BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

//m5 csl

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:31 AM
SpeedLimit? has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedLimit? has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedLimit? has a spectacular aura about
//m5 csl

BMW builds an M5 CSL

28 October 2009

BMW’s M division has built a special lightweight one-off version of the E60 M5 as part of the 25th anniversary celebrations for the iconic four door saloon.
Revealed this morning at BMW’s prototype workshop at the Nurburgring in Germany, the celebratory M5 is described by M division’s head of development, Albert Biermann, as “the M5 CSL we never built”.
Hi-res pictures of the BMW M5 special edition
Among the changes brought to the new car is a heavily modified version of the standard M5’s 5.0-litre V10 engine. The highly strung, 90-degree unit has been enlarged with a longer stroke taking its capacity up to 5.5-litres, making it the largest engine to ever feature in an official M-car.
Also included as part of the engine overhaul is a carbonfibre manifold boasting a increased capacity air box and a secondary oil cooler – the latter requiring modifications to the front bumper, which gains an additional air duct in the place usually dedicated to the license plate.
Official power and torque figures have not been released but Biermann hints the output peaks at “around 580bhp and close to 400lb ft”. That’s up from 407bhp and 348lb ft with the standard M5.
Channelling the added reserves back to the rear wheels is a beefed up version of the M3’s seven-speed double clutch gearbox. The Getrag engineered unit, operated via steering wheel mounted paddles or push/pull gear lever, supplants the standard M5’s sequential seven speed manual unit, offering smoother and more rapid gear shifts.
Further changes centre around the body, which receives a carbonfibre roof as part of a weight saving program that has pared a claimed 50kg from the standard M5’s 1830kg kerb weight.
BMW’s M division has also stripped down the interior, doing away with the standard front seats in favour of two carbon fibre backed pews, while the rear seat has been ditched altogether.
In terms of its suspension the new M5 remains close to the standard specification. “We’ve altered the mapping of the variable dampers but the geometry remains the same,” says Biermann.
No performance claims have been made for the powered-up-and-pared-down M5, but Biermann says it is “comfortably faster the standard M5’s 4.1sec 0-100km/h”.
He also confirmed to Autocar that the new one-off M5 it has already lapped the Nurburgring in the hands of long-time BMW race driver, Claudia Huertgen, in under eight minutes, making it some 20sec faster around the legendary German circuit than the standard M5.
“It’s a lot gutsier than the standard M5,” says Huertgen, who this year drove the new Alpina M6 GT3 race car in the FIA sportscar championship. “You can sense the added drive out of corners. There’s more bottom end shove. I’m pulling over 180mph under the bridge at the Doettinger Hohe [teh fastest point of the track]."
Yet despite the investment that has gone into creating the new uber-M5, Biermann says it is destined to remain a one-off.
“Right now we’re concentrating on the next-generation M5. This car has been fun to develop but there are no plans for production,” he says.

Greg Kable

credit to autocar, autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/244413/

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 10-28-2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: embedded link to another forum
Old 10-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Smokinsupra95 is infamous around these parts
That thing is badass...hopefully they will use it as a Ring Taxi

Old 10-28-2009, 11:35 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Why even tease us? They went to the trouble and now they won't produce it? Let me guess, they would rather to do another M SUV instead, perhaps based on the X3 now? WTF is your problem BMW?

Don't get me wrong, this thing is ridiculously awesome, but BMW needs to start producing CSL's not just show one off testers run around the ring.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:18 AM
NewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to all
Umm maybe because BMW would have a hard time recovering their investment from developing a production ready version.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Efterlyst27 is infamous around these partsEfterlyst27 is infamous around these partsEfterlyst27 is infamous around these partsEfterlyst27 is infamous around these partsEfterlyst27 is infamous around these partsEfterlyst27 is infamous around these partsEfterlyst27 is infamous around these parts
A four-door without rear seats.. turn off.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:36 AM
NewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to all
Honestly who would buy this car? 10 people at most?

Old 10-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NewSong
Honestly who would buy this car? 10 people at most?
It would be targeted toward the current M owner who would want a more exclusive, lighter, more focused M car and who has money, not you.

Who wanted the E46 M3 CSL? They all sold.

Who would want M SUV's? BMW is selling it them.

Honestly, you just do not understand. A production version of this would prove BMW is not just about the bottom line any more but that they still care about their hardcore enthusiasts.

Last edited by CURI0; 10-29-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by CURI0
It would be targeted toward the current M owner who would want a more exclusive, lighter, more focused M car and who has money, not you.

Who wanted the E46 M3 CSL? They all sold.

Who would want M SUV's? BMW is selling it them.

Honestly, you just do not understand.
Okay, I'll ignore your inferiority complex towards me, but you still didn't answer the question. Why would anyone buy a $100,000+ "performance" sedan with only TWO seats?

Since I'm not childish, and like to handle myself with class, I'll answer your questions.

1) Lots of people would buy a performance SUV like the X5M and X6M. Have you heard of the Cayenne, and its variants? It's one of Porsche's saving graces financially. SUVs have a purpose. Lots of seats, safer, and if they can run the 1/4 in 13 seconds, all the better. Porsche proved that a model based on that could be profitable (see, using actual empirical data to build a business model is better than just what you can come up with in your head while twiddling your thumbs sometimes).

2) The E46 M3 CSL wasn't even exported to the U.S because of DOT and EPA complications. So how would you know how this car would sell here in the U.S (the market we both reside in)? Obviously BMW didn't think it was a financial boom for them either because they killed the E92 M3 CSL project pretty early, unless you believe somehow BMW doesn't want more money.

You know there is a difference between running a profit driven business, and your personal desires, right?

Last edited by NewSong; 10-29-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Banned
Okay, I'll ignore your inferiority complex towards me, but you still didn't answer the question. Why would anyone buy a $100,000+ "performance" sedan with only TWO seats?

Since I'm not childish, and like to handle myself with class, I'll answer your questions.

1) Lots of people would buy a performance SUV like the X5M and X6M. Have you heard of the Cayenne, and its variants? It's one of Porsche's saving graces financially. SUVs have a purpose. Lots of seats, safer, and if they can run the 1/4 in 13 seconds, all the better. Porsche proved that a model based on that could be profitable (see, using actual empirical data to build a business model is better than just what you can come up with in your head while twiddling your thumbs sometimes).

2) The E46 M3 CSL wasn't even exported to the U.S because of DOT and EPA complications. So how would you know how this car would sell here in the U.S (the market we both reside in)? Obviously BMW didn't think it was a financial boom for them either because they killed the E92 M3 CSL project pretty early, unless you believe somehow BMW doesn't want more money.

You know there is a difference between running a profit driven business, and your personal desires, right?
Do you know what CSL stands for? The production version could be based on the M6. Manufacturers often test powerplants and transmissions in various bodies. Regardless, a CSL is by definition not a practical sedan. Why would anyone buy a CLK with only 2 seats? Didn't Mercedes delete those on what is essentially a sedan chassis? Did anyone complain?

Of course you are not childish, sure. Have I heard of a Cayenne? I own one, lol, I don't just type about it.

Did you ever hear about when M came out and said they would not produce an M suv? Now they have, essentially going back on their word. I'm not disputing the market for it. You do know they sacrificed the E92 CSL for the M SUV's, right? That is the issue, not the business case.

The E46 M3 CSL was not exported you say? No kidding, having owned an E46 M3 I'm all too familiar with it.

You do know the difference between enthusiasts and your average customer, right? You do understand your actions and how your project your image are important, right? What, is Lexus making more on the LF-A with its handful of units than the Camry?

Last edited by CURI0; 10-29-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:03 PM
Thumbs down

Do you know what CSL stands for? The production version could be based on the M6. Manufacturers often test powerplants and transmissions in various bodies. Regardless, a CSL is by definition not a practical sedan. Why would anyone buy a CLK with only 2 seats? Didn't Mercedes delete those on what is essentially a sedan chassis? Did anyone complain?

Of course you are not childish, sure. Have I heard of a Cayenne? I own one, lol, I don't just type about it.

Did you ever hear about when M came out and said they would not produce an M suv? Now they have, essentially going back on their word. I'm not disputing the market for it. You do know they sacrificed the E92 CSL for the M SUV's, right? That is the issue, not the business case.

The E46 M3 was not exported you say? No kidding, having owned and E46 M3 I'm all too familiar with it.

You do know the difference between enthusiasts and your average customer, right? You do understand your actions and how your project your image are important, right? What, is Lexus making more on the LF-A with its handful of units than the Camry?
I've sat in classrooms where Nobel laureates were talking about very technical subjects at an extremely high level, and after reading your post twice, I can't tell what point you're even trying to make.

First off, the E46 M3 CSL was not exported to the U.S, and if you had one, you either had to pay a crap load of money to DOT it, or you were driving one in the U.S illegally and could not have gotten it registered. Either way, not really a good case for proving that the CSL would be profitable.

As for your enthusiast and average consumer comparison, which category do you think you fall into? You own a Cayenne, a car meant as a sacrifice to the Porsche image so they could stay profitable. Or are you trying to claim otherwise? The simple fact that you own one PROVES that Porsche had the right idea when they thought that SUVs would be a profitable business model. You BOUGHT ONE genius.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:07 PM
Banned
I've sat in classrooms where Nobel laureates were talking about very technical subjects at an extremely high level, and after reading your post twice, I can't tell what point you're even trying to make.

First off, the E46 M3 CSL was not exported to the U.S, and if you had one, you either had to pay a crap load of money to DOT it, or you were driving one in the U.S illegally and could not have gotten it registered. Either way, not really a good case for proving that the CSL would be profitable.

As for your enthusiast and average consumer comparison, which category do you think you fall into? You own a Cayenne, a car meant as a sacrifice to the Porsche image so they could stay profitable. Or are you trying to claim otherwise? The simple fact that you own one PROVES that Porsche had the right idea when they thought that SUVs would be a profitable business model. You BOUGHT ONE genius.
Sitting in a classroom does not mean you comprehend what is going on, as in this case.

The E46 M3 CSL was not exported to the US, no kidding, already said that, and? No one is trying to prove how much money the CSL made. This is a niche enthusiast vehicle with a specific target and purpose, why is this tough to understand?

I have never discounted the Cayenne. For what, the third time, I am saying it makes a good business case. Maybe you should try reading what I wrote instead of day dreaming about Nobel laureates and attempting to justify yourself with your off topic tangents? Why is this all flying over your head?

Last edited by CURI0; 10-29-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Murtaza is infamous around these parts
I was really excited when I first read about the M5 CSL but now I have to agree with NewSong although to a different note.

It has 2 seats? That's bloody stupid, why didn't they make an M6 CSL??? The M6 is faster and lighter than the M5 in the first place, LOL? Seriously, who's idea was it to make a 4 door 2 seat M5 CSL over an M6 CSL, face palm. Idiots.

It seems every week the chance of my next ride being a bimmer goes down further and further. Meanwhile Porsche is on the cutting edge even with there monstrosity of a whale the Panamera which busted a 3.3 0-60 in C&D

With BMW I'm feeling like I'm on the team with a budget.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Murtaza
I was really excited when I first read about the M5 CSL but now I have to agree with NewSong although to a different note.

It has 2 seats? That's bloody stupid, why didn't they make an M6 CSL??? The M6 is faster and lighter than the M5 in the first place, LOL? Seriously, who's idea was it to make a 4 door 2 seat M5 CSL over an M6 CSL, face palm. Idiots.

It seems every week the chance of my next ride being a bimmer goes down further and further. Meanwhile Porsche is on the cutting edge even with there monstrosity of a whale the Panamera which busted a 3.3 0-60 in C&D

With BMW I'm feeling like I'm on the team with a budget.
It is not coming to market, they could stuff any of this in any chassis they want to. If BMW felt they wanted to test it on the E60 chassis, so what? The M6 and M5 share plenty as is, the drivetrain you are running was tested on the E60 you know.

The Panamera is brand new, the next M5 is coming. Are you really faulting BMW for not anticipating the Panamera and producing the E60 M5 to compete with it 5 years in advance?

Old 10-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Murtaza is infamous around these parts
It is not coming to market, they could stuff any of this in any chassis they want to. If BMW felt they wanted to test it on the E60 chassis, so what? The M6 and M5 share plenty as is, the drivetrain you are running was tested on the E60 you know.

The Panamera is brand new, the next M5 is coming. Are you really faulting BMW for not anticipating the Panamera and producing the E60 M5 to compete with it 5 years in advance?
CSL stands for Coupe Sport Light

That makes it stupid by default, no way around it. Nothing against the M5, it's just logic.

I am faulting BMW with focusing on the 5 series GT ugly POS, cancelling the CS, having no supercar and now compromising there future M models with forced induction for the benefit of improved efficiency which is a complete joke.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Murtaza
CSL stands for Coupe Sport Light

That makes it stupid by default, no way around it. Nothing against the M5, it's just logic.

I am faulting BMW with focusing on the 5 series GT ugly POS, cancelling the CS, having no supercar and now compromising there future M models with forced induction for the benefit of improved efficiency which is a complete joke.
Yes, thanks for reminding me of what I already had said.

It makes it stupid for BMW to be testing a powerplant and transmission they could stick in any body they want to? Huh?

I'm with you on them having no supercar and going back on their word regarding forced induction and M SUV's. However, I am not going to fault them for testing the waters and gauging the reaction of a more focused M model. Don't you understand the purpose of such an exercise?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: //m5 csl