BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

E46 M3 or Z4 M Coupe ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 12:27 PM
photogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nice
Originally Posted by elh0102
I have driven a Z4 M coupe on track. I could not find a driving position that allowed a workable heel/toe shift. I'm only 6', but have long legs. Obviously, that's something you will know immediately when driving one. Personally, since a two seater is under consideration, I recommend you drive a Cayman S. IMO, a much better driver's car, but again, purely subjective. As for "good cheap mods that give you reasonably good horsepower", there ain't none. I would not recommend buying either car with the intent of substantially increasing the horsepower.
I also recommend checking out the CS. Great car.
I have to ask however why you wouldn't recommend modding the car to add power? TPC turbo kit for CS has great reviews, and while not exactly very cheap, it's not that expensive either at $10k.
Or if you rather stay with N/A engine, good free flowing exhaust, GT3/race plenum and a tune should also be good for 35-40hp in case of CS. While it's not 'substantial' power gain my CS with SRP + Remus feels stronger, and all under $3.5k

Old 09-18-2009, 01:14 PM
elh0102 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by photogS
I also recommend checking out the CS. Great car.
I have to ask however why you wouldn't recommend modding the car to add power? TPC turbo kit for CS has great reviews, and while not exactly very cheap, it's not that expensive either at $10k.
Or if you rather stay with N/A engine, good free flowing exhaust, GT3/race plenum and a tune should also be good for 35-40hp in case of CS. While it's not 'substantial' power gain my CS with SRP + Remus feels stronger, and all under $3.5k
I've always preferred n/a engines. Turbos are fine, if the owner is willing to spend that much money and take the associated risks. I have messed with engines and cars a long time, and I've never done a major engine modification that I didn't regret. I have not looked into the TPC kit, but I suspect, assuming you want a track competent car, by the time you do everything (brakes, suspension, etc.), you will have a lot more than $10K in it.

I had an '08 Cayman S, loved it, but wanted more power. I found a great '05 GT3 for less than I paid for the Cayman. No car is perfect, but the GT3 satisifies me, and all I need to do for the track is switch brake pads.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:57 PM
photogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nice
I've always preferred n/a engines. Turbos are fine, if the owner is willing to spend that much money and take the associated risks. I have messed with engines and cars a long time, and I've never done a major engine modification that I didn't regret. I have not looked into the TPC kit, but I suspect, assuming you want a track competent car, by the time you do everything (brakes, suspension, etc.), you will have a lot more than $10K in it.

I had an '08 Cayman S, loved it, but wanted more power. I found a great '05 GT3 for less than I paid for the Cayman. No car is perfect, but the GT3 satisifies me, and all I need to do for the track is switch brake pads.
I agree totally, if you want to track it then not only you need suspension work done, but also need a stronger clutch and LFW. Brakes may be ok for lighter track use if you install track brake pads.

OP didn't specify however if he's tracking his cars or not. For street there are many CS owners with a TPC turbo on stock clutch and suspension, so for street you may not need anything else. Stock clutch may eventually give up, but you replace it when needed.

For tracking I agree used gt3 makes more sense as it's ready to go from the factory.

For street used '06 CS can be obtained for $32-$35k for a stripper and if you slap the turbo on you have close to 500hp on very conservative 5.5psi. Cayman suspension/brakes can handle this power IMO as long as you don't track it.

Congrats on the GT3 btw!

Old 09-18-2009, 03:13 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Poke around on M3forum and see what you find. There are a few nice Z4's with great wheel and tire set ups on there.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
Per request for modded M Coupes... Here's mine.

Name:  IMG_2795.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  342.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2797.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  300.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2290.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  258.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2299.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  197.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2303.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  226.2 KB

Old 09-21-2009, 07:56 AM
epbrown01 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Poke around on M3forum and see what you find. There are a few nice Z4's with great wheel and tire set ups on there.
M3forum has the most dead of the Z4 forums. M3forum had a project thread about Roman's white Z4M, but that was long ago; he's sold the car and now has an E92 M3. I'd go with Zpost.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:07 AM
I had an '08 Cayman S, loved it, but wanted more power.
I looked at the Cayman S when shopping in 2007, and while I really liked it, the lack of a limited slip differential and the fact it was under 300hp were issues. Every time I thought about buying it, I kept spending tons of virtual cash on mods, a problem I didn't have with the Z4MC. It had great feel, though, and they've bumped the power up a bit; still burns that the LSD is optional at that price-point.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:58 PM
ADubM3 is infamous around these parts
Wow, that's tough one. I think both are great cars.
E46M for the track and Z4M for the chick magnet?

Old 09-24-2009, 04:18 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
which one is better?
Whichever one you can get in alpine white with Imola red leather.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:33 PM
2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ADubM3
Wow, that's tough one. I think both are great cars.
E46M for the track and Z4M for the chick magnet?
LOL, are you sure about that? IIRC the E46M3 was the chick magnet and the Z4M is the dude magnet/track car

Old 09-24-2009, 04:44 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
LOL, are you sure about that? IIRC the E46M3 was the chick magnet and the Z4M is the dude magnet/track car
If anyone buys a car for chicks they are the biggest tool to ever walk the planet.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD
If anyone buys a car for chicks they are the biggest tool to ever walk the planet.
I disagree. There are three good reasons for any man to pursue a course of action: To protect his loved ones, to keep his word, and to get laid. You can debate the method, the quality of the results, the fiscal aspects, but I'll be damned if I'll argue with the reason.

Last edited by epbrown01; 09-25-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:10 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Between the two, Z4MC anyday over the m3. I agree with the post above, the Z4M is what they M3 should have been. Furthermore, the e9X m3 is what the e46 m3 wanted to be but wasnt. The e46 m3 is somewhat of a no mans land car to me at this point (ive owned 2, 2004 m3 and 2006 m3 competition). its wasnt a hardcore like the z4m, nor was it a comfy luxurious GT car like the e9x m3.
I would compare the z4m to a cayman S or a z4m vert to a boxster s as they are very similar in feel. the straight line punch is very very close (drivers race), and they both have great steering and refined, balanced chasis'.
The z4m excites in a way the m3 does/can not IMO. i feel much more pure and connected experience, not to mention it sounds better too (no tinny rasp, which i presume is due to a different exhaust layout, particularly in the true shaped x pipe.)

Last edited by PorscheC4; 10-05-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:22 PM
RaminGTI20 is a jewel in the roughRaminGTI20 is a jewel in the roughRaminGTI20 is a jewel in the roughRaminGTI20 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Sercan
Could you send me a link, I wasnt able to find any modded Z4 M's, what do people usually do to them to a get a few extra horsepower out of them ? Same with the M3 what are some good cheap mods that give you reasonably good horsepower ?

Thanks
you will love this picture thread then!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3818549&page=1

and i would choose the Z4m for myself because its newer, and every single person has an e46 M3! IMO the interior is lacking in both cars, but i prefer the Z4's. And Z4 will be a better handler as the short wheelbase, 330 RWHP and 6 speed will give u a blast to drive.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:24 AM
davey1015 is infamous around these parts
i love both, but prefer the M3