Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley suspension is moaning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2024, 11:51 AM
Gt414 is infamous around these parts
Bentley suspension is moaning

Hello guys

I had my car front shocks completely fall down so I changed to after market along with changing all of the front control arm assemblies and bushes and rod everything you can think of in terms of suspension, it was all audi or VW compatible parts.

Now when I'm turning left and accelerating only the car makes this very weird metal crushing sound or like body noise...its so weird I took it to different mechanics they said everything is fitted correctly in order and they can't seem to find any fault

I recorded a video for you guys can you listen and tell me your thoughts ?

It's not making this noise when turning stationary and doesn't make this noise when I'm turning right only when turning left

Any thoughts?

Old 07-11-2024, 12:58 PM
https://files.fm/f/9a63bthbjx

Video link

Originally Posted by Gt414
Hello guys

I had my car front shocks completely fall down so I changed to after market along with changing all of the front control arm assemblies and bushes and rod everything you can think of in terms of suspension, it was all audi or VW compatible parts.

Now when I'm turning left and accelerating only the car makes this very weird metal crushing sound or like body noise...its so weird I took it to different mechanics they said everything is fitted correctly in order and they can't seem to find any fault

I recorded a video for you guys can you listen and tell me your thoughts ?

It's not making this noise when turning stationary and doesn't make this noise when I'm turning right only when turning left

Any thoughts?

Old 07-12-2024, 02:57 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Is the noise right at the end of the recording as there seem to be other noises as well?

Old 07-12-2024, 07:24 AM
Hello yes it is... because I was making the turn waiting for the noise ...its like clinching body or metal grinding

Originally Posted by Frank ( Sunnyside )
Is the noise right at the end of the recording as there seem to be other noises as well?

Old 07-12-2024, 08:27 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Hello yes it is... because I was making the turn waiting for the noise ...its like clinching body or metal grinding

Hard to say from the recording. However CV axel joints can make noise while turning when begining to fail. Might be advised to ask your mechanic to evaluate the CV axel joints.

Meanwhile a search on line why CV joints are noisey while turning might help with your question.

Old 07-12-2024, 02:54 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
I would defonitly do as 1eapplebaum says and have your CV joints checked. If everything else has been replaced its the next logical check.
I'm supprised they dont make a noise turning left or right tbh, but it's worth checking out.
When your suspension collapsed it would have put the CV joints at quite an angle and load??

Old 07-18-2024, 01:38 AM
Hi guys the mechanic is saying no issue with the cv axle.... he says it could be caused by the brake caliper is that true or is he taking the ****?

Old 07-18-2024, 02:05 AM
Guys I want to add that the shocks I have are refurbished because they were much cheaper than bentley original shocks, could they be the reason?

Old 07-18-2024, 02:28 AM
redstr3842
Hi All,

It's amazing because I've encountered a similar phenomenon after replacing shocks, discs and pads.
So dismantle the suspension and ALSO, redo a new geometry.

A "rubbing" noise appeared when turning (also on the left, but this was probably due to chance) at very low speed and a precise steering angle.
After investigating, removing the wheels and checking the suspension wiring (and air piping), I noticed that the front geometry adjustment had completely changed the tire contact points and ripple: depending on the road coating, the noise appeared.
After a few weeks on the road, the noise completely disappeared.
On the other hand, no metallic noise and only at very low speeds!