BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

raced c63 in my e92 m3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 06:15 PM
xandi911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JasonE30M3
Ive never driven an SMG car or a DCT obviously. If the car is in manual mode will it still shift for you if you dont like most cars with paddles or is it a true manual? I know in my IS 250 (which is in no way a sports car) in manual mode if you dont up shift it will for you anyway. What about the Benz? Same thing or is that more of an auto car?

Thanks
yess this is the worst thing! cars with this system, when you are revving it at maximum and decide to change... the car decide almost always together with you, and because this the cars change 2 gears, it means... 2nd it goes to 4th.... because you changed 1 and the car the other.

IMO manual is manual. let explode the engine.. but please dont change it. i DO!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:18 PM
crosvs is infamous around these parts
SMG and the new M DCT are not at ALL based on the same principal. And for that matter, neither is the AMG autobox.

SMG = the exact same 6SPD manual gearbox as in non-SMG cars, but with an electrohydraulic clutch. VERY difficult to be smooth. I had an SMG E46 M3 for 14 months. I think it would be great on a racetrack but it was really fatiguing around town.

M DCT = dual clutch gearbox like VW/Audi's DSG. Two clutches, one operates the odd-numbered gears, one operates the even-numbered gears. Based on a variety of factors, the next gear is "pre-selected" and ready to engage. So if you're flooring it in 2nd gear, 3d gear is ready to go. If you're braking, the reverse. I imagine that if you do the opposite of what the computer expects, there will be more of a delay of course. But I've test-driven the Audi TT with DSG and was blown away. You get the smoothness of a traditional automatic with the speed of a sequential gearbox. Best of all words.

AMG auto = just a manually shiftable automatic, albeit in hugely improved form: on downshifts, it will actually blip the throttle like one would to properly downshift a traditional manual gearbox, or the same with DSG/M DCT boxes do. Note that SMG II does NOT bip the throttle on downchanges, only SMG III does.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:52 AM
aus
aus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by crosvs
SMG and the new M DCT are not at ALL based on the same principal. And for that matter, neither is the AMG autobox.

SMG = the exact same 6SPD manual gearbox as in non-SMG cars, but with an electrohydraulic clutch. VERY difficult to be smooth. I had an SMG E46 M3 for 14 months. I think it would be great on a racetrack but it was really fatiguing around town.

M DCT = dual clutch gearbox like VW/Audi's DSG. Two clutches, one operates the odd-numbered gears, one operates the even-numbered gears. Based on a variety of factors, the next gear is "pre-selected" and ready to engage. So if you're flooring it in 2nd gear, 3d gear is ready to go. If you're braking, the reverse. I imagine that if you do the opposite of what the computer expects, there will be more of a delay of course. But I've test-driven the Audi TT with DSG and was blown away. You get the smoothness of a traditional automatic with the speed of a sequential gearbox. Best of all words.

AMG auto = just a manually shiftable automatic, albeit in hugely improved form: on downshifts, it will actually blip the throttle like one would to properly downshift a traditional manual gearbox, or the same with DSG/M DCT boxes do. Note that SMG II does NOT bip the throttle on downchanges, only SMG III does.
That's not entirely true. the SMG III was an SMG specific tranny and you could not shift it with a lever. As for shifting smoothly with an SMG II/III, I had no problem, but there is a technique to it. If you're talking about the auto mode, then it's definitely not that smooth.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:58 AM
aus
aus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mchctsV
i havent tried it becuase i dont want to over rev my car if it doesnt shift but im pretty sure it wont shift for you in m mode
The SMG on M-cars will bounce of the rev limiter. They will NOT upshift for you in manual mode.
And how does an auto miss a shift?

Guess you skeptic's haven't seen this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEedZ4pyhSg

And it's manual car too.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:44 PM
James PA is infamous around these parts
I thought it was going to be atleast one year before the non-manual m3s came to the states (smg IV or DCT or whatever) I haven't even read a single review of this transmission, let alone hear that any were in the states.

How is it compared to smg III?

Old 05-05-2008, 08:49 PM
James PA is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by aus
That's not entirely true. the SMG III was an SMG specific tranny and you could not shift it with a lever.
This is correct. With the seven speed SMG they placed first and second gears where they could be supported the best, since they take the most beating. This would make a manual transmission 'H' layout incredibly difficult to shift through since the gears would not be in line (ie 1,2,3,4,5,6,7). I cn't even imagine would the gate would look like, but prolly something like
1 5 6 2

R 3 4 7 or an equally PIA setup.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:00 PM
cargo8 is infamous around these partscargo8 is infamous around these parts
hmmm... 297 lb ft vs. 443 lb ft off a roll...uhhh

Old 05-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Why are you guys even discussing an E46 M3 (unless its modded to hell and back) vs a C63 MB. I thought the discussion was re: E92M3 vs a C63.

****, my 335 with SSTT has already walked a number of E46M3's.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Mr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to behold
This is an age old debate. The C-class vs the BMW 3 series and the Audi A/S/RS line. I drove a E92 M3 yesterday and I was blown away. The car was prefect in every way. The balance, the power, the exhaust note, and the interior quality (the car had extended novillo leather) were all very good. The E46 M3 in comparison was a heap. BMW really got it right this time. The exterior also looks very good. It has nice curves and an aggressive stance.

The 63 is the torque monster and is slightly faster in a straight line, but honestly who cares? Look at the rest of the car, it's garbage. The interior is CHEAP, very cheap. The C32/C55 was CHEAP, but this is even cheaper. There is plastic everywhere, it feels like a neon - literally. It's not a very pretty car either. Looks like a butchered E-class, no road presence. I won't even mention the RS4 since I absolutely despise Audi's for their intended subtleness - totally not my cup of tea.

Bottom line the E92 M3 is a much better all around package. You're getting great power, good looks, excellent interior quality, and just something special. With the C-class you're getting a big engine. I'm going to look like a fool saying this, but if you really want a torque monster with some bling get a Mustang Cobra and throw a Kennebell in there.

E92 M3 FTW!!!

Last edited by Mr.PS; 05-24-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:36 PM
cargo8 is infamous around these partscargo8 is infamous around these parts
^ * you mean barely matching power, good looks, poor plastic inerior quality, and i agree, something special. with teh c class you are getting a big engien witha MEAN exhaust note.

They're all great cars, come on... whats so bad abt subtlety btw?

Old 05-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Mr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cargo8
^ * you mean barely matching power, good looks, poor plastic inerior quality, and i agree, something special. with teh c class you are getting a big engien witha MEAN exhaust note.

They're all great cars, come on... whats so bad abt subtlety btw?
Poor plastic interior quality? The C63 is on par with the Z06 in cheap plastic. Their flip up I-drive rip also sucks. Barely matching power? Have you driven either car?

I favor the exhaust note of the M, but that's just my opinion. I can afford both cars, but I'd definitely go for the M.

About subtlety, It's just not something I'm into. It's all personal preference dependent on ones personality.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:26 AM
Amiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mr.PS
This is an age old debate. The C-class vs the BMW 3 series and the Audi A/S/RS line. I drove a E92 M3 yesterday and I was blown away. The car was prefect in every way. The balance, the power, the exhaust note, and the interior quality (the car had extended novillo leather) were all very good. The E46 M3 in comparison was a heap. BMW really got it right this time. The exterior also looks very good. It has nice curves and an aggressive stance.

The 63 is the torque monster and is slightly faster in a straight line, but honestly who cares? Look at the rest of the car, it's garbage. The interior is CHEAP, very cheap. The C32/C55 was CHEAP, but this is even cheaper. There is plastic everywhere, it feels like a neon - literally. It's not a very pretty car either. Looks like a butchered E-class, no road presence. I won't even mention the RS4 since I absolutely despise Audi's for their intended subtleness - totally not my cup of tea.

Bottom line the E92 M3 is a much better all around package. You're getting great power, good looks, excellent interior quality, and just something special. With the C-class you're getting a big engine. I'm going to look like a fool saying this, but if you really want a torque monster with some bling get a Mustang Cobra and throw a Kennebell in there.

E92 M3 FTW!!!
You are not biased...at all
Going back to the thread, i dunno if the C63 was trying...i don't wana say the OP was lieing but it seems very unlikely.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by Amiricanmade
You are not biased...at all
Going back to the thread, i dunno if the C63 was trying...i don't wana say the OP was lieing but it seems very unlikely.
Really, I'm not. If the C63 was the better car I'd go for it. I really prefer no one brand over the other. Mercedes has some cars that are much more desirable over their BMW competitors, but the C63 is not one of them.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Amiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mr.PS
Really, I'm not. If the C63 was the better car I'd go for it. I really prefer no one brand over the other. Mercedes has some cars that are much more desirable over their BMW competitors, but the C63 is not one of them.

It sounded like you were a M3 owner . I will be in the market in a year once the C63 and M3 are both used, i love everything about the M3, and the only thing i like about the C63 is the power...i wish the M3 had C63's engine

Old 05-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Amiricanmade
It sounded like you were a M3 owner . I will be in the market in a year once the C63 and M3 are both used, i love everything about the M3, and the only thing i like about the C63 is the power...i wish the M3 had C63's engine
I prefer the high revving goodness of the m3 to be honest. Torque and power will be fulfilled by a Turbo in the near future.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: raced c63 in my e92 m3