BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

M Coupe as a dd?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 02:31 PM
niqui is infamous around these parts
M Coupe as a dd?

hey,
I was wondering if anybody had experience with M COUPE.
I was looking at a new 2008 black with sepang interior, as a dd?
anybody have any thoughts or opinions.
for me, it would have to be a summer car....snow.
but other than that is it too hardcore for a daily care, also is the manual transmission on that car really hard in traffic...i drove it a bit, but never in traffic, i heard its a pain.
thanks

Old 11-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Giovanni B is a jewel in the roughGiovanni B is a jewel in the roughGiovanni B is a jewel in the rough
Me and my wife traded back and forth between a Cayman S and M Coupe before trading both cars in for a DCT V8 M3.. The M Coupe is definately not as smooth and kind of a pain to shift. My wife always preferred the Cayman for that reason.. It's still a very neat "rare" BMW that has a lot of character and good power.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Jorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant future
U must not drive a manual. LOL.
Any BMW 6spd is easier to drive than a P-Car Manual.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:40 AM
epbrown01 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by niqui
I was wondering if anybody had experience with M COUPE. I was looking at a new 2008 black with sepang interior, as a dd?
That's the combo I wanted! Isringhausen BMW had one for sale last winter, I called the day after they sold it. I wound up with my black/black one about a week later. (See avatar)

Mine is my daily driver (just passed the 10k mile mark) and made it fine through winter in Chicago last year, but how practical that is depends on your threshold. I've daily driven all my sports cars, so I have a high threshold for their foibles. The trickiest part for the M Coupe in day-to-day driving is that long nose with its low spoiler and poor rear visiblity. I've had practice with the former (I had a Z4 roadster first) and with good mirror adjustments you can conquer the latter.

The low nose also doesn't work too tell with snow and I worry about Chicago's pot-holes, so this winter I'm looking to get a beater (okay, a E46) for winters and those times when a rear seat would come in handy. The rest of the time, it's been great. Since 2006, I've only seen two other Z4 coupes, which is kinda cool, but you're also permanently lo-jacked. I get a lot of "Hey, I saw your car over at..."

Old 11-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
I don't think an M coupe is the best DD...

Old 11-17-2008, 12:00 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
Own an M3 and use it as my daily driver.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:04 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
i DD it for about 6 months. great car & hell fun to drive. but it's very bumpy & got its personality. BMW manual needs sometime to get used to. Cayman is much easier to drive but like i said M coupe has more personality. one of the most fun car i've owned.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:55 PM
niqui is infamous around these parts
hey guys thanks again.
i drove the cayman stick no problems, had to ride the clutch a bit on the coupe my first time...so as a dd i guess not, does it compare to the new m3 in terms of fun...do you find the stick on the new m3 more forgiving than on the coupe..or would you just go dct?
thanks

Old 11-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Jorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant future
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by niqui
hey guys thanks again.
i drove the cayman stick no problems, had to ride the clutch a bit on the coupe my first time...so as a dd i guess not, does it compare to the new m3 in terms of fun...do you find the stick on the new m3 more forgiving than on the coupe..or would you just go dct?
thanks
Bottom line is what you prefer. Anyone can tell you what they prefer and what they don't. I know ppl who dd their lotus
So, Why don't you just spend a weekend and drive the cars for yourself and see ? If you want someone to go with you , just ask me, i am free.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:49 PM
RickyM3 is infamous around these partsRickyM3 is infamous around these parts
I have an 08 M3 Coupe, 6spd and use it as a daily driver. I love it and is not hard in traffic! Lots of fun...!

Old 11-17-2008, 10:13 PM
C70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these parts
I love the daily manners of the M3.... insulated... quiet and comfy when you want it and then BLAM... unleash the monster on an open twisty road.... really is the best of both worlds... they did a great job with the new one... have they fixed the DCT issues?

Old 11-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Banned
MBRP is infamous around these parts
I just bought a M3 for a DD and am loving it. Had a 911 TT before this one and like the M just as much as a DD. The 6 speed is a little sloppy IMO.

MB

Old 11-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Giovanni B is a jewel in the roughGiovanni B is a jewel in the roughGiovanni B is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Jorgeassoc
Bottom line is what you prefer. Anyone can tell you what they prefer and what they don't. I know ppl who dd their lotus
So, Why don't you just spend a weekend and drive the cars for yourself and see ? If you want someone to go with you , just ask me, i am free.

I did that too (Lotus) for a full year.. I replaced it with the Z4 M Coupe and then got the Cayman a few months later.. LOVE the Lotus, it's a pain in the *** to get into but worth the effort. I'll eventually go back to an Exige..

I still can't figure out which car I prefer out of the two, I just think the Cayman shifting is much smoother than the Z Coupe.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by Giovanni B
I did that too (Lotus) for a full year.. I replaced it with the Z4 M Coupe and then got the Cayman a few months later.. LOVE the Lotus, it's a pain in the *** to get into but worth the effort. I'll eventually go back to an Exige..

I still can't figure out which car I prefer out of the two, I just think the Cayman shifting is much smoother than the Z Coupe.
For me it's a pain in the *** to get in and out
Sometimes ill be leaving the house, and then, oh snap i forgot something in the house. Out. and then in again.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Jorgeassoc
For me it's a pain in the *** to get in and out
Sometimes ill be leaving the house, and then, oh snap i forgot something in the house. Out. and then in again.
I remember that plenty of times