BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

ESS Supercharged E90 M3 Vs. GT500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by C4TT
Too funny! I had an 06 Z06! I ran the white car above when it had just pulley, intake exhaust tune and 3:73s, and we were even to about 130mph!
I was shocked! Because of the extra weight the GT500 needs more hp.
But, with smart tuning, weight reduction and good driving you can make them insane.
Well, my Z06 was making 700+ rwhp when we raced. I mistakenly left that part out.

I'm off to bed. Thank you very much for the information, and great runs!

Old 08-03-2010, 01:45 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
GR40 suspension is the missing piece to the puzzle on stock suspension it would be slower than stock! And yes for some reason the C6 Z06 is like a unicorn it pulls incredibly strong even stock for its power level from a roll. A GT500 would need the thick part of 900 rwhp to beat a 700 rwhp C6 Z06.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:08 AM
C4TT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Well, my Z06 was making 700+ rwhp when we raced. I mistakenly left that part out.

I'm off to bed. Thank you very much for the information, and great runs!
You're welcome. Wow 720whp Z06 must have been maniacal! I'm sure the output shafts were the first to go!

As Germeezy1 stated the car is a unicorn bone stock! It shocked me every time! I'd have both if I could manage it, but I was getting married and I became sensible-ish...

Old 08-03-2010, 08:56 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
What does it cost to build out a GT500?

Old 08-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by deckman
What does it cost to build out a GT500?
Depends on what you do, and how much you want.

If you want your car to handle, then you need to address the suspension, tires and brakes.

If you want just power, you will still need some suspension mods to put the power down and to feel safe at speed. Stock tires are pretty crappy.

I'd say if you spend $15K in parts, you can have a very serious GT500 that will make 700+wheel that will corner and stop well.

Naturally you can do this stuff in stages. Some guys are happy with $2K in parts which still yields a 600 crank HP!

I rad a 12.1 at 118 with about 2k in parts and that was nursing 1st gear and a crappy 2.2 60'. With a tire and some rpm, the car was easily a deep 11 second car with only a pulley intake exhaust and tune.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
You're welcome. Wow 720whp Z06 must have been maniacal! I'm sure the output shafts were the first to go!
I had a RPM built diff (with 300M shafts) and also a RPM built T-56 with revised 5th and 6th gears. It was a beast and I never lost a race in her, but believe it or not my GT2 was faster at only 700rwhp.

Also had forged pistons and was running a TVS blower. She made 660 rwtq at only 2800 rpm.

As Germeezy1 stated the car is a unicorn bone stock! It shocked me every time! I'd have both if I could manage it, but I was getting married and I became sensible-ish...
Yep, it's an amazing car. I've thought many times about getting another one in addition to my P-car. Still may one day, you never know.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:09 AM
, but believe it or not my GT2 was faster at only 700rwhp.
REALLY??? Faster in what way? Strip? Or on a roll. I would imagine the Z06 would be instant power and would have the advantage!
I suppose there really is no substitute!
I am a Porsche lover and will have another one at some point.. But my focus is on business dev, so the Shelby suits my budgetary needs for now

Old 08-03-2010, 10:19 AM
REALLY??? Faster in what way? Strip? Or on a roll. I would imagine the Z06 would be instant power and would have the advantage!
Anywhere other than a dig. From a dig on the 345 MT's, the Z06 had a phenomenal balance of hook and wheelspin on the street. At the strip, the Z06 would have gotten the better E.T., while the Porsche would have trapped higher.

I am a Porsche lover and will have another one at some point.. But my focus is on business dev, so the Shelby suits my budgetary needs for now
The Shelby is a GREAT car. It would suit me just fine as well in the same situation.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Anywhere other than a dig. From a dig on the 345 MT's, the Z06 had a phenomenal balance of hook and wheelspin on the street. At the strip, the Z06 would have gotten the better E.T., while the Porsche would have trapped higher.

The Shelby is a GREAT car. It would suit me just fine as well in the same situation.
Interesting... Any videos of either car?. Would love to see that!

Take a peek at the 2011 Shelbys. They have the aluminum block which removes 100lbs off the front end.

If you are budget minded, there are plenty of 07s to 09s running around, and the 2010s took a fall when the 11 came out with the lightweight features.

Keep in mind this is a muscle car, and will never be a Z06 or GT2. BUT, you'll be a hero driving it around. I get more love and attention with the Shelby than any other car. It's ! I've had cops follow me to take photos!

Old 08-03-2010, 12:21 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Luckily for me I live in the area of slow cars, 550-600 rwhp around here is plenty and I have * knock on wood * never lost a race. If I lived in Florida or Texas I would have been drove my car into a brick wall!

Porsche 911 GT2's are unicorns as well, they same to trap exorbitantly high and be just nasty from a roll on vs other more power roll on beasts like the Supras. But I think a TT Z06 with the same power would have gave it a run for the money due to the top end pull. Porsche's also have much better gearing for the big speeds as well.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:24 PM
If you do an early GT500 with a Whipple S/C or twin turbos and Griggs GR40 suspension....especially running forged wheels and a 305 width road race tire all the way around...you can make a GT500 a formidable track weapon and street beast.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by germeezy1
If you do an early GT500 with a Whipple S/C or twin turbos and Griggs GR40 suspension....especially running forged wheels and a 305 width road race tire all the way around...you can make a GT500 a formidable track weapon and street beast.
That's what I sought out to build pretty much. Brakes and seats are the last order of business.

I wanted a 10second muscle car that could still hang with Vettes and Porsches on the road course.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:20 PM
2bscrewed is infamous around these parts
The HP Solutions Shelby you raced Scott has made 830 RWP revving to 6500RPM ( which is a no no on stock internals) with full bolt ons, cams, and the KB Mammoth maxxed out. Shelbys make great power, but def. have to overcome their weight. The Hellion compound boost car in FL had to make about 1200 hp to trap 151. We also have another local 2.9 Whipple car making over 700 RWHP and when he went to the track with us, he was only trapping low 130's. The Lethal performance 2010 with a fully built motor and 22#'s of 4.0L Whipple boost, and a very track oriented suspension ran mid 9's at 147, and I think it's lightened up a decent amount also.
So those high traps take a little more than just a blower swap and tune.

As for the Dyno Dynamics dynos, they are known to be easily manipulated to show whatever numbers you want. I'm not saying the numbers in the video posted here were wrong, but they def. aren't known for reading low.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by 2bscrewed

As for the Dyno Dynamics dynos, they are known to be easily manipulated to show whatever numbers you want. I'm not saying the numbers in the video posted here were wrong, but they def. aren't known for reading low.
I hear ya, and I would call BS too till I watched the car trap at 146.7mph at Atco last year. We have a time slip to boot which I believe is on the SVTPerformance forum. Funny thing is the guys on that forum were all bent out of shape about that trap speed, so we're used to hearing BS!

And to be honest, the launch was totally bogged and with light and easy shifting!!!
Here's a clip from my iphone which is worthless, but tells me that with a solid launch it could have trapped very close to 150 or perhaps beyond!!! And all on stock motor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TvQ2AR91Fw

Old 08-03-2010, 04:03 PM
2bscrewed is infamous around these parts
I hear ya, and I would call BS too till I watched the car trap at 146.7mph at Atco last year. We have a time slip to boot which I believe is on the SVTPerformance forum. Funny thing is the guys on that forum were all bent out of shape about that trap speed, so we're used to hearing BS!

And to be honest, the launch was totally bogged and with light and easy shifting!!!
Here's a clip from my iphone which is worthless, but tells me that with a solid launch it could have trapped very close to 150 or perhaps beyond!!! And all on stock motor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TvQ2AR91Fw
I don't doubt that the car ran that, I just know it is not a simple blower swap car.

What changed from the video you showed where it trapped 139-141, to it trapping 147? How many times did it trap that high? If it was a one time thing, then it was probably a timing error at the track. That is why you have to run within a .1 of any record breaking pass to back it up before it goes in the record books.

Last edited by 2bscrewed; 08-03-2010 at 04:13 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ESS Supercharged E90 M3 Vs. GT500