment. I felt it was best I kept quiet and maybe the forums wasn’t the place for technicians. Moving forward I will keep quiet and just read threads. As I am always looking to learn and expand my education; as I learned from this experience.

Old 03-24-2024, 02:24 PM
@Chessey I appreciate your help in explaining this issue. If there’s any other information that you have on this issue, that would be greatly appreciated. But personally $15k is too much for me to invest into the car (as I have already spent $45k at Bentley Edison in the last 2 years). Johnny said that driving the car with the failing/failed cat is bad, but the service advisor said that it’s fine and isn’t a drivability issue. I want to play it safe, by not driving it until it’s fixed. But what are your thoughts on this? Thanks

Old 03-24-2024, 07:07 PM
@Dgeedhar I completely understand.

I agree with Johnny, He would be correct. If you continue to drive the car you run the risk of creating more damage. Like Johnny stated you would be gambling. Depending on where you take the vehicle for repairs you should consider towing it.

I had a friend ignore a catalyst converter code(None Bentley vehicle) and ended up damaging the air/fuel and oxygen sensors because the cat got so clogged and hot they began to melt.

Old 03-24-2024, 08:51 PM
Thank you @Chessey for your response. Just to clarify, this issue just started while I was driving the vehicle to the dealership. I do not really know if that would change anything really. The car is pretty much mechanically perfect other than that. I will still be using the dealership for other services but as I said before, $15,000 is way too much. I spoke to Edge motors in NY, and they said that the labor was $2,600. Daniel on this forum recommended that place for me. The part is around $4k or 6k? Please correct me if I’m wrong. Johnny attached a picture of the part numbers and prices but not sure which one is needed. All I know is that it is a bank 2 catalytic converter. At this point, I’m planning on just deleting those cats and doing something like Johnny suggested a couple weeks ago. I will most likely clear the Downpipes and add the big daddies O2 as @Johnny Hotspur GT suggested. Thanks again.

Last edited by Dgeedhar; 03-24-2024 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:07 AM
@Dgeedhar if the issue just happened and you plan on taking it to edge motors relatively soon; in my opinion you should be ok to take it there. But again if you wait as Johnny stated you are at risk of further damages. As far as pricing I can’t confirm this but that sounds about right.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Chessey
Johnny is correct.

I initially joined because I wanted help the Bentley community. As I have been working on Bentleys for ten years. I stumbled across this thread and wanted to explain the depth of the repair.

In my opinion Johnny wasn’t to fond of my comment. I felt it was best I kept quiet and maybe the forums wasn’t the place for technicians. Moving forward I will keep quiet and just read threads. As I am always looking to learn and expand my education; as I learned from this experience.
I don't concur. While Johnny is a wealth of information, we welcome additional sources of information, as from a Bentley tech like yourself.

Please continue to share your knowledge here.

Old 04-03-2024, 04:45 PM
*UPDATE* I got the car back today. Drove it almost 30 miles from the dealership to my house and the check engine light was NOT there anymore. I don’t know if this is a fault or it was an intermittent fault. In November 2022, there was the same code but then it went away. What do I do? The light has not come back after highway driving and all. I will update as I drive it more now that the light is not on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: $15,000 catalytic converter estimate for 2014 Flying Spur