BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

BMW 535 Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 06:11 PM
tsmithmdtx is infamous around these parts
I am sorry to hear about your problems. Sound similar to the ones that I had.
Have they replaced your high pressure fuel pump?

What worked best for me was going directly to BMW North America. I called them and explained my issue. I got a very nice representative who took all my information. They then contacted the territory rep for my area and my dealer. All together it was a very painless process. Originally they offered me a "good deal" if I bought another BMW. I held out and they bought the car back.

Sounds like you have as good a case as I did if not better. Don't let the dealer just blow you off.

Keep us updated on your progress and let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:26 PM
NewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to all
Well known problem. One of the reasons I skipped on a 335i and just went for an M3.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:51 AM
aus
aus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud of
They're not going to buy back a 2008 car.
There's a new fuel pump now that's suppose to fix the problem... We'll see, but at least it's a new part number. And there is a 120,000 mile warranty on the fuel pump for the 2006-2009 cars. I don't know about the 2010 cars It was pretty common to have a fuel pump go bad right after getting it changed out.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Cscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by aus
It was pretty common to have a fuel pump go bad right after getting it changed out.
Hi everybody, I searched for this issue on here and read this thread along with many others. It wasn't until I read the above post and the sentence that I quoted which is turning some wheels in my head.

We have a 2007 335i coupe 6-speed, no sport package, that we purchased new. Only modifications are dealer installed Dinan performance engine software and high capacity oil cooler. It was not having any problems at all, but the dealer contacted us to have the fuel pump replaced a few months ago due to a recall. Up to this point the car was not having any issues, but I suppose they just changed out everybody's pump regardless since they were all recalled. Well it started immediately (literally maybe a day after getting the car back), where it would take a few seconds of cranking to start. The car drives fine though, and always starts. I watched some videos on Youtube of these cars starting up that have fuel pump problems, and it sounds exactly the same. The only thing is, that this only started happening AFTER it was replaced. We contacted the dealer shortly after getting the car back (months ago) and the service manager said that it is normal and we shouldn't worry about it. Since then, the car hasn't gotten any worse, but hasn't gotten any better. It still drives fine and everything, so the issue isn't alarming; but the sentence that I quoted above got me thinking that we maybe have a potential problem on our hands. Should be push to get the pump changed again, or just keep driving the car and see if the problem gets any worse? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:59 PM
aus
aus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud of
I haven't heard of anyone being called to change out the pump when it wasn't broken. Our's has been fine for 35k miles. It's good to know you have a 120,000 mile warranty on the pump.
Hopefully the new pump with a new part number will be better.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:42 PM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by aus
I haven't heard of anyone being called to change out the pump when it wasn't broken. Our's has been fine for 35k miles. It's good to know you have a 120,000 mile warranty on the pump.
Hopefully the new pump with a new part number will be better.
So is this 120K warranty still applicable after the initial 4 years is over. Is this mentioned somehwere specifically?

Old 07-23-2010, 04:24 PM
NickyBlack has a spectacular aura aboutNickyBlack has a spectacular aura aboutNickyBlack has a spectacular aura about
I would have got into another bmw... but even from your experience it's evident that bmw stands behind their products good and bad. I had a 745 replaced free of charge after 14 months of ownership. super easy process too compared to some other brands. GL

Old 07-23-2010, 09:52 PM
aus
Originally Posted by keeperofbeasts
So is this 120K warranty still applicable after the initial 4 years is over. Is this mentioned somehwere specifically?

I got the notice in the mail from BMWNA. It may depend on the model year, but they didn't get the new part number for the fuel pump until last last year or early this year.