BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

My 335i's warranty has been voided. Need Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Jmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really nice
That sucks on my First 335 I had over 45k tuned miles on it. No issues except the fuel pump which was replaced and my car was obviously modified.I just bought my second 335 Saturday and had a JB3 tune installed immediately after delivery.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:45 PM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
santa monica BMW has the worst service in my experience. hopefully they have not entered your VIN to the data base. serveral dealers that were always mod-friendly were Beverly Hills, Assel, and Nick ALenxander. stay away from Bob smith as well. people at centers are just dumb... maybe they won't know what a chip is!!

Old 09-01-2008, 04:15 PM
2fast455 is infamous around these parts
Not sure if BMW is as bad as GM when it comes to voiding warranties and blacklisting you in the system. I had a warranty voided by Ramp Hummer on an supercharged H2 because I did not have them install it. They were at the time an authorized Magnuson supercharger dealer/installer and sold same supercharger package. They voided powertrain and electrical with GM and flag me in system by VIN and name. I tried going to another dealer for work and it came up flagged. 2 years latrer I went to have warranty work on an 05 Vette and name was still flagged. They had to have a regional rep come inspect the Vette before any warranty work was to be performed.

Magnuson-Moss act is suppose to provide recourse but unless you have as deep pockets as BMW think you will soon realize it's an uphill losing battle. In the long run it will be cheaper to pay out of pocket for repairs.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:22 PM
MCars is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jmoney
That sucks on my First 335 I had over 45k tuned miles on it. No issues except the fuel pump which was replaced and my car was obviously modified.I just bought my second 335 Saturday and had a JB3 tune installed immediately after delivery.
How did you get a tune on a "new" 335i???....I was under the impression that since BMW went to a MSD81 ECU there were no tunes available as of yet...as of today not even Dinan has a tune for the newer build 335i's with this new ECU.
BTW for the original poster..thought you might find these facts interesting:

On the 335i:
  • Ships with MSD80 DME
  • BMW introduced CIP 29.2 software which is rumored to have a tune detect mechanism
  • Once you take your car into service, and a diagnostic head is connected to the car, BMW will get a read out of all your error codes through FASTA data
  • It is rumored that BMW has slipped in a code that indicates a tune has been used in CIP 29.2
  • MSD80 is protected by 1024 bit RSA encryption but somehow Dinan has the password to flash this DME
  • 29.2 also seems to deaden the throttle on 335i
  • From March 2008 on, BMW switched from the MSD80 to MSD81 ECU
  • It is rumored there are more countermeasures against tuning in MSD81
  • No one has cracked the RSA encryption for MSD81 yet so Dinan has not been able to flash
  • Piggybacks and the SSTT seem to still work on MSD80 / CIP 29.2 but the scare is the DME is aware of the tune and has tracked it with a hidden code
Good Luck
S

Old 09-01-2008, 09:48 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sinned
Doesn't AA provide their own warranty for a certain period of time for their software?

AA's warranty is a total joke.. I know of plenty of people that got bent over by them while trying to make a legitimate claim on faulty hardware.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:27 PM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
Good to know now that I have my e60 M5. I will not go to Santa Monica. Can anyone recommend a good SA at BH BMW? I bought mine from McKenna but to far to go for service.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:34 PM
rmani is infamous around these partsrmani is infamous around these parts
sorry to hear this happened. definitely try another dealer and maybe just go in and be upfront with them about what happened and maybe you'll have better luck. definitely try out an independent mechanic as well.

I'd seriously call AA and ***** the living **** out of them that sucks.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:40 AM
Jmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really nice
Originally Posted by MCars
How did you get a tune on a "new" 335i???....I was under the impression that since BMW went to a MSD81 ECU there were no tunes available as of yet...as of today not even Dinan has a tune for the newer build 335i's with this new ECU.
BTW for the original poster..thought you might find these facts interesting:

On the 335i:
  • Ships with MSD80 DME
  • BMW introduced CIP 29.2 software which is rumored to have a tune detect mechanism
  • Once you take your car into service, and a diagnostic head is connected to the car, BMW will get a read out of all your error codes through FASTA data
  • It is rumored that BMW has slipped in a code that indicates a tune has been used in CIP 29.2
  • MSD80 is protected by 1024 bit RSA encryption but somehow Dinan has the password to flash this DME
  • 29.2 also seems to deaden the throttle on 335i
  • From March 2008 on, BMW switched from the MSD80 to MSD81 ECU
  • It is rumored there are more countermeasures against tuning in MSD81
  • No one has cracked the RSA encryption for MSD81 yet so Dinan has not been able to flash
  • Piggybacks and the SSTT seem to still work on MSD80 / CIP 29.2 but the scare is the DME is aware of the tune and has tracked it with a hidden code
Good Luck
S
Old news bro Juicebox Stage 3 is undetectable lots of people have that tune and its the best tune there is PERIOD. Works for both old/new ECU's I did get a car with 2/08 build (it was a demo) so I have the last of the old ecu models. But I know the creator of BMS Juicebox and he has tested this fully on his personal 135i. Theres nothing to be scared of unless you're silly enough to leave the "piggyback" in there for service thats about all you can do to flag yourself. Luckily with the JB3 you can get it completly plug n play so no cutting and no messing with taking pins out of the OEM connectors unless your trying to save money as the Plug n play part is optional.On my last 335 I hit just under 400whp/434wtq with the older JB2 product I now have the latest JB3 product which is far superior and once I get the supporting mods (i.e. Downpipes/Intercooler) I'll be back up there in no time but as it is the car is a rocket. at 350whp/373 wtq with JUST the JB3 and 91 octane NO other mods.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:43 AM
Originally Posted by ezmoney888
Good to know now that I have my e60 M5. I will not go to Santa Monica. Can anyone recommend a good SA at BH BMW? I bought mine from McKenna but to far to go for service.
Try Southbay BMW I never had problems.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:46 AM
ogs
ogs is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jmoney
Try Southbay BMW I never had problems.
I agree. South Bay BMW is pretty good about taking care of cars with mods.

Got a tech friend down there if you need help...

Old 09-02-2008, 03:52 AM
kpxguy411 is infamous around these parts
I have a SSTT on my 335i (MY07) right now and from what I understand/understood when I bought it, as long as it is not on the car it is completely undetectable by the dealership. Is this true?

Old 09-02-2008, 11:10 AM
jtecnik is infamous around these parts
keep us posted

Old 09-02-2008, 11:39 AM
mchctsV is infamous around these parts
damn thats sucks

Old 09-02-2008, 02:34 PM
E39 ///M Power is infamous around these parts
maybe i missed something, but i didn't see any info on what the failure was. until you know what the failure is, you can't say the failure was caused by a modified part. until you can say the failure was due to a modified part, there is no issue with the warranty.

in any event, in sounds like they know you chipped your car, which means that future repairs that they can prove were needed as a result of the modification will be out of your pocket.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:02 AM
boogie is infamous around these parts
I'm taking my car to an independent shop to get it checked and they guy said he would reset the system back to factory standard. He doesn't guaranty it will solve the problems though. Hope all goes well

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 335i's warranty has been voided. Need Help