BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

? about the Dinan ecu reflash 335

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:58 AM
aus
aus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by M5Kid
You don't automatically loose the BMW warranty with the flash. Legally, BMW has to prove that your upgrades caused the failure in order to not honor warranty. Furthermore, I've never heard of Steve Dinan or his company screwing anybody out of warranty claims. What experiences do you have to validate your comments?
I don't see any claim anywhere in my statement. I hate when people try to read more into a statement than is written. If you want me to expand on my statement, that's not a problem.

I could easily see an issue comes up with a radiator leak or water pump going out (VERY COMMON with BMW's), and BMW saying it's the Dinan tune and Dinan saying their tune has nothing to do with it.
There are also reports of people haveing cylinder #5 and #6 getting cooked. Most with piggybacks on, but some without piggybacks. So what happens if your N54 cooks it's #6 cylinder? NO WAY in hell BMW will cover it with a Dinan flash. Dinan will come out and point out that it has happend on stock cars and their tune compensates for the heat generated by cranking up the flow of the electric water pump, so it couldn't be the flash.
Then there's the tranny. There was a long thread on E90 about the tranny being rated for around 325 ft-lbs of torque. What happens if it fails and your car has a DInan tune? Will Dinan pick up a new tranny? Luckily they seem to be holding up well thus far.

There have also been posts on E90 where Dinan won't honor warranty work if there are non-Dinan parts on the car, say an exhaust or intake from another company. Just seomthing to keep in mind.

Dinan lost a lot of credibility with me with the Z8 fiasco. Also, many of their naturally aspirated parts didn't come close to the claimed power increases for the E36 or E46 M cars. They claimed almost 20HP with an intake!!

Their parts are generally well engineered, and have some kind of warranty, but it's not that simple with warranties when there's a $20k engine involved that needs replacing.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:52 PM
JWC
JWC is infamous around these parts
Monday is the OP's dyno day we will see how it performs then. Nobody cares to make a guess on the numbers?

Old 03-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Kelton33 is infamous around these parts
Until somebody shows me proof that it voids your warranty, I am going to say that your claims that they will not cover it is wrong. So you are telling me that I can buy a $50,000 car new off the lot that has a voided warranty. If you can buy the car from BMW with the ECU flash new, how are they not going to not cover a factory upgrade under warranty. They have two cars on the lot where I bought my car that have the Dinan flash. One of the cars they use as a demo so people can see what it feels like if they want the upgrade. The mechanic that did my flash, rode with me after it to make sure that no check light come on. I told him about people were claiming that they may not cover the car because of the flash and he just laughed. I know that the Dinan is not the best bang for your buck but I think some of you guys are just haters because of the price.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Kelton33 is infamous around these parts
Had my car put on a dyno Monday. It was putting 319.31 RWHP. Thought I would get more but I guess it is not to bad. I would have liked to see about 325 to. Hope to take to the track in a few weeks. Will updated when I get some 1/4 mile times.

Last edited by Kelton33; 04-01-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:36 PM
M5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by aus
I don't see any claim anywhere in my statement. I hate when people try to read more into a statement than is written. If you want me to expand on my statement, that's not a problem.

I could easily see an issue comes up with a radiator leak or water pump going out (VERY COMMON with BMW's), and BMW saying it's the Dinan tune and Dinan saying their tune has nothing to do with it.
There are also reports of people haveing cylinder #5 and #6 getting cooked. Most with piggybacks on, but some without piggybacks. So what happens if your N54 cooks it's #6 cylinder? NO WAY in hell BMW will cover it with a Dinan flash. Dinan will come out and point out that it has happend on stock cars and their tune compensates for the heat generated by cranking up the flow of the electric water pump, so it couldn't be the flash.
Then there's the tranny. There was a long thread on E90 about the tranny being rated for around 325 ft-lbs of torque. What happens if it fails and your car has a DInan tune? Will Dinan pick up a new tranny? Luckily they seem to be holding up well thus far.

There have also been posts on E90 where Dinan won't honor warranty work if there are non-Dinan parts on the car, say an exhaust or intake from another company. Just seomthing to keep in mind.

Dinan lost a lot of credibility with me with the Z8 fiasco. Also, many of their naturally aspirated parts didn't come close to the claimed power increases for the E36 or E46 M cars. They claimed almost 20HP with an intake!!

Their parts are generally well engineered, and have some kind of warranty, but it's not that simple with warranties when there's a $20k engine involved that needs replacing.
I was simply asking if you had any personal experience with Dinan. Your most recent comments are strictly hypothetical, so my original questions stands. Have you ever heard of Dinan not honoring their warranty program to a customer?

Based on your post, I wouldn't see you as a likely candidate for any type of aftermarket software upgrade to the car, your faith in its reliability seems no existent.

Please don't take my comments in a personal way at all, I've been guilty of getting to drawn into similar conversations on the forum, but my posts are not meant in a offensive manner.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:59 PM
rooster3.0 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Kelton33
Had my car put on a dyno Monday. It was putting 319.31 RWHP. Thought I would get more but I guess it is not to bad. I would have liked to see about 325 to. Hope to take to the track in a few weeks. Will updated when I get some 1/4 mile times.

I expected smoother power delivery. For 2 grand and the fact that it's a flash, I'd expect a linear powerband. The peak numbers aren't terrible though.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:11 PM
aus
aus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by M5Kid
I was simply asking if you had any personal experience with Dinan. Your most recent comments are strictly hypothetical, so my original questions stands. Have you ever heard of Dinan not honoring their warranty program to a customer?

Based on your post, I wouldn't see you as a likely candidate for any type of aftermarket software upgrade to the car, your faith in its reliability seems no existent.

Please don't take my comments in a personal way at all, I've been guilty of getting to drawn into similar conversations on the forum, but my posts are not meant in a offensive manner.
http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/warranty

I have no personal experiece with Dinan software.
This is what I'm referring to:

Originally Posted by Dinan Warranty
•damage to a component or assembly due to the installation of replacement parts with specifications that differ in any material respect from the original vehicle manufacturer’s or Dinan parts, •damage resulting from the unauthorized modification of a Dinan part or assembly, •damage resulting from the use of other manufacturer’s products in conjunction with Dinan products or systems
If I were to get software/piggyback, I'd the the SSTT since it can be removed easily, leaving no trace it was there. Also, many BMW dealerships sell it, and many people from BMWNA seem to have it on their cars. It also produced similar numbers to this Dyno run. If I tracked a lot, I would consider the Dinan oil cooler since it's a beast compared to the wimpy stock unit.

I'm not a Dinan hater. I've said they make nice products, but this warranty for the flash is a little fuzzy for me, and this engine seems to have some issues that BMW will need to sort out, particularly with cylinder #6 overheating and a solenoid valve that's failed on non-tuned cars too.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:15 AM
markesq has a spectacular aura aboutmarkesq has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Kelton33
Do you have any SAE corrected numbers?

Old 04-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Darnell is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by aus

The fact that the cylinders # 5 & 6 have been cooked on stock vehicles is biggest reason BMW should have to honor your warranty. Our lawyer has taken both GM & Ford to court over similar issues and won on that very fact. If the problem only occurred on vehicles with tuning then yes it's easy to come to the conclusion that the tuning is to blame, but since that is not the case and stock vehicles are experiencing the same problems one can come to the conclusion that tuned or not the problem was going to occur.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:02 PM
2FST2C is infamous around these parts
i dont know if the risk of blowin my engine is worth a few extra hp's for me. dinan comes with warranty which is great but it is on the $$$ side.