BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

SMG Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:46 PM
2008911tt is infamous around these parts
SMG Transmission Question

I recently drove an 07 M6 with the 7-speed SMG Transmission. I like the car but was not pleased with the transmission lag when paddle shifting. Is this shift lag common to the SMG?

Old 07-24-2009, 05:37 PM
teflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant future
Which Drivelogic mode were you using?

Greg A

Old 07-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by teflon
Which Drivelogic mode were you using?

Greg A
During the test drive we used various modes but even with the Drivelogic set at 5 there was considerable shift lag. I was also wondering if you lift a bit on the throttle when paddle shifting if that makes a difference.

Last edited by 2008911tt; 07-24-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:29 PM
NickyBlack has a spectacular aura aboutNickyBlack has a spectacular aura aboutNickyBlack has a spectacular aura about
Put in in S6

Old 07-25-2009, 06:05 PM
MPower82 is infamous around these parts
S6 is the fastest shift. If it still shifts slower than any human, the clutch might be slipping.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:28 AM
Banned
blackburry has a brilliant futureblackburry has a brilliant futureblackburry has a brilliant futureblackburry has a brilliant futureblackburry has a brilliant futureblackburry has a brilliant futureblackburry has a brilliant futureblackburry has a brilliant futureblackburry has a brilliant futureblackburry has a brilliant futureblackburry has a brilliant future
My boss has a 2007 M5, and I notice the lag. My friend has a 2008 135i and the automatic transmission with paddles seems faster than SMG. It's just ridiculous, it's so quick.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:38 AM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
You need to be in S6 for the fastest shifts, but even in S5 my shifts are faster than yours. Btw, I never lift off the gas between shifts.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:52 AM
NickyBlack has a spectacular aura aboutNickyBlack has a spectacular aura aboutNickyBlack has a spectacular aura about
I don't lift off the gas either, you shouldn't but maybe your having clutch issues.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I am really bothered by the shift lag. I have read many posts regarding the SMG transmission. Some love it and some hate it. I have to believe something is not right with this car's transmission though because the lag is just too pronounced. I also see that BMW has come out with a new DCT transmission. That seems to indicate some dissatisfaction with the SMG? The car I drove had less than 14K miles on it. Downshifts were almost instantaneous but up shifts were very slow even when driven aggressively. I had expected something on the order of the PDK. At this point I think I will pass on the car purchase. I like everything about the car except that pronounced shift lag.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:58 PM
warzilla is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 2008911tt
Thanks for all the comments. I am really bothered by the shift lag. I have read many posts regarding the SMG transmission. Some love it and some hate it. I have to believe something is not right with this car's transmission though because the lag is just too pronounced. I also see that BMW has come out with a new DCT transmission. That seems to indicate some dissatisfaction with the SMG? The car I drove had less than 14K miles on it. Downshifts were almost instantaneous but up shifts were very slow even when driven aggressively. I had expected something on the order of the PDK. At this point I think I will pass on the car purchase. I like everything about the car except that pronounced shift lag.
I test drove an M6 last year and noticed the same thing you are writing about. It basically turned me off (and I drove that car for a long time, in all sorts of road conditions - i.e. highway, local, etc.) and since then have read and talked to enough people to know that its part of the transmission make-up and hence what keeps the M5 and M6 in my mind, a great M car.

I have the M3 with the M-DCT and there is no comparison between it and the SMG. M-DCT is what SMG should have been, go for a test drive to see for yourself. You won't have any questions after driving one.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by warzilla
I test drove an M6 last year and noticed the same thing you are writing about. It basically turned me off (and I drove that car for a long time, in all sorts of road conditions - i.e. highway, local, etc.) and since then have read and talked to enough people to know that its part of the transmission make-up and hence what keeps the M5 and M6 in my mind, a great M car.

I have the M3 with the M-DCT and there is no comparison between it and the SMG. M-DCT is what SMG should have been, go for a test drive to see for yourself. You won't have any questions after driving one.
Thanks for letting me know you had a similar experience. I am off to the dealer tomorrow. I have been debating on the 2007 M6 vs. new M3 for a daily driver. I really liked the M6 but that SMG tranny was not right. I will test drive a DCT.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:03 AM
Murtaza is infamous around these parts
People rarely answer this question properly and it's frustrating to read...

The higher the RPM you shift at, the faster the shift. Shifting at 2-3k rpm can take close to half a second while shifting in S6 @ 8000rpm will slam it in 60ms (something like that anyway).

It's one of the quirks of SMG, I don't like it either but the visceral feel of shifts at redline in S6 more then make up for it for me and many others. SMG is a funny transmission, I love mine but it did take some getting used to.

I'll always love the transmission that does the best job (in terms of acceleration) ala DCT, however I do think I will sorely miss the violent kick you get with SMG, closest you can get to a manual feel without the stick and 3rd pedal.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:36 PM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
Put it in the sportiest manual mode and turn on the MDM mode. This is the only way to drive this car.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:54 PM
warzilla is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Murtaza
It's one of the quirks of SMG, I don't like it either but the visceral feel of shifts at redline in S6 more then make up for it for me and many others. SMG is a funny transmission, I love mine but it did take some getting used to.
I think you hit it on the head, its a quirk. Something that makes you accept the car's faults. I rather have a car that does what I want it to.

Originally Posted by Murtaza
I'll always love the transmission that does the best job (in terms of acceleration) ala DCT, however I do think I will sorely miss the violent kick you get with SMG, closest you can get to a manual feel without the stick and 3rd pedal.
I don't know, when I'm hit the gears with the DCT, you feel some 'kick', or as my brother said when he drove it (with a smile and a giggle): "I love how when you up-shift at the high revs, it actually lurches forward. wow"

Old 07-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Murtaza is infamous around these parts
I think you hit it on the head, its a quirk. Something that makes you accept the car's faults. I rather have a car that does what I want it to.
In the end it's still an awesome driving experience and that's what counts. When you drive it aggressively, it does do what you want.

I don't know, when I'm hit the gears with the DCT, you feel some 'kick', or as my brother said when he drove it (with a smile and a giggle): "I love how when you up-shift at the high revs, it actually lurches forward. wow"
The kick in the M5/M6 on S6 shift makes passengers smile with glee, it's just bloody awesome. I hope DCT does have some kick as it is the future but from what I have heard, it's nothing compared to the kick of SMG.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SMG Transmission Question