BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

Going from 911 S to '11 M3 6sp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 05:26 PM
slicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by crackberry005
i sent you a pm slicer.

if anyone else is interested, pm me and ill shot you the links. just trying to be helpful and expedite your research/collecting data process. dont shot the messanger.
Thanks.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:53 PM
crackberry005 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci
for someone who has spent "a LOT of time researching" you don't know very much at all. and you're making pretty bold claims for someone who hasn't driven them. as someone who has driven both countless times, and owned very similar models, the rattles are exactly the same on both cars. they come and go and they are few and far between. most rattles on these cars are a result of frameless windows. also, the M3 leather used is called "Novillo Leather", not Novio leather. and Novillo isn't any type of leather, it's just what BMW calls it. it's actually Nappa Leather which is quite high quality for automotive leather.

the M3 will likely fit your bill. straight line performance won't be noticeably slower, and day to day the handling will be comparable.... it will feel softer though, and will be slower around a track.
not great at spelling over here. it is admittedly one of my gaps in knowledge. but you still get what im trying to say.

look, bottom line is that there are a good grip of people who say that they have rattles. there are also a good grip of people who say they dont have rattles. they are not mutually exclusive. just because your m car doesnt have rattles does not mean that others dont have rattles. this has been well discussed many times. all these people are saying that they are seasoned m drivers and have owned many seem to refuse to accept that there are mcars out there with major rattles. just do a simple search. the info is there; you are just not looking hard enough. or you can just pretend that your car is perfect. whatever makes you happy. but again, rattles have been a problem that many have been complaining about. its up to you if you wanna believe or not.

im tired of this. im saying the same thing over and over again. just trying to help and pass info, but people just dont want to listen. cant help people who dont want to be helped. im out.

Last edited by crackberry005; 04-16-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by slicer
Thanks.
and your welcome. i hope the info helps. i really like the poll. clearly displays peoples opinions.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:27 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 07speed
Well fellas' thinking of going in an all new direction. Saw a white/oyster 550i M package (nice lookining car) ..for an unreal price...looks like the winner!
That's definitely a whole new direction. Not comparable to a 911 at all but still a sweet car! I still drool over an e39 M5.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:34 PM
mojorisinm3 is infamous around these parts
Lease on '09 911S PDK is coming to an end and i have a fabulous deal on an '11 M3 Coupe, 6sp, competition package. Question, the 911s is my everyday car (believe it or not) . I am looking for something slightly larger,more practical, with a bigger trunk but still handles great and is quick. Does the M3 fit the bill from those in the know how? Reading lots of articles it seems so. Anyone who owns or has owned a current M3 coupe is there any nuances i should know about? Is the start/stop function a real pain or is it always off? ANy other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank You
I've had an 08 M3 sedan for almost 3 years, rock solid. Its a DD here in MI. Make sure to get the EDC as the settings can make a big difference if your roads are bad.

The car is a blast, the V8 spinning at 8300 is addictive. Its not a sports car, like a 911, however its engaging. Its also a bit understaded vs. a 911. Most people think its just a 3 series, unless you're an enthusiast then you know its special.

I've tracked mine as well.

I had 2 E46 M3's and those weren't as reliable.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:36 PM
mojorisinm3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by crackberry005
not great at spelling over here. it is admittedly one of my gaps in knowledge. but you still get what im trying to say.

look, bottom line is that there are a good grip of people who say that they have rattles. there are also a good grip of people who say they dont have rattles. they are not mutually exclusive. just because your m car doesnt have rattles does not mean that others dont have rattles. this has been well discussed many times. all these people are saying that they are seasoned m drivers and have owned many seem to refuse to accept that there are mcars out there with major rattles. just do a simple search. the info is there; you are just not looking hard enough. or you can just pretend that your car is perfect. whatever makes you happy. but again, rattles have been a problem that many have been complaining about. its up to you if you wanna believe or not.

im tired of this. im saying the same thing over and over again. just trying to help and pass info, but people just dont want to listen. cant help people who dont want to be helped. im out.
Maybe stick to posting about your personal experiences vs. something you read on a forum. I've owned 2 E90 BMW + an E70 in the garage, and a number of friends with them. All rock solid. NO RATTLES. LOL.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:18 PM
zman is infamous around these parts
I own a e92 m3 and a 997turbo. M3 has been flawless. No rattles and very fun car. I.love it.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Protein is infamous around these parts
I own an e92 M3 as well and the car has no rattles, and neither did the 335i I owned prior. That said, at some point ALL cars get rattles, especially performance based cars. In my opinion the M3 is a very engaging driving experience. I've said many times since owning the e92 that moving from this car into anything but another V8 is going to be disappointing, it's been that intoxicating. I've always been drawn to V8's, but to my ears there are few exhaust notes that compare (certainly not the CS'). Hot rod looks and sound, superb steering feel, understated luxury interior, a full back seat, and an 8400 red line. Pretty damn good car I'd say.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:14 AM
aus
aus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud of
Trovan had a 997.1 and it had rattles, but he didn't come on the internet and ***** about it.

So for the OP, you're a fool if you base your opinion on forums.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:17 AM
aus
aus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud of
I'm curious as to where this is documented. I am on M3post almost too often and have not seen any threads on rattling in an E9x M3.
I've only seen a couple posts about rattles too.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:59 PM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Thanks fellas for all the input and suggestions. After test driving several sporty 4-door sedans (had to go this route) such as Panamara 4S, E63, 550i M Sport i went with the Bimmer. Overall the best fit for me. Will miss the 997.2 but I will be back.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Location: Waltham, MA/Southport,CT/Vero Beach, FL/Grosse Pointe, MI
steve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to all
Thanks fellas for all the input and suggestions. After test driving several sporty 4-door sedans (had to go this route) such as Panamara 4S, E63, 550i M Sport i went with the Bimmer. Overall the best fit for me. Will miss the 997.2 but I will be back.
You went with a non-M 5 series compared to a E63

Old 04-23-2011, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by aus
I've only seen a couple posts about rattles too.
I'm curious as to where this is documented. I am on M3post almost too often and have not seen any threads on rattling in an E9x M3.
here you guys go. lot of people talking about it.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470958

still dont believe me? just do a simple search. its well documented, and even people in that thread claim that the problem is well documented. told you guys so.

Last edited by crackberry005; 04-23-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:28 PM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
i had rattles in my 02 C4S, 07 997, 09 Cayenne GTS and 11 Cayenne S. On the other hand, i also had rattles in my 99 M3, 01 X5, 02 M3. Oh, let's not forget my 08 E63 and 05 S4 which have all rattled. However, they were all great cars and provided great driving experiences in their own way. I would never think of "step up or down" between these cars. i believe they served their purpose for what i was looking for. they all had great leathers. i just picked up a 11 E90 M3 competition few days ago. it is fast and handles perfectly for my daily commute, for the last 2 days. most importantly, i can carry my 2 kids in the back and throw stuff in the trunk. i had originally went to get a 997 4S but didn't get it when i realize it was not practical for me right now. after looking at the new e46, 550M, 750M and panamera, the M3 fitted the best. i will enjoy this car until things change. they are cars, not furnitures or watches.

congrats on the OP's new car. I was in love with the 550 M-package after the test drive. you will enjoy it until next time!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:40 PM
PorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to behold
I have to add my 2 cents...I've had zero problems with 43K miles on my M3 6sp in 2yrs 4 mos of driving. It is a fantastic daily driver - except for the frequent stops at the gas station. No rattles in the M3 or in my previous 4 Bimmers. My Porsche is fantastic but the M3 is the hands down daily driver winner.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Going from 911 S to '11 M3 6sp