BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

Whats up with BMW dealers and M3 test drives?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:06 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Its the dealership or the attitude of the buyer plain and simple.

First couple weeks that the M was out had no trouble getting in one, 27/26 at the time. Did get my 08' 5 series and my moms 08' 3 series from them about two weeks later. I personally cannot stand the M3, its just not my type of car. It feels like it just wants to go all the time 100%. No relaxation and no just just going to work, it just wants to GO.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:13 PM
texeck is a jewel in the roughtexeck is a jewel in the roughtexeck is a jewel in the rough
In this economy? - with car sales at all-time lows? - no test drive is pathetic and ridiculous. Its not like they are taking orders for the M3 right now. Time to find another dealer.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:44 PM
TEK426 is infamous around these parts
Hey all, new to 6speed. I guess this will be my inaugural post.

I've been on int'l work assignment for awhile and will be returning to SF in a month or so and was looking for a new car to get into when I return. When I was in SF on business a month ago, I decided to see what the auto market looked like given the economy. Long story short, I was able to test drive a Cayenne GTS, Caymen S, Audi S5, 2008 M5, E46 M3, and E92 M3 (demo). All of the dealerships I went to (Rector Porsche/Audi, Stevens Creek BMW, Mountain View BMW; all norcal dealers) were more than willing to let me drive them right away (I drove up in a rental Altima Hybrid). For the record, SF BMW is horrible and I didn't spend more than 10 minutes in their lobby before walking out. My second and last time encountering suboptimal service there.

Ultimately, there are too many variables (dealership, sales rep, timing, your appearance on that day, your age, what you drive up in, intent to buy) that it's just luck of the draw. I wouldn't be surprised if someone who didn't get a test drive at dealer A on Monday could walk in on Friday and get one.

I ended up remotely buying a 2007 E46 M3 convertible (didn't drive it, but know what they're like) from Sterling BMW, which they will ship to my home in SF.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:07 PM
IUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to behold
There is no 07 e46 m3!! =P

Old 04-12-2009, 10:39 PM
TEK426 is infamous around these parts
Good catch, sorry '06.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:32 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
it mostly comes down to the dealerships. i've driven the demo M3 at the local BMW dealership several times (awesome dealership, btw). i've also driven an X5, X6, a pair of 328's, a 335 coupe, sedan, and 'vert, a 650i, a 528i, a 325ci, 330i sedan (which i ended up buying)... no hastle from them whatsoever.

my buddy went to the local Subaru dealership (a bunch of f***ing jerkoffs) and they wouldn't let him test drive an STi because it was too special. riiight.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:25 PM
beckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the rough
I remember that back in 2001 when everyone was crazy about E46. Indeed, one guy pulled the best move ever. He walked in asking for a test drive, salesman gave him the same B.S. about not allowing walk-ins to test drive the M3s. He said "I have cash in my pocket and ready to buy"...salesman quickly ran and came back with a key...two went to the test drive, salesman has a big smile on his face thinking a deal is done...the guy said "It's Ok, I'll call you later"...and left.

Anyway, back to E92. I went to a test drive a month ago, test driving a 08. Yes 08, I thought they would be super aggressive about letting those off the lot. We managed to do a test drive, but the guy was telling me to not go over 4k rpm the whole time, so that wasn't fun at all. Then went to another dealership, this guy really just asked me to floor it wherever possible. Hope that this one salesperson didn't turn you away from getting the M3, because it is an amazing car.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:10 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by aus
McKenna is one of the WORSE dealerships in SoCal. STAY AWAY from them.
Funny, its not first time I have heard negative comments about this stealership.....

Old 04-16-2009, 07:06 PM
DevJ is infamous around these parts
dude thats some major bull****. you just got a ***** of a sales associate. He probably thought you were not serious..go back and find another one!

Old 04-16-2009, 07:09 PM
DevJ is infamous around these parts
Oh yeah and I went to the used section of Classic BMW in Plano,TX and there was another ***** used car salesman and i asked to drive the used c63 amg. he told me 'oh we dont have the keys to it, they are in the service department.' BS. He just didn't want me driving the car..I told him I'd come back later with the associate that helped me buying my M3 and my Father's X5/M6

The look on his face was priceless!

Old 04-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Vekto911 is just really niceVekto911 is just really niceVekto911 is just really niceVekto911 is just really nice
Originally Posted by og risker
Went to Mckenna BMW last weekend to drive an E92 M3. Mind you, I just got done taking extended test drives in a 2009 Cayman S and a 2008 997 C4 earlier in the day. walked into the dealer, asked a sales associate abbout the new M3. He took me to the storage garage. Opened one up, turned it on...I then reached into my wallet to hand him my driver license, he then replied "sorry we have a policy to not allow test drives in M3s" WTF ?!. I really think I'm done with BMWs now...this guy lost a possible sale...

I agree. It is weird. Try another dealer.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:57 AM
1hard6 is infamous around these parts
I dont think the dealer did anything wrong... If it was like that then any little dumba$$ kid off the street would come in and say they wanna drive the beast... I Anybody who is serious and really knows this breed of car already knows what they are getting... I personally never drove both of my 07 650i's before I bought them.... I didnt even look at them... I made a phone and it was delivered to my office.... (no test drive ever)

just my 2 cents...

Old 04-18-2009, 03:38 AM
will175 is infamous around these parts
We went to test drive a E92M3 at BMW in concord. That was the first car of the night. We told the sales "lady" that we are also test driving the RS4 (Audi was right next door to BMW, you could see the RS4 sitting there) and then the C63. She did not hesitate at all about giving us a test drive. Copied my LIC then we were off, she kept praising the performance of the M3. Then I jumped in the driver seat after we left the lot, and I was keeping it cool and just cruising. She blurted out you need to get on it a little. The was some turns she took me to and then jumped on the freeway. Its liked she got excited the more I pushed it,lol. Very nice sales person. So good experience for me.

Nothing beat the test drive with the RS4 though. Went there shot the ****e with the very knowledgeable salesman about our previous/current Audi's. He copied my license and literally threw me the keys and said we close in about 1.5 hours, see you then. And I was off.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Bimmeristic has a spectacular aura aboutBimmeristic has a spectacular aura about
I guess if you look like money they'll treat you better and let you test out one of their toys!!!!

Old 04-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Banned
M3-ADDICT is infamous around these partsM3-ADDICT is infamous around these parts
As a prior experience selling high end Euro Cars, until I made sure the person had a valid job, and was serious he never got a key to any car. The people who are actually interested in buying, will come in sign papers and take the key. Most 98% of TEST DRIVE crowd, are just in it to play. It's a waste of gas, waste of miles put on a new car, and a sale's person's time.