BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

E90 M3: My Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:38 PM
kvsm3 is infamous around these parts
Pearlcoupe35,
You said you drove the coupe and opened the moonroof. Does the coupe come with optional moonroof even with the CF roof? Just wondering,

KRIS

Old 03-15-2008, 11:50 AM
M5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by kvsm3
Pearlcoupe35,
You said you drove the coupe and opened the moonroof. Does the coupe come with optional moonroof even with the CF roof? Just wondering,

KRIS
Moonroof is a no charge option. However, if you select the moonroof, there is no carbon fiber roof. Carbon fiber roof is pretty cool, but I love a moonroof. The ultimate option is the hardtop convertible found on the 335cic.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:07 PM
kvsm3 is infamous around these parts
That is good to know,
thanks M5Kid

Old 03-16-2008, 01:33 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by M5Kid
Moonroof is a no charge option. However, if you select the moonroof, there is no carbon fiber roof. Carbon fiber roof is pretty cool, but I love a moonroof. The ultimate option is the hardtop convertible found on the 335cic.
Or get the moonroof and paint the roof black (for the look) and then do an AMUSE exhaust and shave the weight there (approx. 35 lbs savings)

Old 03-16-2008, 02:54 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
^ +1

The hardtop convertible looks funny IMO, and adds I think 3-400lbs!!!!!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:53 PM
M5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by WyattH
^ +1

The hardtop convertible looks funny IMO, and adds I think 3-400lbs!!!!!
What! Wow, that's a lot of weight, very high up. I agree, the look isn't quite as pleasing with the top up, but I love the flexibility of it.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:37 PM
aus
aus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud of
To the OP, were you in the M-dynamic mode for the DTC? You'd have to be pushing it pretty hard to activate the traction control in that mode.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Scryer_360 is infamous around these parts
Why am I subscribed to this thread?

Oh right, I commented..... damn, its only 1 am and I'm already this drunk? What happened to my built up immunity....

Old 03-20-2008, 12:13 AM
Banned
EEGPorches is infamous around these parts
nice write up!
i would love to test one too!

Old 03-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by aus
To the OP, were you in the M-dynamic mode for the DTC? You'd have to be pushing it pretty hard to activate the traction control in that mode.
I wasn't driving, but based on how it intervened, I'd say no it wasn't. There was no slip allowed, and it was cutting power significantly. The EDC was on full stiff, and I believe the Power button was activated. Some of the sales guys were tinkering around in it, with the motor started, and we just drove it out how they had it.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:21 PM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TYE
Verdict: M3 4 door for daily, gt3 for track and real fun
+1. You took the exact line out of my head. Kinda scary.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:15 AM
aus
aus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TYE
Verdict: M3 4 door for daily, gt3 for track and real fun
I would think a tuned 335 would be a much better daily driver given the significant torque advantage down low, and pretty much throughout the rev band. I haven't driven an M3 yet, but would think the majic would really start till around 5000 RPM, which is typical of M engines. I couldn't see getting up there on a regular basis for a daily driver.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by aus
I would think a tuned 335 would be a much better daily driver given the significant torque advantage down low, and pretty much throughout the rev band. I haven't driven an M3 yet, but would think the majic would really start till around 5000 RPM, which is typical of M engines. I couldn't see getting up there on a regular basis for a daily driver.
I understand what you're thinking, but lets not forget that not all M motors relied on revs. The E39 M5's V8 had an incredibly flexible, torquey motor.

With that being said, I'd say a 4-door 335i with automatic (yeah, I said it, the 6-speed manual box doesn't feel that great) is perhaps a better DD when considering price, practicality, and needs. If you're looking for more power after you get used to the car, do a Dinan software upgrade and exhaust. You'll be very happy with the car, and save $20K.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:46 PM
aus
Hell, get a JB2 piggy back for less than $400+ cheap intake cone filters and some downpipes and for a little over a $1,000, you'd have more than 400 crank HP. And 400+ ft/lbs of torque.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by aus
Hell, get a JB2 piggy back for less than $400+ cheap intake cone filters and some downpipes and for a little over a $1,000, you'd have more than 400 crank HP. And 400+ ft/lbs of torque.
Yep, and when that unproven transmission fails, or you blow a turbo, you're screwed. I'll take the R&D proven product with factory matched warranty.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E90 M3: My Impressions