Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Adding push start to 05' GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2024, 01:33 PM
ASilver
Adding push start to 05' GT

Has anyone successfully adding push start to replace the global close button? I have am 05 GT that I am going to be taking apart and would like to try this on...
I have an 07' FS that i have to experiment on this if need be... i dont mind replacing Kessy, ECUs, push start button, remote start/global close module if this is what needs to be done, as well as the smart key... I have key programmers and can get PINs, program keys to Bentleys, VCDS, and most tools needed to most of what's needed to get this done...and I don't mind being the guinea pig to possibly figure it out if it hasn't...

Old 09-16-2024, 11:19 AM
Mars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond repute
it is my understanging that we can switch out the global close button with a push to start button, connect the proper wiring to the kessy and we are OK to go. I believe the process is the same as for the Phaeton and here is the instructions I have found and intend to do to my car at some point in the future. Hopefully someone else can chime in that has done this change or if I am on the wrong track. I was intending to buy the VW push button and see if it works or buy the official button from a 07 or 08 that comes with push to start. Please let me know your thoughts.

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/ret...82/?id=1683482

Old 09-16-2024, 11:29 AM
ASilver
Originally Posted by Mars911
it is my understanging that we can switch out the global close button with a push to start button, connect the proper wiring to the kessy and we are OK to go. I believe the process is the same as for the Phaeton and here is the instructions I have found and intend to do to my car at some point in the future. Hopefully someone else can chime in that has done this change or if I am on the wrong track. I was intending to buy the VW push button and see if it works or buy the official button from a 07 or 08 that comes with push to start. Please let me know your thoughts.

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/ret...82/?id=1683482
So I've looked at the global close button and the start/stop button and they look like they have the exact same connections on them. I'm pretty sure that they do the exact same thing although I will confirm this by swapping my 05' GC button into my 07' FS and see it the FS starts up when I push GC button in it.

one of the things i notice that is different between the 07' FS that has start/stop and the 05'GT that has GC, is the module behind the dash in the 05'GT is red and says Global Close module, whereas the 07' FS has a red colored module that says Start Stop module...I'm unsure if these modules do different things or if they do the same thing and the magic happens in the kessy...

Also, I've looked at that Phaeton thread and the Kessys are different then our Bentleys....the Pheaton kessys have 3 plug in inputs whereas our Bentleys only have 2....the third for the Phaeton is for the push start, so it can directly wired in through that plug...our Bentleys do not have that option, which makes me wonder if that red/yellow module is sending the info to our kessys wirelessly and is acting like that 3rd plugin on the Phaeton that we don't have...but anyway, those Phaeton instructions will not work for our cars...

Last edited by ASilver; 09-16-2024 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-16-2024, 12:05 PM
Mars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the information. Possibly someone from across the pond can assist since it is my understanding that the 2005's that were not in the USA have push to start. I am betting the wiring is there, we just have to figure out the right pins to connect or possibly switch out a module. Hopefully the keyless entry antennae were still installed on the US cars.

Last edited by Mars911; 09-16-2024 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-16-2024, 01:46 PM
ASilver
Originally Posted by Mars911
Thanks for the information. Possibly someone from across the pond can assist since it is my understanding that the 2005's that were not in the USA have push to start. I am betting the wiring is there, we just have to figure out the right pins to connect or possibly switch out a module. Hopefully the keyless entry antennae were still installed on the US cars.
So my car was actually manufactured in 2004 even though it's a 2005 model year..but yes, all 2005 GT's in the USA still had Global Close instead of Push Start which I believe started in 06' for the USA...but I doubt a UK car is going to help with this, since they would have to take apart their instrument panel and see what color module they have. Someone more like @Johnny Hotspur GT might have more info on this since he has an 05' GT as well and has done a complete disassembly of his car....