BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

F10 M5 engine revealed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Surfer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by germeezy1
As bad as the SMG 7 speed is compared to the latest double clutch gearboxes its still ....way.....way better than the ill matched 6 speed they put in the M5. Again why would you want a car that is noticeably and numerically slower in every performance measure just to say you shift it yourself?
It's borring, that's just me, I want to control the car not flap a paddle or flick a shifter like pdk. I'm not saying their bad, just not for me. Like I said the manual trans in the e60 was just not a good combo with the V10, gearing wasn't matched well. The 6 speed in the e39 M5 was matched well to the V8 and felt better in feel, even though I thought the e60 version was similar? I think your misunderstanding what I was saying, not to just swap in the e60 trans, but just having an manual trans option period (and hopefully a new or updated one adapted to the turbo V8)

Old 01-13-2010, 01:17 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
I think with the increased flexibility and torque of the new TT V8, than having 7 close gear ratios may not be as neccesary as it was with the peaky S85.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:46 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
I cant wait to go to training and drive this thing on the track and the road. Bringing a true manual as well will get a BIG thumbs up from me. I have a few clients waiting to order one of these MONSTERS.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:42 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
i believe the 6spd in the e39 & e60 are very similar, tho they feel different.
The main reason why i didnt "upgrade" to the e60 was that I didnt like either trannys.
I wonder what the new M5 will weigh?
on a side note, isnt it interesting that BMW is going to forced induction while MB is moving back to normally aspriated?

Last edited by kosmo69; 01-16-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:52 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Actually not the The case.. The all Motor platform made peak power at Redline.. While the new M5 will have more power the powerband will not remain the same.. The 10 throttle body setup will not exist either ill bet... Plenty of cars make more Peak HP than an M5 and will not touch 200mph.. The E60 M5 is still my favorite.. the last of the High Revving V10 NA..

Mike
Umm yeah.. there wont be 10 throttle bodies.. its a v8.. Youll be singing a way different tune when this car comes out. It will make a lot more power with much more tuning potential while getting better gas mileage and being cheaper to service.

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
I wouldnt own an M car with a 6 speed manual if there was a 20% discount.. The 6spd drives like a POS..

MIke
LoL>.. who is this guy?... SMG has always been a **** transmission since its birth back on the e36. The e60 m5 was the first version that was considered to be decent on a BMW. 6sp manual beats any version of SMG. DCT and the new tranny on the m5 might be a different story.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ExclusiveTT
Umm yeah.. there wont be 10 throttle bodies.. its a v8.. Youll be singing a way different tune when this car comes out. It will make a lot more power with much more tuning potential while getting better gas mileage and being cheaper to service.

LoL>.. who is this guy?... SMG has always been a **** transmission since its birth back on the e36. The e60 m5 was the first version that was considered to be decent on a BMW. 6sp manual beats any version of SMG. DCT and the new tranny on the m5 might be a different story.

My point was it wont have ITB's.. The SMG trans on the E60 was 10x better than the previous versions.. Anyone to ever drive my M5 in SMG said they would NEVER own it in 6spd.. Not to mention the 6spd would NEVER EVER keep up on the highway when i ran one.. They would get KILLED.. the gearing on the 6spd was junk.. Your opinion is FEW AND FAR BETWEEN on the 6spd..

As far as who this guy is?? Im the guy that built the worlds quickest E60 in 2 weeks.. Still nobody can touch my times.. Not even within 1 second.. I might have a clue just how good the SMG trans is..

Will i sing a new tune when the F10 is released?? Sure i will.. Itll be a great car with more Hp than any other previous BMW ever.. Still it will not have the same feel as an all motor high revving V10.. A large majority of the members on M5board agree.. That motor was something special.. No other Sedan to date still can reach 200mph BONE STOCK.. Nor will the F10..

Mike

Last edited by AWD Motorsports; 01-17-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:05 AM
jjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ExclusiveTT

that guy has built more fast cars in the last month that you will in your lifetime.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:09 AM
INFINITE is just really niceINFINITE is just really niceINFINITE is just really niceINFINITE is just really nice
sounds like im trading in my m5 soon...

Old 02-07-2010, 03:15 AM
Roland H. has a spectacular aura aboutRoland H. has a spectacular aura about
Such a shame to see the M division transfer over to FI platforms, but I guess that it's got to happen to see them make money in the long run.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:08 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Surfer
If they keep 6 speed manual that will be awesome, flappy paddles and dct type transmissions are not for me, I want to row gears.
We have a winner for post of the Month. DING DING DING DING

Old 02-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
Mike, I think there is still a chance that the new ///M V8 TT could still have ITB. But that doesnt seem to be the case on the X5/6M

but i still find it funny that I remember I got flamed on the M5 board before saying that 7spd is faster then 6 spd and they are saying how gear ratio does not affect acceleration

Old 02-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by germeezy1
As bad as the SMG 7 speed is compared to the latest double clutch gearboxes its still ....way.....way better than the ill matched 6 speed they put in the M5. Again why would you want a car that is noticeably and numerically slower in every performance measure just to say you shift it yourself?
Some people like rowing their own gears...

We have the option, let's make sure it stays that way.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Crea
Mike, I think there is still a chance that the new ///M V8 TT could still have ITB. But that doesnt seem to be the case on the X5/6M

but i still find it funny that I remember I got flamed on the M5 board before saying that 7spd is faster then 6 spd and they are saying how gear ratio does not affect acceleration
I thinks its an unlikely setup on an FI motor but could be..

As far as the 7spd not affecting acceleration is a joke.. The car is all gearing.. You will NEVER get to 200mph in 6 speed and if you do itll take 2 miles more than an SMG.. The amount of performance loss in 6speed is not worth enjoyment of rowing my own gears IMO.. mind you in Europe it doesnt even come 6speed.. They know better..

Thanks god i own some other cars i can row gears in because i would NEVER own an M5 in anything other SMG or DCT..

Old 02-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
I've heard the new TT V8 will be running high boost (> 20 psi) stock.
Does anyone know the true specs?

Ranger

Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by GT3Ranger
I've heard the new TT V8 will be running high boost (> 20 psi) stock.
Does anyone know the true specs?

Ranger

Hmm.. I think right now its a rumor.. I dont forsee that motor running 20psi to make 585 crank.. The 335i runs around 8.5psi to make 300 crank on those 2 baby turbos with a 3.0 I-6.. I would hope they put more engineering into the F10 M5 Engine as not to have to run those kind of boost pressure to make 585 crank.. I guess well find out shortly..

Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: F10 M5 engine revealed