BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

540i project still moving on slowly,

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Dirt11 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by wisky
Cant wait to see the final product and maybe some dyno numbers! Keep us posted!
It will be attached to a Dynapack dyno, first time , so what ever I get to see you will get to see.A few changes last minute to be made to the location of the IAT sensor , but that should be no problem and Mr. X is still planning on being in Greensboro next week Tuesday or Wednesday.The car made over 500 whp and 450 wtq and the tires spun fairly readily before the recent updates so it will be interesting as we are trying to keep the maximum engine RPMs around 6250 or so since the motor has been stroked and we are still using single spring valve springs.I am ready for this all to be over....

Old 06-01-2010, 05:26 PM
john36 is infamous around these parts
Nice build and sorry that you had to deal with the mess of the tuning world performance shops. On a good note, I can't wait to see the numbers that it will put out and I'm sure you can't wait to get behind the wheel of your beast

Old 06-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by john36
Nice build and sorry that you had to deal with the mess of the tuning world performance shops. On a good note, I can't wait to see the numbers that it will put out and I'm sure you can't wait to get behind the wheel of your beast
Thanks.... Mr X , as I call him is in Greensboro tuning the car.Brand new injectors, flow matched , from Five O Motorsports and damn if one was not bad and the car threw the misfire code after they just about had the car tuned.No telling what happened , but lucky enough it was early enough on the West Coast to get another 60 pounder,779CC at 2.5 bar, sent out to the shop to be there in the morning first thing.Of course this is keeping Mr. X overnight in Greensboro unfortunately , but he can catch a 2PM flight out and still make it to his next tuning job in time.
Andy , the owner of Speedwerks in Thomasville NC , gave me the news on the faulty injector and at the same time commented on how really efficient Mr.X is around the mapping of the ECU.I unfortunately am back home taking care of a friend who has been diagnosed with cancer this week and could not make the trip to actually meet Mr.X in person.
So hopefully tomorrow one way or the other the car will be tuned MAF LESS and run like it should for Mr.X and Andy.

Last edited by Dirt11; 06-01-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Can not think
Old 06-02-2010, 07:05 AM
BAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of light
Tony at VAC is a great guy, glad to see they did the engine work on your setup!

Looks like it won't be long now!

Old 06-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Car is tuned

No Aquamist used , could not get it working in time for the tuner.A conservative tune 6300RPM limited.FINALLY.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:48 PM
adamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the rough
man great progress so far.... best part about this insane car is that its a sleeper

Old 06-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Some pictures hooked to the Dyno

There is a video of the tuning , but it is like 65MB so I am going to have to figure out how to show it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icqkcf5nlUo

Last edited by Dirt11; 06-03-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Great numbers Glad to see it running and tuned. Any driving impressions?

Old 06-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Great numbers Glad to see it running and tuned. Any driving impressions?
No one has driven it as of yet on the road.The tuner wanted to straighten out the ECU a bit as in his words " too many people's hands had touched it "and so he took it with him and will ship it back to the shop in a week or so.Plus there are odds and ends to do to the car as well.( stronger springs for the By Pass Valves , the supercharger belt was slipping a bit so that needs attention, the Aquamist needs some attention, the IAT sensor needed to be moved , ETC... )
So I figure about the middle of this month the car will be back together , a few more pulls will be done after the car is cleaned up hardware wise and then the tuner will put his final touches to the tune if needed.Then the car will be put on the road and Andy of Speedwerks will be the first to see how the car actually drives.It should be just fine as the rear end is new ( M5 3.15LSD ) , the drive shaft is new so are the axles.Pss9 suspension, all new bearings, all new tie rods, new wishbones , ETC.. Anything that could have been done to enhance the car has been except for two rear suspension support bars from the M5 that are ordered and will be installed.It is all new as of 1500miles ago or so, but it should be interesting.My Porsche buddy sad two words when he saw the final Dyno numbers, Traction Control.
BUT remember it is a two ton behemoth , not a 2500 pound track car.The air conditioning works though....I will report as soon as there is something new to report.

Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Dirt11
No one has driven it as of yet on the road.The tuner wanted to straighten out the ECU a bit as in his words " too many people's hands had touched it "and so he took it with him and will ship it back to the shop in a week or so.Plus there are odds and ends to do to the car as well.( stronger springs for the By Pass Valves , the supercharger belt was slipping a bit so that needs attention, the Aquamist needs some attention, the IAT sensor needed to be moved , ETC... )
So I figure about the middle of this month the car will be back together , a few more pulls will be done after the car is cleaned up hardware wise and then the tuner will put his final touches to the tune if needed.Then the car will be put on the road and Andy of Speedwerks will be the first to see how the car actually drives.It should be just fine as the rear end is new ( M5 3.15LSD ) , the drive shaft is new so are the axles.Pss9 suspension, all new bearings, all new tie rods, new wishbones , ETC.. Anything that could have been done to enhance the car has been except for two rear suspension support bars from the M5 that are ordered and will be installed.It is all new as of 1500miles ago or so, but it should be interesting.My Porsche buddy sad two words when he saw the final Dyno numbers, Traction Control.
BUT remember it is a two ton behemoth , not a 2500 pound track car.The air conditioning works though....I will report as soon as there is something new to report.
Sounds like it's on a good schedule. Keep us posted with the updates I can't wait to see some road action videos.

BTW the rear end from the e39 M5 right? Not the e60 m5

Old 06-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Sounds like it's on a good schedule. Keep us posted with the updates I can't wait to see some road action videos.

BTW the rear end from the e39 M5 right? Not the e60 m5
That is correct from an E39 M5.
I sure will as I am really happy the end of the journey for the M5 killer is in sight even if it took a tad bit longer than I thought it would....

Old 06-07-2010, 05:54 PM
baq
baq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of light
Man I am so glad to see a project like this going on here. I wonder how the reliablity would change though, what other issues might arise from the extra HP and heat. I wish you the best of-course, not problems hopefully.
Just curious, has anyone with an e39 540 done a quad tip exhaust system with M5 rear bumper? Is that possible? would it be obnoxious sounding? I am not a poser, Im not pretending to be an M5, I will keep the 540 badge, though I think the quad exhaust looks better? Great job and keep the pics and vids coming!!

Old 06-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by baq
Man I am so glad to see a project like this going on here. I wonder how the reliablity would change though, what other issues might arise from the extra HP and heat. I wish you the best of-course, not problems hopefully.
Just curious, has anyone with an e39 540 done a quad tip exhaust system with M5 rear bumper? Is that possible? would it be obnoxious sounding? I am not a poser, Im not pretending to be an M5, I will keep the 540 badge, though I think the quad exhaust looks better? Great job and keep the pics and vids coming!!
Engine is completely built so it should be no real problems other than having a basic racemotor under the hood.E38 racing radiator, accusump system,oil cooler, intercooler, ETC...
The true quads has been done.A bunch of work though...

Old 06-08-2010, 08:48 PM
baq
baq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of light
Any write-ups on true quads or pics? Im still debating which is better? I drive daily and dont want a drone I will regret. How is your exhaust from the interior sound if you are not on it all the time? Thanks.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by baq
Any write-ups on true quads or pics? Im still debating which is better? I drive daily and dont want a drone I will regret. How is your exhaust from the interior sound if you are not on it all the time? Thanks.
There are a couple of people that have done a true dual exhaust on a 540i.I will look to see if I can find them in my files.The re was a company in California that did a great job on a the 540i station wagon ( what ever that is called ) and it was just like OEM,but they no longer exist.My car is loud as it has SuperSprint headers , SuoerSprint racing Cats, then 3 1/2" exhaust to the Magnaflow exhaust.I actually hear the supercharger more as the T-Trim is very loud.With over 600 WHP any car is going to be loud.Here is an old video I did when I first got the car back last year.
http://s782.photobucket.com/albums/y...DSCON_0001.flv

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 540i project still moving on slowly,