BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

E46 M3 or Z4 M Coupe ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Sercan has a spectacular aura aboutSercan has a spectacular aura aboutSercan has a spectacular aura about
E46 M3 or Z4 M Coupe ?

I know they both have the same motor, I was just wondering what you guys would think the better car was.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:11 PM
flyinbrian has a spectacular aura aboutflyinbrian has a spectacular aura about
I've had a Z3 M Coupe and an E46 M3, so not quite exactly what you asked, but the longer wheel base of the M3 made it a little less squirly.

I've heard the same about the Z4 in comparison, but can't speak from experience.

Don't get me wrong, I like 'em both.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Mario1999 is infamous around these parts
M coupe.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:55 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Both are fine examples of the M label. I have been liking the look of some of the modded Z4M cars lately.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Sercan has a spectacular aura aboutSercan has a spectacular aura aboutSercan has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Both are fine examples of the M label. I have been liking the look of some of the modded Z4M cars lately.
Could you send me a link, I wasnt able to find any modded Z4 M's, what do people usually do to them to a get a few extra horsepower out of them ? Same with the M3 what are some good cheap mods that give you reasonably good horsepower ?

Thanks

Old 09-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by flyinbrian
I've had a Z3 M Coupe and an E46 M3, so not quite exactly what you asked, but the longer wheel base of the M3 made it a little less squirly.

I've heard the same about the Z4 in comparison, but can't speak from experience.

Don't get me wrong, I like 'em both.
My brother had the S52 M Coupe and he said it was one of the best cars he has ever driven and he had a job at the Paul Miller BMW for a month or so and hes driven alot of cool cars . But I dont know why he like the S52 more than the S54.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
I've owned a Z3M and currently own both a Z4M and E46 M3. I've had the pleasure of modifying all 3 and tracking both the E46 and Z4M. Ultimately out of all 3 the Z4M is my absolute favorite. The only thing it lacks it a bit of practicality in comparison to the M. If you don't have the need for a rear seat go with the Z4M. If you often have friends ride with you or need to haul stuff around, go for the E46.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:32 AM
epbrown01 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Sercan
Could you send me a link, I wasnt able to find any modded Z4 M's, what do people usually do to them to a get a few extra horsepower out of them ? Same with the M3 what are some good cheap mods that give you reasonably good horsepower ?
Here's mine:

It's got Aero Kit side skirts, CSL wheels, and a Dinan 3.91 Final Drive swap (over the stock 3.62). Diff swaps are the most common performance mod - after that, you're pretty much calling ESS for one of their supercharger packages (525hp to start, up to 750hp versions available, I think). While there are tons of mods for the E46 M3, few of them transfer to the Z4Ms because a newer, faster ECU was used for us and the market is so small few tuners can be bother to re-do al their development. Simply switching to PS2s can make the car a force to be reckoned with, though.

The Z4Ms are essentially a lighter, more hardcore E46 M3 ZCP - if you need something practical, stick with the E46 M3. If you're planning a lot of track time, the Z4MC is gaining a lot of fans on the track, where they're apparently keeping up with GT3s even in stock form. And sit in one before you think about it - the cabin* is smaller, so it might not even be an option if you're tall or wide. I'm 6'1" and I barely make it with my helmet on.

It is my favorite car out of all I've owned. I love the engine, exhaust note, appearance. And with only 1800 coupes in the US, you don't see them everyday. In fact, since the model's release in 2006, I've seen four.

Last edited by epbrown01; 09-17-2009 at 10:36 AM. Reason: *You can't write c0ckpit?!
Old 09-17-2009, 01:14 PM
M6-QTR is infamous around these parts
I like both of them ... my friends are driving the M3 and they are so happy with the car. you can do a lot of modification to this car. the look and the engine. I dont know that much about the Z4M coupe .. I think it look nicer but you dont have rear seats .. some time you will need it .. that what happed to me when I had my old car . at the end go with what you like more .. good luck

Old 09-17-2009, 01:33 PM
chuckrim has a spectacular aura aboutchuckrim has a spectacular aura aboutchuckrim has a spectacular aura about
I like the m3 more, but to each his own.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:46 PM
photogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nice
you can't go wrong with either.
i'd probably opt for the m3, but z4m is a more unique, in fact I've seen only a few on the streets, while there were plenty of e46 m3 during their production

Old 09-17-2009, 09:56 PM
ventracing is infamous around these parts
Z4m all the way...Throw the right wheel on it and they are so exotic.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:21 AM
elh0102 is infamous around these parts
I have driven a Z4 M coupe on track. I could not find a driving position that allowed a workable heel/toe shift. I'm only 6', but have long legs. Obviously, that's something you will know immediately when driving one. Personally, since a two seater is under consideration, I recommend you drive a Cayman S. IMO, a much better driver's car, but again, purely subjective. As for "good cheap mods that give you reasonably good horsepower", there ain't none. I would not recommend buying either car with the intent of substantially increasing the horsepower.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Have had no problem heel/toe in my Z4M, usually wearing Pumas or the equivalent track shoes, but it's something I do every day. The M seems to have enough power for most tracks (aside from those with 1-2 long straights). With Intake / Header / Exhaust / Re-flash you can pickup 20-25hp and quite a bit through the mid-range. This combined with a good suspension and tires I've had no problems as of yet keeping/staying up with the majority of similarly classed cars at the track. It's not a Viper or 996tt in the straights, but holds its own in my opinion.

On the track the E46 does a great job as well, the Z4M takes a bit less to rotate due to it's shorter wheel base and lighter curb weight, but once you get the hang of it it's a joy to drive. To me the Z4M has felt much quicker around the track, but it takes a bit more finess than the E46 which definitely feels a bit more stable.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:44 AM
elh0102 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by onelove
Have had no problem heel/toe in my Z4M, usually wearing Pumas or the equivalent track shoes, but it's something I do every day. The M seems to have enough power for most tracks (aside from those with 1-2 long straights). With Intake / Header / Exhaust / Re-flash you can pickup 20-25hp and quite a bit through the mid-range. This combined with a good suspension and tires I've had no problems as of yet keeping/staying up with the majority of similarly classed cars at the track. It's not a Viper or 996tt in the straights, but holds its own in my opinion.

On the track the E46 does a great job as well, the Z4M takes a bit less to rotate due to it's shorter wheel base and lighter curb weight, but once you get the hang of it it's a joy to drive. To me the Z4M has felt much quicker around the track, but it takes a bit more finess than the E46 which definitely feels a bit more stable.

Yes, I think the driving position problem is something unique to me, at least I haven't heard many others complain about it. I'll also agree that nothing that I have driven is as forgiving or secure feeling on track as a well setup E46 M3. I recently bought an '05 GT3, and it's like riding a drugged horse, maybe you're in charge, but barely.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E46 M3 or Z4 M Coupe ?