Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Advice required on inspecting a Continental GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2024, 04:11 PM
GT Lad
Advice required on inspecting a Continental GT

Hi all,

Re-posting this with a new title as I was advised the original title sounded like a sales pitch and the original post was moved to 'sales'

I知 new here and seriously considering buying a 2004/5 Continental GT.

I知 trying to understand the major issues/what I should be checking for when buying a GT. My budget is 」12-15K. As I see it, after a look around the internet/youtube etc, the check list is as follows.

1. Good visual inspection to ensure the original Bentley excellent paint work is still present.

2. No warning lights.

3. Coolant condition.

4. Super smooth idle after a minute of idling. No hissing from behind engine(turbo solenoid air pipe leaking)

5. Service history, especially plugs every 4 years.

6. Handbrake.

7. Air con, seat warmers/massagers

8. Damp/smell in front passenger compartment(electronics underneath) and under rear seats.

9. Roof liner.

10. All window should drop when closing the raise.

11. Air suspension no sagging when left for an hours.

12. Rear spoiler works.

13. High level rear brake light.(Is it really a rear window out job?)

14. Boot release works.

15. Gearbox not hanging in gears and no jolts/bangs.

16. Check windscreen. Is it really 」2300?

Any additions/corrections will be greatly appreciated.

Other questions-

1. What other major servicing should be done and when, such as gearbox oil, timing chain/belt?

2. Can air suspension struts be repaired, if so how much. I see them new for 」2500 on Eurocarparts!!

3. Am I right in saying the Ross Tech VCDS diagnostics is good enough and cost approx. 」200 all in and can be loaded onto a standard modern laptop?

4. Spark plugs and coil packs(In let manifold out?) is a 3-4 hours job?

5. Are the front discs ceramic coated? Do they really last 100,000 miles?

Thanks in advance
GT Lad

Old 08-09-2024, 06:39 AM
Mars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond repute
GT Lad,

Bets of luck looking for an earlier GT, l love these cars. I am by no means an expert, but bought a 2005 and here are some answers or my thoughts on some of your questions.
  • No Warning lights - If you know you are going to be be getting a GT, then I would recommend buying the Ross Tech program, loading it on a laptop and using it to see any codes on a car you are looking at, since a light might not show up, but you might have an issue/code(s) that show up when you do a full scan. I bought the wired module, but if I had to do it again I would get the bluetooth module from Ross Tech since it can be a hassle to be limited on being tethered to the car when working on it.
  • For major services and timing, get the IETIS and I believe it shows the maintenance schedules recommended. I cannot recommend it enough since it is a great source of material. Note, it has the factory instructions fo the work plus parts diagrams. Make sure to read the instructions since when a lot of the repairs are done, some bolts/nuts etc need to be replaced with new and not reuse the old ones. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...buy-ietis.html
  • In relation to the front discs being ceramic coated, I believe the starndard GT has steel brakes and later GT Speeds had ceramic brakes and there were an option on others. They are very expensive if they go out so I am very happy with my steel rotors that are a fraction of the cost.
  • In relation to the spark plugs out, I am not sure how long it takes but I would plan for at least 3-4 hours, do a search on the forum. One thing I understand is do not take the inlet manifold apart, but lift up all three pieces of it as one. If you take it apart into the three components you do not gain anything but the two gaskets between the outer mainfold parts and the center part of the manifold are expensive. Don't forget to order the two gaskets for the throttle valves.
  • In relation to the third brake light, I believe there is a work around for removing the window. Do a search on this forum and you will find that thread with pictures.
  • In relation to the windscreen, if that means the front windshield, they are not 2,300 pounds, I think they are closer to $6-7K US unless you get used. I recommend getting a car with one that is not cracked. ;-) A non OEM/OE windshield might be much less. https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/part-finder/bentley/continental-gt/oe/123/2119/38064
  • Since you are in GB, availability of used parts and possibly OEM parts might help the cause. The early GT's are about double the price you are looking at if not more here.
  • Don't forget the vacuum lines on the early GT's going out which is an engine out repair in most cases, but I have seen some possible work arounds. Search this forum. If I was buying a GT now, I would consider a 2007 or later one just to avoid the vaccum line issue. I had to replace my vacuum lines with steel and that should take care of it for me, but it wasn't a cheap repair. If you do have the engine out, that is the time to do a number of other items that can only be done when the engine is out, or that have to be removed when it is out so there might not be an additional labor cost to replace a part if is removed while the engine is being taken out. It is my understanding the engine out is a 28-40 hour job.
  • I recommend looking at Johnny Hotspurs post from start to finish. Bring some popcorn it's a long post that covers years, but one of the best and most detailed. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-pictures.html
  • If you do your own work, which I recommend, take your time and read up on what needs to be done, be careful disassemblying and reassemblying your work so you don't break any fragile plastic parts. Some will have gotten brittle with time/heat and the replace prices on some of these parts are an eye opener. My pushing too hard on the breather valve trying to get the airbox back in resulted in breaking the breather valve hose which was $500.
  • Enjoy the hunt for your GT, these are great cars.

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 08-10-2024 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Fix link to first page
Old 08-09-2024, 01:05 PM
GT Lad
Mars911,

Thanks for that write up - lots of really valuable and interesting stuff there. I had a look at Johnny Hotspurs epic journey last night and it was motivating to the point that it's actually took away some of the fear of buying a GT. Knowing that there are threads like that and members like Johnny and yourself, who are so helpful, it just takes a lot of the fear away,
There's lots of 」12-15K/$15-19K Gt's in the UK- most around the 80-100,000 miles mark. I'm having few beers looking at the forum threads just now and building up my knowledge. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again.

Old 08-10-2024, 10:15 AM
Wingedb is infamous around these parts
I壇 take your time in researching cars. I took 6 months before I bought my 04 GT high-miler which I致e now had nearly 2-years. Make sure it has a fully service history with no gaps and get it MOT壇 before buying. Windscreen with window sensor can be $10k with installation. I use AUTODOC.co.uk and Amazon to buy parts, and you can save by buying in the non-Bentley boxes but the oem parts.

Other things to look for a tyre wear, the keyless entry system and is the TPMS working and the drivers seat. The connectors under the drivers seat , especially when the seat is moved or reclined can set off the seat back warning. The tpms can give faulty codes when there is no issue. Also check the tyre pressures and the rims for any damage.

Open the bonnet and open the clips near the cowel and look for any water damage and leaves. On the 04 the water drains can get clogged which will lead to issues with the ac.

check when both batteries were last replaced.

when driving ensure smooth up and down in the gears and that the paddles shift the car smoothly.

Old 08-10-2024, 01:25 PM
GT Lad
Thanks Wingedb, much appreciated.

Old 08-10-2024, 01:59 PM
Good luck with your search. Check that the spoiler opens and retracts as it should, especially at speed.

Old 08-10-2024, 11:58 PM
GT Lad
Will do. Thanks again.

Old 08-10-2024, 11:59 PM
GT Lad
Love your car by the way!!

Old 08-11-2024, 06:54 AM
Originally Posted by GT Lad
Love your car by the way!!
many thanks.