BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

E90 M3: My Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:41 PM
M5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of light
E90 M3: My Impressions

Was up in Portland this weekend and spent some time at work, which was good timing because we got two M3's in. Both coupes, with full loads and black Extended Novillo leather, one is Carbon Black, the other Alpine White.

Aesthetically, I thought it looked good, a nice improvement over the 335, even with the aerodynamic kit. The mirrors, front fascia, quad exhaust, and stance were all very tasteful but appropriate for the car. The 19" wheels are a good size, but similar to the E46 M3, they protrude and are wrapped in PS2's that are a little too thin. Because of this, the appearence isn't 100% "right" looking... a small gripe, but still. Color wise, I liked the Alpine white more, as the blacked out trim had great contrast and the aggressive lines were more noticable.

The interior had a nice layout, good seats, nice chunky steering wheel, nice room, etc.. I think the 3 series body is fit for coupe form, and is too cramped in the sedan. The Extended Novillo leather upgrade is minimal for the price, it's just some extra leather by the emergency brake and shifter and underneath and around the steering wheel. It's not nearly as noticable as the Merino package in the M5/M6. One option that is definitely worth the price is the "Enhanced Premium Sound" stereo. Accurate, clean, tight bass, and doesn't distort at higher volumes one bit. The best stereo I've heard in a BMW, and I've heard quite a bit of them.

The motor... what a great engine. Torquey, smooth and linear, but extremely flexible. It never hits you super hard, but always give a strong, consistent pull to your gut. Never experienced the whole powerband to redline, but I'm sure the upper half of the revs are even better than the midrange (4,000-6,000RPM). The adaptive suspension was great, and even on the stiffest setting is compliant and never bothersome. DSC was overly intrusive, cutting power and intervening whenever coming out of corners in a spirited manner, and not allowing any play. The sound is incredible, to really appreciate it you need to open the moonroof or roll down the windows, which is definitely worth it. Not sure how to explain it, but it's a refined and highly tuned V8 sound. Think E39 M5 with exhaust in a smaller package. It's one of the best aspects of the car, so enjoyable to listen to, and such a great fit. I was always dissapointed with the sound of the stock E46 M3 exhaust.

Overall, I was very impressed. I'll take my coupe in Alpine White on Fox Red Novillo Leather, loaded up with everything.

Last edited by M5Kid; 03-11-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:23 PM
czechchamp has a spectacular aura aboutczechchamp has a spectacular aura aboutczechchamp has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by M5Kid
Was up in Portland this weekend and spent some time at work, which was good timing because we got two M3's in. Both coupes, with full loads and black Extended Novillo leather, one is Carbon Black, the other Alpine White.

Aesthetically, I thought it looked good, a nice improvement over the 335, even with the aerodynamic kit. The mirrors, front fascia, quad exhaust, and stance were all very tasteful but appropriate for the car. The 19" wheels are a good size, but similar to the E46 M3, they protrude and are wrapped in PS2's that are a little too thin. Because of this, the appearence isn't 100% "right" looking... a small gripe, but still. Color wise, I liked the Alpine white more, as the blacked out trim had great contrast and the aggressive lines were more noticable.

The interior had a nice layout, good seats, nice chunky steering wheel, nice room, etc.. I think the 3 series body is fit for coupe form, and is too cramped in the sedan. The Extended Novillo leather upgrade is minimal for the price, it's just some extra leather by the emergency brake and shifter and underneath and around the steering wheel. It's not nearly as noticable as the Merino package in the M5/M6. One option that is definitely worth the price is the "Enhanced Premium Sound" stereo. Accurate, clean, tight bass, and doesn't distort at higher volumes one bit. The best stereo I've heard in a BMW, and I've heard quite a bit of them.

The motor... what a great engine. Torquey, smooth and linear, but extremely flexible. It never hits you super hard, but always give a strong, consistent pull to your gut. Never experienced the whole powerband to redline, but I'm sure the upper half of the revs are even better than the midrange (4,000-6,000RPM). The adaptive suspension was great, and even on the stiffest setting is compliant and never bothersome. DSC was overly intrusive, cutting power and intervening whenever coming out of corners in a spirited manner, and not allowing any play. The sound is incredible, to really appreciate it you need to open the moonroof or roll down the windows, which is definitely worth it. Not sure how to explain it, but it's a refined and highly tuned V8 sound. Think E39 M5 with exhaust in a smaller package. It's one of the best aspects of the car, so enjoyable to listen to, and such a great fit. I was always dissapointed with the sound of the stock E46 M3 exhaust.

Overall, I was very impressed. I'll take my coupe in Alpine White on Fox Red Novillo Leather, loaded up with everything.
Very nice!!!

Old 03-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Scryer_360 is infamous around these parts
Did it ever feel its weight is what I want to know. Its a heavy car this.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:51 PM
TYE
TYE is infamous around these parts
I drove a fully loaded Sedan yesterday. My only complaints are I dont like the texture on the dash at all, its a shame extended leather doesnt include the top half of the dash as well. I also think the clutch pedal is way too soft/light. Ive seen reviews on the various boards posted about how the car is hard to shift or theres a lot of pedal feel, and quite honestly I cant help but laugh and wonder what kind of cars these people are coming from. Quite honestly, the clutch pedal feels like one in a japanese car (no offense to that). My stock sachs sport cluth in my e36 has a much heavier clutch pedal, more like the feel of a porsche clutch pedal. To each their own though, I just prefer a heavy feeling pedal. I also wish the seats got the euro seat bottoms.

Other then that, the car comes very nice out of the box and definitely pulls all the way to redline without falling short up top. It also feels better down low then the e60 m5, probably do to it being lighter. I didnt feel like I had to keep the thing in the upper power band to feel peppy, where as with the e60 m5 its lethargic to me until u get it up there. The car felt quite nimble. I believe the car will make a very good daily driver.

Having driven both the coupe and the 4 door, I prefer the 4 door more. Getting in and out of the back of the coupe is a pain in the ***, and im only 5'11. I also feel the coupe is too big for a coupe.

I dont look at the m3 as a sports car as some do, its more an intermediate car. If you want a real sports car, the m3 is not it. If you are looking for something you can drive daily, and is still comfortable and roomy, and still take out to the track and have fun, then the m3 is it.

Verdict: M3 4 door for daily, gt3 for track and real fun

Old 03-12-2008, 11:03 PM
eurospek is infamous around these parts
Great write up.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:48 AM
crispykid717 is infamous around these parts
To the op, were you driving on Hwy 26 headed east on Sunday afternoon? I could have sworn I saw a new black M3 as we were headed west bound right around 217 interchange. I turned around to look real quick but couldn't see.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Gusagain is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Scryer_360
Did it ever feel its weight is what I want to know. Its a heavy car this.
Yes. The coupe I test drove was very swishy, even after I figured out the I-drive system and got it into the M sport mode.

The seats and steering wheel are the only things I liked about the interior. The rest looked very cheesy and entry level 3 series looking!

Old 03-13-2008, 12:34 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by TYE
I drove a fully loaded Sedan yesterday. My only complaints are I dont like the texture on the dash at all, its a shame extended leather doesnt include the top half of the dash as well. I also think the clutch pedal is way too soft/light. Ive seen reviews on the various boards posted about how the car is hard to shift or theres a lot of pedal feel, and quite honestly I cant help but laugh and wonder what kind of cars these people are coming from. Quite honestly, the clutch pedal feels like one in a japanese car (no offense to that). My stock sachs sport cluth in my e36 has a much heavier clutch pedal, more like the feel of a porsche clutch pedal. To each their own though, I just prefer a heavy feeling pedal. I also wish the seats got the euro seat bottoms.

Other then that, the car comes very nice out of the box and definitely pulls all the way to redline without falling short up top. It also feels better down low then the e60 m5, probably do to it being lighter. I didnt feel like I had to keep the thing in the upper power band to feel peppy, where as with the e60 m5 its lethargic to me until u get it up there. The car felt quite nimble. I believe the car will make a very good daily driver.

Having driven both the coupe and the 4 door, I prefer the 4 door more. Getting in and out of the back of the coupe is a pain in the ***, and im only 5'11. I also feel the coupe is too big for a coupe.

I dont look at the m3 as a sports car as some do, its more an intermediate car. If you want a real sports car, the m3 is not it. If you are looking for something you can drive daily, and is still comfortable and roomy, and still take out to the track and have fun, then the m3 is it.

Verdict: M3 4 door for daily, gt3 for track and real fun
+1 to the bolded portion. its a luxo GT car, has been ever since the e46 m3 came out. i cant wait to drive it tho. i might opt for the sedan as its wider and has a slightly more agressive stance.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Great write up.

I just drove a coupe and i LOVED IT! Here is my take:

I walk up to the car...wow...what a cool looking car this is. The stance is sporty, the body lines are agressive, and the size seems just right.

I get in and the seat is NICE. It wraps me up and i adjust accordingly. Even being 6 foot 3 i had to move the seat up - which rules because normally i am dying for leg room.

Then i grip the steering wheel - holy cow - best steering wheel i have EVER felt on a stock car. Hit the start button a VRRRRRROMMMMM...the V8 sounds like pure sex.

I back out of the spot and pull up to the street. The gearbox is tight and sporty - but liveable for daily use it seems. Then i hit the gas - wow - this car MOVES (i was just driving my Cayenne so take this for what its worth).

I hit some twistys and the car REALLY shined. It felt great in all gears and the motor just sounds SICK at all rpms. I am instantly in love (normally not a huge BMW guy).

Then open the moonroof and crank the upgraded stereo..perfect! Turn on my heated seat and away i go. I rip some backroads and SLAM this car (sales guy went to my highschool hahaha).

Overall, for 70k out the door (fully loaded) i think this car rocks...

Old 03-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Jmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really nice
Originally Posted by Gusagain
Yes. The coupe I test drove was very swishy, even after I figured out the I-drive system and got it into the M sport mode.

The seats and steering wheel are the only things I liked about the interior. The rest looked very cheesy and entry level 3 series looking!
Couldn't the same be said about the E46 M3 vs E46 330?

Old 03-13-2008, 09:14 PM
momoney is infamous around these parts

This is the reason why i did not buy the new m3 hahaha

Old 03-13-2008, 09:38 PM
M5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of light
We should edit the above picture to "This is what happens if you don't understand oversteer."

Old 03-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Jmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really nice
Originally Posted by M5Kid
We should edit the above picture to "This is what happens if you don't understand oversteer."
The picture is funny since the Audi is known to understeer.Not the other way around.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by Jmoney
The picture is funny since the Audi is known to understeer.Not the other way around.
Haha, you're probably right, it was probably understeer that put him in that ditch, even though I don't want to admit it.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:28 PM
DrwVIP is infamous around these parts
I had a little seat time in both the coupe and the Sedan. I was pleased with both cars. The alpine white color matched the Carbon Fiber roof beautifully on the coupe. The Coupe & Sedan both have an aggressive stance, and the V-8 sounds like pure adrenaline.. The new M3 is the literally the ultimate daily driver for any horsepower junkie. I hope BMW brings the CSL version.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E90 M3: My Impressions