BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

New M1 details released!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 08:06 PM
MCJ
MCJ is infamous around these partsMCJ is infamous around these parts
Exclamation Official 1 series M Coupe thread.

4/20/10 Updates:

Test mule vid from the Ring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmVHU...layer_embedded

Latest rendering which an insider at BMW says is the best rendering to date.

This has me stoked! Scott (a BMW insider) posted this on 1addicts:

More Details on BMW M1 Design (including wheel teaser picture)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The M1 will differ from the standard 1er with a more muscular appearance especially at the front which receives a trapezoid grille flanked by two intakes to allow air to cool the six piston brakes. The larger grille at the front of the car also allows air into the High Performance Intercooler. underneath the headlights the M1 follows the typical M look by having enclosed headlights or "eyebags" this helps pronounce the front of the car and providing a more sporting look than the conventional 1er Coupe.

Above the brake ducts are tiny lip spoilers that help with airflow these help with additional "Active aerodynamics" to provide downforce. The aluminium bonnet incorporates a subtle hood bulge again to hint at the power underneath flanked by two airducts at each side with one for design symmetery. The front wings of the car are massaged slightly to accomodate the wider track and to neatly fill the arches with standard 18" 5 spoke wheels with optional 18" Competition wheels. 18" will be the optimium wheel size for the M1.

The front wings incorporate the typical M characteristic of a side vent , again the M1 is no different with a slightly shorter vent due to the proportion of front door - wing- arch accomodating the turn signal and insignia. The side sills accomodate a more sculpted appearance again indentifying the car from the standard 135i or BMW performance packet.

Like the front end of the car the rear end is wider with a look that is almost similar to the transition between the previous E46 Coupe and the E46 M3 , broader wheel arches accomodate the larger track , The classic "Ducktail" appearence makes a welcome return with the spoiler now integrated as part of the bootlid for a more cohesive look and additional aid for aerodynamics.

The rear valance/diffuser area takes it's direction from the standard 135i but with open ducts for aerodynamic purpose , the duct is seperated by typical M quad exhaust pipes.
The roof of the car receives the typical BMW M Coupe addition of a reinforced Carbon Fibre Roof to help maintain the lightweight concept.

Summary:

More muscular appearance than standard 1-series
Trapezoid grille flanked by two intakes to allow extra brake cooling
Six piston brakes
High performance intercooler
Sportier looking headlights than standard 1-series
Small lip spoilers above brake duct inlets to provide extra air flow and downforce
The front wings of the car are massaged slightly to accomodate the wider track. Rear end is also wider.
Standard 18" 5-spoke wheels with optional 18" Competition wheels (18" will be the optimium wheel size for the M1)
Signature M side vent
Broader wheel arches to accomodate larger track
"Ducktail" CSL style rear trunk (integrated spoiler)
Rear valance/diffuser area takes its direction from the standard 135i but with open ducts for aerodynamic purpose
Signature M quad exhaust pipes
Reinforced carbon fiber roof

Last edited by MCJ; 10-15-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
i hope its priced right....
then maybe I can finally get rid of my E46

Old 02-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Banned
stacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to behold
Pics?

Old 02-04-2010, 08:34 PM
MCJ
Not yet. It's supposed to debut @ Geneva in the same chrome shadow paint as previous M models.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Murtaza is infamous around these parts
Way to ruin the M1's name. Eeesh, I am really starting to hate this company...

Old 02-06-2010, 12:38 AM
aus
aus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud of
I don't know how they're going to make a quad exhaust back there unless they take away the deep cubby in the trunk. There's almost no room under the trunk for a big can.

And what's the power output going to be? There's already a 335iS, while the M3 stays at 414HP.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:31 AM
mcr_driver is just really nicemcr_driver is just really nicemcr_driver is just really nicemcr_driver is just really nice
Originally Posted by Murtaza
exactly what i was thinking...why couldn't they have resurrected the tii name or the turbo name? seeing as how the 1 series is the supposed modern interpretation of the 2002.

it's really a shame bmw has gone the way of AMG with the M division for profit :/

power is probably gonna be around 350-370 to make it more unique then a 335is but not as special as a M3 price point will probably reflect that as well, more then a 335is less then a m3

Old 02-07-2010, 03:06 AM
Roland H. has a spectacular aura aboutRoland H. has a spectacular aura about
This *could* save the company. I'd like to see how it comes out first though.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:05 AM
MCJ
Here's the latest rendering. Apparently the headlights get a slight revision which isn't shown in the rendition.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Roland H. has a spectacular aura aboutRoland H. has a spectacular aura about
Hmmm, still not a fan of the mirrors. They don't look good on the E90/E92, and the same goes for this car. The E92 looks awesome with the CF E36 mirrors though.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:04 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Murtaza
If you hate a company because of how they name their cars then you never really liked them in the first place. I dont agrre with calling it an M1 but it wont make the car or the company any different. There also has not been a final work that the car is going to even be called M1. It could be called 1 series M or 1M.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Murtaza is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD
If you hate a company because of how they name their cars then you never really liked them in the first place. I dont agrre with calling it an M1 but it wont make the car or the company any different. There also has not been a final work that the car is going to even be called M1. It could be called 1 series M or 1M.
Well you wrongly assumed that was my only problem with BMW.

- Going FI
- No Super Car
- Cancelled the CS and gave us the 5 Series GT POS TURD
- No new Z4M

How's that?

Old 02-12-2010, 08:28 PM
MCJ
Some recent test mule shots...

Old 02-13-2010, 08:54 AM
MCJ
The sketch shown here hints of the final product.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Ken21 is infamous around these parts
The hood looks abit off on the 1series body...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New M1 details released!