BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

540i project still moving on slowly,

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:22 PM
baq
baq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of light
Sounds mean!

Old 06-13-2010, 12:44 PM
GoingGreen is infamous around these parts
Hey man I did true dual. Let me know if you need any help. Im in cali. Other wise we could do email.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:17 PM
cj350 is infamous around these parts
sick

Old 06-13-2010, 07:49 PM
baq
baq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of light
PM sent GoingGreen.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Dirt11 is infamous around these parts
I pick up my car on Friday from Andy at Speedwerks in Thomasville , N.C.The car started after the tuner sent the ECU back to the shop and all seems well except for a small exhaust leak that Andy heard today so the car will go up into the air tomorrow.I will take pictures and try to do a video.Here are some pictures that Andy uploaded.
http://picasaweb.google.com/10238529...iSupercharged#
I look forward to Friday and hope for no rain for at least awhile....
As well I can not say enough about Andy and Speedwerks crew that helped me out on the last leg of my car's long journey.They have been great and they graciously allowed my friend to fly in and tune my car at their shop on their Dynopack.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:13 AM
GoingGreen is infamous around these parts
Whats the status on the true dual. Id love to help if I can.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:13 AM
Car is back home.It drives like any normal DD until you put the throttle to the floor.Idles perfectly.A little noisy when you first turn it on as the 044 Bosch Fuel pump is a little loud , of course the T-Trim Blower is loud and the headers /Cats/3.5" exhaust a little loud.BUT, when you are driving the car it is pure pleasure.The tune is dead on.....I have a few things to take care of, a little exhaust leak,add another module for the fuel pressure so I can have it available in my interior display , fit the oil cooler a tad farther away from the Air Conditioning fan, add the support rods from the M5 and I am going to replace the cooling system liquids with the Evans NPG+ product.
The PLX display in the OEM Cluster

Some of the engine bay pictures....

http://s782.photobucket.com/albums/y...t=MOV06219.mp4

Last edited by Dirt11; 07-12-2010 at 05:15 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:46 AM
Old 07-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Bahnstoermer is infamous around these parts
There are a lot of fantastic looking parts going into that build!

Old 07-27-2010, 06:13 PM
I just do not understand........

So once again I have to report that the last shop did not in fact do their job properly.It blows me away actually....
When I picked up the car and drove it a bit with Andy I noticed and made note of that there was an exhaust leak , which is minor.I as well noticed that the vacuum pressure did not seem to be where it should be and I made note of that as well to Andy.The By Pass Valves were making a fluttering noise when the car was not at WOT and I made a note to Andy once again.The AFRs were just fine , oil pressure just fine and the car did haul butt.The car got a little hot as well did the oil temp , hot it was that day in the 95s , so when I got back to the shop I let the car cool down and added coolant,it was low.The fan for the AC was hitting the oil cooler a bit so we re-tightened the fasteners and blue loc-tighted the threads.And the young technician says he checked the exhaust out and all was as tight as he could muster.
I decided to drive it home would be safe.
Adding the coolant solved the over heating as the car ran a steady 104C all the way to my garage.That is where the car likes to run.
So I get the car home late as hell park it and go to bed.
I get up the next morning , do a bit of work and then go out to the garage to look the car over.
I jack the front of the car up to check out the exhaust leak and I immediately see the problem.The collector to the headers had slipped away from the headers about 3" and an enormous amount of air was escaping.I loosened that side up , got a rubber mallet and a small piece of cedar and tapped the collector back into it's proper place.No Big Deal except I was told at the shop that they had looked at the exhaust from underneath, NOT.SLACK maneuver.So as I have learned in the past if there is one thing incorrect then there is most likely another problem.
And there was big time......
The lack of vacuum and the weird noise made by the BPVs made me search for an answer.So I jack the car up again pull the under body panels off the car and look at the lines for the BPVs that are supposed to hooked to a vacuum port in the back of the intake manifold.I trace the lines and DAMN if they are not hooked up incorrectly.Instead of being hooked to a vacuum source they are hooked to an obsolete "Secondary Air Pump Switch" that I left on top of the intake manifold.Clearly marked 12V DC.
So now I have a car that was tuned with the BPVs not operating properly , A serious air leak from the headers and a damn Vacuum leaking to atmosphere.Of Course when I set it all up as it should be the Tune is off.I am beyond being pissed at this point.My first thought was to get a hold of Mr.X and let him know what has happened to his tune and my car.
It took a few days for Mr.X and I to talk on the phone and he mentioned he thought the Vacuum was not proper and queried about it to the shop and got the answer that all was as it should be with the car,triple checked.He, Mr.X , calmed me down and said that he would be able to visit my car again when I get it all sorted out.
I told my story to a few people here on the forum and all they said is that if it were not for bad luck I would not have any luck at all....
So I am being as fair as I can to the SHOP , the LAST SHOP SPEEDWERKS in Thomasville , N.C. as the fabrication work was great cleaned up the engine bay really well, BUT WTF do I have to hold the shops hands to make sure the work is completed in a proper fashion?I had told ANDY the horror stories from the other shops and he had plenty of time to facilitate a proper job.I put him in touch directly with Mr.X and he knew that Active Autowerkes could answer all questions on the BPVs.
A car is a car is a car you know,Vacuum is Vacuum , a leaky header is a leaky header and BPVs run off of Vacuum.So now I will say if you need something fabricated sure go to Speedwerks , but if you need a complete job done and are having one of the best tuners in the world come tune your car , not to mention one of the nicest and most patient of all people I have ever dealt with period ) you had better go there and check the car out first as they blew it with me and they fully knew how big a deal the job was to me....
I will get the car correct , but no one else is going to touch it except myself and Mr.X period.I will be taking the car to Charlotte , most likely, as there is a Mustang Dyno less than 6 miles from the airport.I will fix the Aquamist here in Beaufort as well am getting Griffin radiators to make me another radiator,more efficient.I am going to try to quieten the car down a bit even if I loose a bit of HP.
So my journey has another bump, whats new .....
No offer for any type of reparation from the shop was I offered except free dyno time....HMMMMM.....
There was no malice on Andy's part just not thorough and then there were an attempt of making excuses and that really irked me ,actually more than the shop screwing up.
Sorry for the long winded dissertation....

Old 07-27-2010, 07:26 PM
baq
What a load of BS! One of the qualities I hate in the business of tuning or plain car repair is a lack of care, professionalism, and meticulous attention to detail. Few shops in the country treat the car that drives into their doors as their own. Most are more interested in the financial returns than the honest workmanship that should be presented upfront. I've been in your position before, not exactly, but I know your pain.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:40 AM
After I corrected the mess that Speedwerks left me

I had the tuner meet me in Charlotte at Eurowise/CIN Motorsports to make use of their mustang dyno.4 hours later the tuner and I hit the street and for over an hour we drove the car.
At speed I found some more problems ,but will correct them this week.ICS PERFORMANCE installed the Thrust Arm Bushings backwards , kind of made the car shake like hell when one tried to stop.
Here is a short video on the dyno.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Rp3IzpDRk

Old 05-14-2011, 04:27 AM
Performance BMW Magazine

A bunch has happened since the last I spoke of my car.Final tune in Charlotte and we blew the Head Gasket so my friend Tim in Wilmington ( Wilmington Motor Works ) put a new head gasket in the car in his spare time.
I just got back from sailing a boat from the Bahamas and found out that Performance BMW Magazine saw and photographed my car.
Plus my car is close to being all the way back together,I have to go down at the end of the month to put the Aquamist back in line as well as the Accusump and then change all the fluids.
Here is more...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...-magazine.html

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1652894