Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2005 Continental GT intake hose identification...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 07:19 AM
virtual_law is infamous around these parts
2005 Continental GT intake hose identification...

Trying to locate the source of my rough idle and MAF low codes, I came across this hose that seems to have come off. The start of this hose is a hard line that emerges from under the left side throttle body (facing the engine), and then connects to a rubber hose which curves downwards and disappears into the abyss.
Visibility is very low on this side, and I cannot for the life of me find any open or cut hoses that could serve as the receiving end. Can anyone help identify this line's purpose and exactly where it connects to the bottom of the engine?

Old 06-25-2024, 11:05 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @virtual_law ,
See my pictures below for the routing of said line (red dots), my pictures 5, 7, and 8 do show the line (rubber hose) incorrectly installed at the hard line, as I mistakenly routed the rubber hose under the PCV valve (silver foil disc) prior to installing the engine, you can see in my later pictures of the engine in the vehicle, the rubber hose is now on top of the PCV, where it belongs.

So, you will want to check the connection and fittings as shown by the green dots, especially the tee, the end of the run goes to the evap tube that runs to the rear of the vehicle.

Johnny

Old 06-25-2024, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello @virtual_law ,
See my pictures below for the routing of said line (red dots), my pictures 5, 7, and 8 do show the line (rubber hose) incorrectly installed at the hard line, as I mistakenly routed the rubber hose under the PCV valve (silver foil disc) prior to installing the engine, you can see in my later pictures of the engine in the vehicle, the rubber hose is now on top of the PCV, where it belongs.

So, you will want to check the connection and fittings as shown by the green dots, especially the tee, the end of the run goes to the evap tube that runs to the rear of the vehicle.

Johnny
Like many others on this forum, I bow to you kind sir! It seems like you've been in the exact same situation I'm currently in. The car is just back from an engine out oil-cooler job with a rough idle so I went investigating and found this.
However, having screened your absolutely golden directions with a fine toothed comb, I think I can conclude that this pipe (with the snakeskin sleeve) is installed in the WRONG place from the get-go (starting with the upper intake manifold hard line).
I just uploaded a video of it for more clarity.
Questions I have are as follows:
1. The snakeskin hose I'm holding in my hand, where does this go? I see it in your pic 6, attached just ahead of the turbo. Where does the other end go?
2. Is the best access to these from the top, side with wheel removed, or bottom with undertray removed?

Thank you! I'm wholly indebted to your help!

Old 06-25-2024, 02:05 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @virtual_law ,
Just so we are on the same page, are you saying that the sleeved hose that is hooked to the hard pipe at the intake manifold, was not connected to anything on the other end, or did it go to the tee, then onward to the purge valve, or was it just left hanging ?

Edit: I misread your initial post, so the hose is disconnected.

Just for clarification, the turbo on that side (depending on year) has 3 hose connection ports as I show in my pictures below, the sleeved hose goes from the turbo assembly (shown in green) to a connection at the firewall in the area of the 3 snap connection tubes, those 3 being the fuel supply line, the fuel return line, and the evap line, those 3 lines are the white, blue, and black lines, the purple goes a very short run from the turbo to a hard pipe, the red is the hose that goes to the tee that we discussed earlier, that tee splits off to the hard pipe at the intake manifold, and also to the purge valve, then onto the evap tube connection, which is the white tube I mentioned above.

I had an issue installing the Supersports engine in my GT, the drivers side (LHD) sleeved hose from the turbo did not reach as the original 05 engine did, so I made a fitting, I am sorry but, at this very moment, I can not recall if the left side (facing the engine) was the same black tube connection as I show on the drivers side, I have to take a look, I am thinking the left that you are working on, that the hose went through that slot opening with the 3 lines, if you can get some better pictures, maybe we can see, maybe loosen the coolant tank to move a bit, along with the turbo inlet funnel.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 06-25-2024 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Spelling / add information
Old 06-25-2024, 04:46 PM
Hello @virtual_law ,
Just so we are on the same page, are you saying that the sleeved hose that is hooked to the hard pipe at the intake manifold, was not connected to anything on the other end, or did it go to the tee, then onward to the purge valve, or was it just left hanging ?
It was left hanging because it actually split on the turbo end. I spent the last hour zooming in and out and rereading everything you wrote (cant thank you enough for that!) and I think Ive reverse engineered the problem.

The sleeved pipe coming off the turbo had to go into the firewall next to the white, blue and black lines, but the mechanic in his infinite wisdom connected it to the intake manifold instead.
​​​​
The Tee connection (red lines in your pics), where it splits, and SHOULD have one end go up to the intake manifold, DOESNT on mine. One end is going into the purge valve, and one end is going into the firewall next to the white, blue, black lines. THIS I believe is the mistake, pls feel free to correct me if Im wrong.
​​​​
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT;4942505
Just for clarification, the turbo on that side (depending on year) has 3 hose connection ports as I show in my pictures below, the sleeved hose goes from the turbo assembly (shown in green) to a connection at the firewall in the area of the 3 snap connection tubes, those 3 being the fuel supply line, the fuel return line, and the evap line, those 3 lines are the white, blue, and black lines, the purple goes a very short run from the turbo to a hard pipe, the red is the hose that goes to the tee that we discussed earlier, that tee splits off to the hard pipe at the intake manifold, and also to the purge valve, then onto the evap tube connection, which is the white tube I mentioned above.

[img
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6speedonline.com-vbulletin/2000x948/screenshot_20240625_152640_gallery_3f31084fb2fdcec 15cba8366da709fbce265434a.jpg[/img]

Here's what mine looks like in comparison to yours. The lines Ive marked with a red '?' are I believe the problem and incorrectly going into the firewall.
Now to correct this, I need to access the turbo area which is nearly impossible from up top on the left side (facing the engine).
Is there a way to take that MAF hard connecting pipe off? I searched but could not find anything.

Old 06-25-2024, 08:27 PM
Administrator
@virtual_law ,
OK, so your mechanic routed the lines to the wrong points, can you have a conversation with he or she, as to why, and the possibility that they possibly put a cap on the port on the turbo, that was to feed the sleeved hose to the firewall/wheel well ??

I found my picture showing the sleeved hose from the turbo to the wheel well, you have to pull the wheel well liner for access.

Do you have a borescope ?

Remove the turbo air intake funnel by inserting a long flathead screwdriver into the clip as shown, give a twist or pry on angle to release the clip, the clip will only need to move slightly, it will not fall off, pull up on the funnel as you pry the clip, then use borescope or mirror to check the 3 ports on the turbo.

As to the way the hoses have been routed, if the port at the turbo has been capped, you may be OK, you would just cap the hard pipe at the intake manifold, which makes me ask, have you tried plugging the sleeved hose to see if your issue goes away, as that is a definite vacuum leak, as is the port at the turbo if not capped, I say this because, I have turbos from 2004 to 2008 on the shelf, along with my 2014 turbos I installed on my 2011 Supersports engine, all but the 2007 or 08 used all 3 ports as I pictured previously, but the 07 or 08 has a cap on one port, I have no idea if this is factory, or someone did work previously and routed the hoses as your mechanic did, because my thinking is, if the turbo is capped, and you cap the intake hard pipe, that takes care of that leak, and if your mechanic ran the tee hose to the turbo as he should have, that is one less issue, as that is where the line off the tee belongs, the other end of the hose circuit goes to the white evap tube from the purge valve solenoid as it should, so good, but the end feeding the tee that should have gone to the intake hard pipe, he ran to the wheel well with the 3 tubes we discussed, the white, blue, and black, NOW, this may not be an issue, as the line from the turbo to the tee will have vacuum from the turbo, and the line he ran to the wheel well will also have vacuum, as it is hooking up to the vacuum circuits that run along the firewall at the steering rack area, which has me ask, when you just dropped the engine for the oil cooler repair, did you have all of the vacuum lines at the firewall, the rear of the engine, and on top of the transmission repaired or replaced ?

As I type this, I remember my failed charcoal canister, and how it took forever to fill the fuel tank, and if I overfilled it, the fuel would go up the evap line, through the purge valve and into the hard pipe at the intake manifold, that would result in a beautiful snap crackle pop from the exhaust on deceleration, but that makes me wonder if having the line at the wheel well instead of the intake, will that cause any issues, like sucking fuel vapor into the main vacuum circuit instead of into the intake at the hard pipe 🤔.

So, if you can get the funnel off, and get a look at the 3 ports, that is what we need to see.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 06-25-2024 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-26-2024, 04:43 PM
@virtual_law ,
OK, so your mechanic routed the lines to the wrong points, can you have a conversation with he or she, as to why, and the possibility that they possibly put a cap on the port on the turbo, that was to feed the sleeved hose to the firewall/wheel well ??

So, if you can get the funnel off, and get a look at the 3 ports, that is what we need to see.

Johnny
Thank you a tonne sir! Upon further inspection, I have indeed found that hole on the turbo. I've studied your post veryy carefully and its no less than a godsend. I'll reply in detail with pics shortly after I'm done experimenting with plugging the two holes (intake manifold hard line + turbo vacuum connection), since I could not get that 'funnel' off. There is simply no room with other lines for long screw driver to slide in, but I did barely make out the hole on the turbo from above, now I just gotta try and fashion a plug and somehow reach that hole to plug it and see if the car behaves after.
I plan to send the car to the workshop tomorrow to route the lines properly, but doing this experiment just to see if rough idle disappears. Brb!

Old 06-26-2024, 05:16 PM
Administrator
@virtual_law ,
I would try again with a very long flathead screwdriver to get the funnel off, it would give you more access, next, it would be interesting to see if they actually pulled the tube fitting out of the turbo, like someone did on one of the turbos I have, which then leaves nothing to cap, but instead would need a plug, which would be harder to do than slipping a rubber cap over a tube.

This is what the fittings on the left turbo should look like.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 06-26-2024 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Add information and pictures