Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley GT 2005 no start issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2024 | 03:23 AM
|
antgeorgebarrett
Bentley GT 2005 no start issue

Hi all, car was sat for a few weeks but started up often, took for a drive and came back, left car for maybe 30 mins came back to start and no start.

Car won’t try to start and Key won’t release (unless I press the small tab in to manual release)
Radio still comes on etc
Batteries are good
I’ve took kessy unit out as I thought driving after being sat few weeks could’ve thrown water into kessy unit but see photos it looks okay, getting desperate now any ideas? Thankyou

Old 10-18-2024 | 10:14 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @antgeorgebarrett ,
Welcome to 6speedonline !

As to your issue, please be sure of the condition and full charge of both batteries, along with telling us the voltage reading of both, as your key stuck in the ignition switch is a telltale sign of a low or dead house battery (left side facing the boot), also, tell us if you have any IMMO (immobilizer) message in the center display, next tell us what happens when you use the emergency start procedure, that is, turning the key to the left and holding for a few seconds, then to the right to start, when turning to the left, you should hear the parallel solenoid switch (clunk) engage in the boot.

Please edit your profile for location, as location can help with lhd vs rhd and certain options on a 2004-05, such as, push button start.

Sorry you went through the trouble of removing the KESSY, BTW, your KESSY looks fine.

Johnny

Old Yesterday | 04:23 AM
|
antgeorgebarrett
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello @antgeorgebarrett ,
Welcome to 6speedonline !

As to your issue, please be sure of the condition and full charge of both batteries, along with telling us the voltage reading of both, as your key stuck in the ignition switch is a telltale sign of a low or dead house battery (left side facing the boot), also, tell us if you have any IMMO (immobilizer) message in the center display, next tell us what happens when you use the emergency start procedure, that is, turning the key to the left and holding for a few seconds, then to the right to start, when turning to the left, you should hear the parallel solenoid switch (clunk) engage in the boot.

Please edit your profile for location, as location can help with lhd vs rhd and certain options on a 2004-05, such as, push button start.

Sorry you went through the trouble of removing the KESSY, BTW, your KESSY looks fine.

Johnny
Hi Johnny, Thankyou for that reply, today i bought both new batteries as the others had dropped to 1.5 volts! Put the new batteries on and when i did, clock spun all the way around clicking, then on the dash had the message " System Error , visit workshop "
I tried the emergency start again but to no avail, turning left makes no clunk sound etc.
Both new batteries are at 12.5 volt
any ideas going forward?
Thankyou i eagerly await your reply

Old Yesterday | 11:34 AM
sazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud of
you said in first msg that batteries were ok, now you say that they were drained to 1.5v? both?
pls be precise what was condition of the batteries when you came back after 30mins (as said in first msg) - what was the voltage?

looks like some shorting which caused intensive battery drain. and this may still consume your bat.

Old Yesterday | 11:57 AM
|
antgeorgebarrett
Originally Posted by sazam
you said in first msg that batteries were ok, now you say that they were drained to 1.5v? both?
pls be precise what was condition of the batteries when you came back after 30mins (as said in first msg) - what was the voltage?

looks like some shorting which caused intensive battery drain. and this may still consume your bat.

it gets a bit confusing at this issue has been since June, it had new batteries on which had good charge when issue first occurred but when checked today they was 1.5v, so changed them for new ones and issue still occurring

Old Yesterday | 06:30 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by antgeorgebarrett
it gets a bit confusing at this issue has been since June, it had new batteries on which had good charge when issue first occurred but when checked today they was 1.5v, so changed them for new ones and issue still occurring
Hello ​​​​​​@antgeorgebarrett,
I take it by the voltage dropping to 1.5, that you are not using a battery tender, if not, I suggest that you do, as no tender is a good way to kill even new batteries, especially on our first generation GT's.

Even your new batteries are low at 12.5 volts, they should be at 13.1 to 13.6 off the shelf, or after a top up charge after purchasing, be sure to check the date on each battery, I have had were the parts supply sold me a battery that was sitting on the shelf for 9 months or so, had to take an Uber back to the parts store to swap for a fresh 30 day old one.

Please let us know that you followed the proper procedure for removal and installation of both batteries, make sure there was no arcing during connections, if so, tell us, also check all mega fuses on the house battery, tell us if you removed the fuse box (torx screws) to gain access to the house (left) battery, did you remove any cables from mega fuse board/positive post connection piece, or did you just loosen the positive terminal and lift the assembly out of the way, as others have removed certain cables that feed from the mega fuse board, but then forgot to reinstall the main feed cable that feeds the drivers side facia fuse box at the dash.

I would think that you have, but just to be sure, the KESSY is all put back in place, correct ?

It's 1:30 AM for you now, so, if you need to call me later today (for you), please keep in mind the time zones, I am in New Jersey USA.
908-507-6357

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; Yesterday at 06:35 PM.