BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6
View Poll Results: 2007 M5 or Nissan Skyline GTR?
Keep the M5
55.56%
Go for the Skyline GTR and flip seats forward daily
44.44%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Trade my 2007 M5 for a Nissan Skyline GTR?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:33 AM
richardsjames44 is infamous around these parts
Trade my 2007 M5 for a Nissan Skyline GTR?

Hey guys,

I purchased my used 2007 M5 less than 4 months ago and now I am considering selling it to buy a new Skyline GTR.

I purchased my fully loaded M5 ($97k MSRP) with 7,000 miles for $80,000 in December, which at the time I thought was a great deal. However, it seems the prices of M5's have continued to steadily drop since I bought the car. In fact, it seemed values dropped $5,000 after the first of January. I am guessing my 10k mile car is now probably only worth $70k max today only 3+ months later. I am really concerned the depreciation is not going to slow down and my car will be worth high $50's this time next year.

I love the M5 and have already started modifying it with 20" wheels, headers, exhaust and suspension upgrades, which has given the car the much needed edginess to near sport sedan perfection.

However, the combination of continued high depreciation concerns and all the hype I have read about the new Skyline GTR's stunning performance has made me consider replacing the M5. The M5 is my only car that I use daily, but I never carry passengers except for my 2 small children (4 and 6 years old) who I drive daily. I read in a recent test article that the GTR's backseat is actually roomy enough for full-size adults. I drive on the street 99%, except for maybe 2 track events each year.

Would you guys forgo the convenience of having 2 extra doors of the M5 to be behind the wheel of Japan's greatest supercar with 997 turbo beating performance?

Thanks
James

Last edited by richardsjames44; 04-04-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:36 AM
marksk1 is infamous around these parts
Id say no.. I just think the GTR is HIDEOUS, however, it is an amazing machine I cannot deny that fact!

Old 04-04-2008, 04:29 AM
Banned
epik is infamous around these parts
It's your choice in the end you know. Just think long and hard about what you really want.

Personally I think the R35 is incredibly sexy. I didn't think so at first but god it gets better every time I look at it. And it does indeed look much better in person, inside and out.

No BMW keeps up with it, it's already taken down Z06, GT3, V8 M3, and it's not even officially released for most of the world. But of course it's still a Nissan and if you hang with the type of people who are sensitive about brands you might want to keep the Bimmer.

Good luck finding one at MSRP though, I've heard some dealers have sold as low as 72k but now the waitlist is probably long as hell.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:08 AM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
For a DD, I would never in a million years sell an E60M5 to pick up a GTR. As a second car, hell yeah. I know the looks of the GTR turn alot of people off. I happen to like it OK. The perfromance speaks for itself but as a DD I just don't think it makes sense on the surface. Granted, I have not sat in one. I have seen one in person and to have to climb in the "backseat" (if thats what you call it) of that thing (kid or not) as opposed to opening up a door would turn me off big time.

I'm actually starting to plan what to get next year myself and I started out thinking GTR but now I am really thinking slightly used E60M5 or new E92M3 because they would both be much better daily drivers than a GTR.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:19 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by amerlemans
For a DD, I would never in a million years sell an E60M5 to pick up a GTR. As a second car, hell yeah. I know the looks of the GTR turn alot of people off. I happen to like it OK. The perfromance speaks for itself but as a DD I just don't think it makes sense on the surface. Granted, I have not sat in one. I have seen one in person and to have to climb in the "backseat" (if thats what you call it) of that thing (kid or not) as opposed to opening up a door would turn me off big time.

I'm actually starting to plan what to get next year myself and I started out thinking GTR but now I am really thinking slightly used E60M5 or new E92M3 because they would both be much better daily drivers than a GTR.
+1...if you want a little more 'fun' car, wait a little while, and pick up an m3 sedan, that way you get the best of all worlds. yes, a gtr will still embarass any m3, but the m3 sedan is much lighter than an m5, had just as good of a power/weight, and is more nimble. wait 12 months and the m3 will be high 40s low 50s.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:40 AM
HobbsE46 is infamous around these parts
Keep the M5 for sure!

Old 04-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
Tough choice as they are completely different cars. I had the opportunity to see one in person and pictures do not do the car justice!! I would say do it. The car is AWD and usable in ALL occasions. Best thing about it is how easy it is going to be to mod that thing. Japanese tuners already got close to 700 crank hp with just an exhaust and a tune!

Old 04-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
m5 regardless of the situation.
it might be a good idea to see how GTR does during their first year production

Old 04-04-2008, 08:32 AM
stevenshin is infamous around these parts
I hate to say this, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the value of the M5's drop to the 50's next year. There seems to be a handful of M5's and M6's on the market, and with the economy the way it is, plus the 12-14 mpg average, it doesn't look pretty. Try selling a big SUV in this market. It's hard. People are quick to say that you shouldn't buy a car based on its resale or as an investment. And normally, I would tend to agree. But with resales getting THAT bad, it just makes financial sense to either avoid the situation or, if it is too late, get out. My '08 is a lease with a 72% residual. Thank God.

Having said all that, the GTR, in my opinion, is ugly. I don't care if it is a tenth of a second faster in 0-60 times than a 997TT, to me, it just isn't in the same league as an M5/M6/997TT/R8 etc. Same reason why most people agree that Vipers and Z06's aren't either.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:38 AM
sleekmotoring is infamous around these parts
If it were up to me, I would keep the M5, unless you want some little high school boys envying you .

Dont get me wrong, the Skyline sounds like it may be an impressive vehicle, but I see it still being a rice rocket from the fast and the furious. Versus the M5 is luxury, sporty and classy all in one.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:03 PM
dhc
dhc is infamous around these parts
For a first year Skyline release vs an M5? I guess if you want a sports car, if you want class, lineage, and performance..why not a 997s?

Old 04-04-2008, 04:54 PM
996TTs is a jewel in the rough996TTs is a jewel in the rough996TTs is a jewel in the rough996TTs is a jewel in the rough
How bout a 2003 TT (Slate Grey) with 14,250 miles?

Old 04-04-2008, 06:41 PM
drill77 is infamous around these parts
hahah..i love it
you can tell this this a European car forum..

It really comes down to your choice..do you want all sport or do you want sport and luxury
if you are all sport, i can't think of a better car than the gtr. no car comes close to it within +100,000 range. I personally love the car, the bodystyle, the speed.

M5 on the other hand is a completely different beast, the class, style, speed package is unmatched by any other car.

its like comparing apples to oranges...

Last edited by drill77; 04-04-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:50 PM
epbrown01 is infamous around these parts
Trade a M5 for a GT-R? I've got the same feeling I get when I take a girl to a gourmet restaurant and she orders a turkey burger and diet coke.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:04 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
This will be a shock coming from me, but I say do it if you can get it for a good price, MSRP preferred and have the offer on the table. You can ALWAYS pick up an M5, and the value will only get better picking one up in 6 months to a year!

The GTR will be very drivable especially on a daily basis, don't know why people say it wont be?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trade my 2007 M5 for a Nissan Skyline GTR?