BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

Question for the 335 experts...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Former Vendor
StuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to behold
Question for the 335 experts...

Hey guys,

I have buddy who is looking for a "piggy back" style chip for his 2007 335i coupe.

What do you guys suggest? He just needs a wake up chip no flashing...

Any suggestions?

What about this?

http://www.amazon.com/Turbo-Tuner-13...7912757&sr=8-1

Thanks

Old 11-10-2009, 09:53 PM
kailuaboy has a spectacular aura aboutkailuaboy has a spectacular aura about
I know there are some good options out there. if he would like to keep the warranty i would look at dinan. they are fairly expensive but if or when something breaks they will fix it. aside from that im not too sure whats out there. there are some pretty good bmw forums that might be of help.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:41 PM
aus
aus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by kailuaboy
I know there are some good options out there. if he would like to keep the warranty i would look at dinan. they are fairly expensive but if or when something breaks they will fix it. aside from that im not too sure whats out there. there are some pretty good bmw forums that might be of help.
That's a common misperception. What happens when turbo goes bad? BMW will blame Dinan and Dinan will blame BMW's faulty product. It's already happened to people.

For the OP, if you buddy just wants a little more power, the first thing is DON'T let the dealer do any reflash of the ECU since the newer versions introduced considerable lag. There's a "fix" out but many have said the fix doesn't last. They did this to try to extend the life of the waste gates which go bad ALL THE TIME.

For modest gains you can feel, just get a Turbo Timer used on E90post. They sell for as little as $120 to $150. It's not detectable and very safe. It's pretty easy to install once you know how to get to the TMAP sensor.

For more potential power, there's the JB+. It will allow more boost at the risk of setting off some alarms if his car has the newer software. You can adjust the amount of boost you want based of factors such as fuel octane. This unit also goes on the TMAP sensor.

For more power, there's the JB3, which is constantly being updated with new maps.

The major competitor would be the Vishnu unit, which is more sophisticated. Both require you to open the ECU, which isn't too hard, but is more work. You just plug these units in the ECU connectors and place the box in the ECU enclosure.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:37 AM
1sleeper is infamous around these parts1sleeper is infamous around these parts
^^^ All good info. The JB+ actually offers a reasonable bump in HP with very little fuss. Either of the piggyback options are fine as well. JB3 and PROcede (Vishnu) really change the car but do require a little more work (really nothing much, 30min- 1 hour MAX).

Old 11-11-2009, 04:16 AM
kailuaboy has a spectacular aura aboutkailuaboy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by aus
That's a common misperception. What happens when turbo goes bad? BMW will blame Dinan and Dinan will blame BMW's faulty product. It's already happened to people.
a good friend of mine lost an engine on his 335 with a dinan reflash and within 2days they had it worked out and a new enigine on the way....mind you the car was not back for 3 weeks but it was less than 2 days for the two to figure their sh*t out. im sure there are other case that involve supporting mods and so on and i know bmw can be hard to deal with in such cases but from what ive seen dinan isnt nearly the issue that any other tuner could be.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:36 AM
NewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to all
Exclamation

I'd be more worried about the HPFP issues. A lot of Bimmer fanboys tend to skip over this fact that some people have been left in the middle of traffic with very little power available to them at the wheels.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by NewSong
I'd be more worried about the HPFP issues. A lot of Bimmer fanboys tend to skip over this fact that some people have been left in the middle of traffic with very little power available to them at the wheels.
Having two cars with this motor I guess I would qualify as a "fanboy", but not a day goes by I start one of those cars and hope I dont get the "long crank". Really is a dopey problem that this far into the model cycle, they dont have it fixed. Great motor outside of that. Seems there are a few solutions coming from the aftermarket but still.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:25 PM
NewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to all
Cool

Originally Posted by 1sleeper
Having two cars with this motor I guess I would qualify as a "fanboy", but not a day goes by I start one of those cars and hope I dont get the "long crank". Really is a dopey problem that this far into the model cycle, they dont have it fixed. Great motor outside of that. Seems there are a few solutions coming from the aftermarket but still.
It's kind of sad BMW hasn't been able to (or is unwilling) to fix this problem with a more long term solution than "We'll replace it."

Audi admittedly has their own problems with their direct injection system (carbon build up), but at least it won't leave you stranded.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:37 PM
It's kind of sad BMW hasn't been able to (or is unwilling) to fix this problem with a more long term solution than "We'll replace it."

Audi admittedly has their own problems with their direct injection system (carbon build up), but at least it won't leave you stranded.
Hey, the bright side is, assuming your fuel pump works that 6 with the 2 little turbos can do things like this.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y0KxOkJcjs

Old 11-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Cool

Yeah but any built car is going to be pretty super. How much does an ASR built 135i cost?

Old 11-12-2009, 03:25 AM
The ASR upgrade isnt quite out yet, but I am hearing its 2500-3k. Supposed to be a bolt-on upgrade. I would guess with upgraded IC, DP, exhaust, and a few other supporting mods, you are probably looking at 7k or so.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:28 PM
aus
aus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud of

Agreed.

And the carbon build up is on the N54 too.