BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

E46 M3 AA Supercharged vs E60 M5 at age 30

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Enigma M3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by aroonkl
Enigma,
It is your Candy Color. If it was gray, black or etc., it's good to go until you are 50.

I agree with you but i believe i would feel the same about the car. Yes the color is bit eccentric (I spell that right,?)

Old 03-11-2010, 09:28 PM
H Bomb is a glorious beacon of lightH Bomb is a glorious beacon of lightH Bomb is a glorious beacon of lightH Bomb is a glorious beacon of lightH Bomb is a glorious beacon of lightH Bomb is a glorious beacon of light
i believe the SC are going for 10k and up depending on what stage you get. me personally i love the NA engine so if i did anything it would be the stroker but that is alot of money

if you can try to test drive them back to back or close together in days. you will see how much bigger and heavy the M5 is over the E9X which isn't light itself

Originally Posted by Enigma M3
Thanks you for detailed analysis. I really appreciate it!!! iIm going to test drive an E60 m5 tomorrow, see what happens then the E9x m3 is next. I like the coupe "hooked" up but otherwsie needs mods to be pretty

Nice PICS. Good taste!

Ill tell you one thing though im sticking BMW for a while all the thrills a nd you can daily drive it more than any other premium car out there!!!!

Test driving an E60 m5 tomorrow then ill see if i can find E9x m3 to test. BTW how much are sc going for on E90 m3's?

Old 06-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Still Looking for input...

I still am debating and came up with a new scenario which i posted on e46 fanatics....

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=771194

Should i upgrade my AA SC kit stage 1 to 2 gen 2 71 trim which basically means 5.5 psi to almost 9psi with pulley, tune/alpha n and bigger flowing injectors to satisfy my need to to do something for about 2k or save my money and eventually purchase M5 or even m6??

Old 06-19-2010, 10:54 PM
MMOTION is infamous around these parts
Did u test drive the M5? I've driven alot of bimmers as i'm a big bimmer fan myself and i felt the M5 to be a big car. Its amazingly fast, drives and handles great, but its still a big car. Consider the E90/92 M3 if you're looking to upgrade, they're better on gas (if thats even an issue) and if the 414hp isn't enough you can always drop in a S/C. =)

Old 06-22-2010, 06:00 PM
TYE
TYE is infamous around these parts
The nice thing about the m5 is you see far less of them out there compared to m3s. It is a more mature, grown up car. Obviously the driving characteristics between the 2 are going to differ. One of the things that has put a sour taste in my mouth about the m3s is the fact they are every where, and there are a majority of bad examples out there untastefully modded and a lot of kids who drive them that just dont have a clue about modding with a plan and selecting pieces as a harmonious system, rather then just buying everything out there and throwing it on the car. I have been in the scene since 1997 and as much as i used to love bmws, i also have felt it is not what it used to be and bmw owners have got a bad wrap due to immaturity levels of their owners (not only on the road, but even fights at events over internet bs). Yes every car group has this, but its become increasing prevalent in the bmw world. Im 31, and was seriously considering m5s, as well as the e90 m3, but came to the conclusion that Im going to continue to save and step up to the next level. Having spent a ton on my e36 since 97 to make it what I want it to be (which was a fun process and hobby), or comparable to this and that, nowadays I look at it as if i need to buy a car and spend a ton to make it what i want it to be, id much rather save for a better car altogether. So if you arent sure about your e46 anymore, and the m5 doesnt excite you when you drive it, maybe reconsider your options and keep your car a bit longer while you test drive another marque. For me, the next logical step is a gt3, after driving one, its a much better experience then an m3, and definitely a more mature car.

Last edited by TYE; 06-22-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by TYE
The nice thing about the m5 is you see far less of them out there compared to m3s. It is a more mature, grown up car. Obviously the driving characteristics between the 2 are going to differ. One of the things that has put a sour taste in my mouth about the m3s is the fact they are every where, and there are a majority of bad examples out there untastefully modded and a lot of kids who drive them that just dont have a clue about modding with a plan and selecting pieces as a harmonious system, rather then just buying everything out there and throwing it on the car. I have been in the scene since 1997 and as much as i used to love bmws, i also have felt it is not what it used to be and bmw owners have got a bad wrap due to immaturity levels of their owners (not only on the road, but even fights at events over internet bs). Yes every car group has this, but its become increasing prevalent in the bmw world. Im 31, and was seriously considering m5s, as well as the e90 m3, but came to the conclusion that Im going to continue to save and step up to the next level. Having spent a ton on my e36 since 97 to make it what I want it to be (which was a fun process and hobby), or comparable to this and that, nowadays I look at it as if i need to buy a car and spend a ton to make it what i want it to be, id much rather save for a better car altogether. So if you arent sure about your e46 anymore, and the m5 doesnt excite you when you drive it, maybe reconsider your options and keep your car a bit longer while you test drive another marque. For me, the next logical step is a gt3, after driving one, its a much better experience then an m3, and definitely a more mature car.

holy cow this is poetry

working on deal for gray 2006 m5 for trade plus cash but reluctant still considering options.

Thanks for the input appreciate it!!! 997 Gt3 out of my range but all best when you get it.

Yes everything you said and bad taste in modding could not be more true. what happened to clean yet aggressive lnces with nice looking rims its not that hard...

Old 06-25-2010, 08:38 PM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
I'm in Naperville if you want go for a ride. If you plan on or are tracking keep the m3. For the street the m5 is really hard to beat. It's so damn fast and shifting at 8000 rpm is otherworldly. My 911 was hooked up and i don't miss it.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:39 PM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
The guys at Chicago motor cars always have a good selection of m5's

Old 06-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by c2mojo
I'm in Naperville if you want go for a ride. If you plan on or are tracking keep the m3. For the street the m5 is really hard to beat. It's so damn fast and shifting at 8000 rpm is otherworldly. My 911 was hooked up and i don't miss it.
Thanks for the offer, i might take up on it someday if im heading to the outlet malls in aurora since your in Naperville.

All the best!

Old 06-28-2010, 05:14 PM
gnx7 has a spectacular aura aboutgnx7 has a spectacular aura aboutgnx7 has a spectacular aura about
M3 is a car that handles and is a true sports car. M5 is a sports sedan that is portly and more for touring. 2 very different cars.

Sell your supercharger setup and go with a turbo kit to feel some real power..... There are some insane power levels one can reach with a built motor M3 and a turbo kit.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by gnx7
M3 is a car that handles and is a true sports car. M5 is a sports sedan that is portly and more for touring. 2 very different cars.

Sell your supercharger setup and go with a turbo kit to feel some real power..... There are some insane power levels one can reach with a built motor M3 and a turbo kit.
Thanks for the input you bring up a good point.

If i were to go turbo route i might as well get evo spend 1ok putting down 6000whp on e85 if the HPF were around 12k I would consider it.

Yes i know that my SC was not that cheap either but was going for the m3 feel not that supra feel that a turbo turns the m3 into...

any used HPF turbo kits out there....

BTW almost pulled the trigger on a e60 m5 grey for my car and about 7-10k worth of cash value....

Old 07-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Bringing the thread back to life, have put my car up for sale locally but not really determined to sell. So if a great deal comes along Ill take it as of now local craigslist add with limited interest although quite a few offers to buy supercharger separately.

Cheers

Old 07-15-2010, 01:58 AM
GoingGreen is infamous around these parts
Here my 12:17am imput. My input is it is all your bag. A couple of people said that, so remember. I get it for my car all the time. ALL THE TIME. I dont give a fCK. You shouldnt either. In my opinion having a $hit load of power is overrated. Im in the supra community and every dude with one thinks they're the $hit. and on the freeway they kinda are. If you are in so cal which I kind get the feeling you might me. Going turbo spending that kinda cash to get 600hp is dumb. It wont be long before you get smoked. Go really big or dont go at all. Plus BMW is a handling car and if you ever track it you will learn that having $hit loads of power is not the way to win or even get quick lap times.

I really tried to understand what you are looking for. Your M3 is going to be night and day to an E60 M5 so you should put a lot of thought into it. I am a track road race kind guy and like stuff thats low and has roll cages and is really loud. If you like the feeling of that stuff, then by all means dont get an M5. Plus they do make GT3's in a 996. Which is still a very bad a$$ car. Listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBgeqoq6XmY E46's are cool but I would rather listen to that 24 hours a day over an E46. But thats me. I guess my ears are tuned to that more race pedigree but I thought i'd run it by you just in case you felt it too. Also you will definitely get that race feeling out of this car. Kinda cant get much closer.

Also one last thing some one said the scene is immature because younger guys don't mod there cars right, woow dude slow the FCK down a second. Im young and so are a large portion of the people on here. If you think a car should be modded to a certain standard thats way judgmental and just ignorant. Thats like someone telling me tribal tattoos are gay.. Ya so what maybe they are but that person likes them. An the thing about the fights over internet. Ya thats dumb but times have changed. Its not 97 any more as much as I wish it was too. Social networks obviously have become a part of life to a lot of people. Obviously young. Computers or not people will find reasons to fight. They did fight in the 60's too before computers... 8) Hot Rod'ers had a rep for starting $hit everywhere. Now Im not trying to fight you man or make any enemies on here and a lot of what you said is very true. I just would like to see people not put cars into a category of how they should be done. People mod Bentleys and thats not really a performance car, but its their way to personalize. Im sure that makes the people at the country club cringe. Its unavoidable but its just not right. Look at the UK BMW scene. I think the style there is weird(lambo doors, bassboat paint jobs, bondo bondo bondo everything) but they dig it, maybe I would to if I was brought up there, but I don't knock them cause there doing it wrong or are too young. Sorry if thats harsh. Just my opinion right or wrong. Good luck to the OP. All are great cars worth owning. BTW LSB is pure love. I would have trouble letting that one go. Your car is sick and very rare. Maybe save it and try going for an E39 M5...

Last edited by GoingGreen; 07-15-2010 at 02:07 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:15 AM
Sacha is infamous around these parts
Step up to 2007+ 6spd M6. I am also in my early 30s and was looking for a more serious sporty daily driver (not a fan of 911 body style).
I didn't see anything on the market for the price and performance to compare the M6 with.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:24 AM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
I owned a E46 M3 vert and I will always miss that car. However I do not regret letting it go and experiencing new vehicles. It sounds like its been a amazing vehicle for you but time to give something new a try.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E46 M3 AA Supercharged vs E60 M5 at age 30