BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

What is an SMG Tranny?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
What is an SMG Tranny?

I know virtually nothing about the M3, so please explain. Is it an automatic?

Thanks

Old 10-15-2007, 02:41 PM
eMJay1133 is infamous around these partseMJay1133 is infamous around these parts
F1 paddle shifter, like the ones in Ferrari

Old 10-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Ah yes, I just read an article on it.

Nonetheless, opinions?

Old 10-15-2007, 03:13 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
personally, me and anyone i know doesnt like it...some swear by it, but me, i like the 3rd pedal. there are some articles about it i read a long time ago...its cool but not for me.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:21 PM
evlgt2 is infamous around these parts
SMG, like the F1 and Lambo E Gear, is an automated manual system, where clutch and gearchange are electro-hydraulically actuated.

In practice, these systems work much better in manual mode. In "auto" mode, they are often jerky and shift at in opportune times. But for focused, performance driving, they work very well. I have SMG in my M5 an it works very well in manual mode, but has much to be left desired in auto mode.

The new generation of dual clutch transmissions (VA/Audi's DSG, and BMW's upcoming DCT and Porsche's PDK) work very well, they shift gears very quickly without any jerkyness, and work very well in auto and manual modes.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:48 PM
sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !
I have SMG on my 2003 M3. If you interest is virtually all the flexibility of a manual with less effort, it's a great tranny.

BTW, congrats on your purchase of Naseem's m3.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Alpine ///M is infamous around these parts
SMG is a love it or hate it kind of thing. I personally have SMG and love it. Like it was mentioned earlier, auto mode will drive you crazy, i can't stand it. But manual mode is convenient and easy. Especially in the M3 on s6 mode (the most aggressive shift setting) its really quick shifting time and is really fun.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:30 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
I like SMG. It's jerky at first, but once you learn to drive it it's smooth, and shifts faster than any person can. It's a great compromise for daily comfort and track fun.
It's actually the same part number as the 6MT, the same Getrag transmission - - just with some hyrdraulic clutch action.

Who bought Naseem's M3????

Old 10-15-2007, 07:02 PM
eMJay1133 is infamous around these partseMJay1133 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by WyattH
I like SMG. It's jerky at first, but once you learn to drive it it's smooth, and shifts faster than any person can. It's a great compromise for daily comfort and track fun.
It's actually the same part number as the 6MT, the same Getrag transmission - - just with some hyrdraulic clutch action.

Who bought Naseem's M3????
Sean did

Old 10-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Formerly 04ImolaZHP
InfamousD is infamous around these parts
http://www.m3smg.com/

i love mine.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:43 PM
I hear the SMG rev matches and shifts incredible fast. I do regular 60-130 competitions so it is perfect. I am actually looking forward to using it. My set up in my GT2 is a real PITA in traffic.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:54 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
You might hate it at first, but you'll learn to shift smoothly.
Namely, stay on the gas when you shift.
You can shift with the stick, or the paddles.
And there's auto mode for your lady to drive you home in.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:22 AM
IIVVX is infamous around these partsIIVVX is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by evlgt2
The new generation of dual clutch transmissions (VA/Audi's DSG, and BMW's upcoming DCT and Porsche's PDK) work very well, they shift gears very quickly without any jerkyness, and work very well in auto and manual modes.
i heard that BMW is putting DCT (Getrag sourced) into the updated M5 spring of next year along with the 575HP power hike. supposedly the new tranny will be able to handle 600nm of torque making it perfect for the M5 application.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Fstcmpny is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by eMJay1133
Sean did
Who is Sean, the OP?

Naseems car would be a blast to drive.

As far as SMG, test drove it, it was nice but I like the 6speed better.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:24 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Jits , the SMG works great and shifts burtaly fast ! at the time when it came out it was and might still be the fastest one. and can be put in automatic mode for when ur in traffic or shift like a sequential from the gear lever. and its also has setting on how agressive u want it to be ,

Now for me personaly i would always take 6 sp cuase i have to have that third pertal so i act innapropriately at times . lol .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is an SMG Tranny?