BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

1M as daily commuter in China?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
1M as daily commuter in China?

BMW China has recently announced that the 1M will be arriving in the China market with a limited availability of 200 cars.

They actually price the car quite aggressively at $589,000 RMB! on comparison, a chinese assemble 325i M-Sport cost $499,00 RMB and a 335i is around $620-680k RMB, The M3 coupe is at twice the price of $1.2m RMB

Right now, I commute my trip from HK to china with my GTR mostly. But I don't really like to drive my HK car in china for local commute. Most of this work is done at the moment with my Passat CC. (locals can easily judge where u are from by the color of the license plate u have on the car! so its safer to blend in)

What do u guys think? Good deal to get into a 1M?

Old 09-23-2011, 03:10 AM
homi mike is infamous around these parts
So are you buying it from China (LHD) and leave it in China instead of getting a cross-border permit? No doubt the price is very attracting, not sure if you would wanna row your own gears while getting stuck in traffic when every taxi and bus driver tries to cut you off, fighting into the space you leave between you and the car ahead of you.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:43 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by homi mike
So are you buying it from China (LHD) and leave it in China instead of getting a cross-border permit? No doubt the price is very attracting, not sure if you would wanna row your own gears while getting stuck in traffic when every taxi and bus driver tries to cut you off, fighting into the space you leave between you and the car ahead of you.
Was a bit confused when he said, driving from HK to China, to me that is like, driving from LA to the US. But then I forgot HK used to be a British Colony up until the summer of 1997 so HK drives on the wrong side of the road. I wouldn't do it, the 1M is manual only I believe, I would not want to row any gears in that traffic. Unless it has DCT, I would get something else.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:34 AM
ihatepotholes is infamous around these partsihatepotholes is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Crea
BMW China has recently announced that the 1M will be arriving in the China market with a limited availability of 200 cars.

They actually price the car quite aggressively at $589,000 RMB! on comparison, a chinese assemble 325i M-Sport cost $499,00 RMB and a 335i is around $620-680k RMB, The M3 coupe is at twice the price of $1.2m RMB

Right now, I commute my trip from HK to china with my GTR mostly. But I don't really like to drive my HK car in china for local commute. Most of this work is done at the moment with my Passat CC. (locals can easily judge where u are from by the color of the license plate u have on the car! so its safer to blend in)

What do u guys think? Good deal to get into a 1M?
i don't know where did you get your numbers from buddy. however, two of my friends have M3s in China, they are both in the 950k to 1M range.

BMW dealerships in china sell grey market vehicles as well as the vehicles that are dedicated to china. they are tons cheaper and they come with warranties.

Traffic is horrific in ShenZhen, i assume that's where you across the border... i would get something automatic and more comfortable.

Last edited by ihatepotholes; 09-23-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:19 PM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
yea... being manual only is my biggest concern! city traffic is horrific anywhere in China.

Mike, I have the cross border plate on my GTR. Driving around in a HK car always catches attention! So getting a less flashy local plated car is always safer. But I wouldn't consider the 1M not flashy LOL....

My numbers are just from the MSRP BMW China posted.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:50 PM
e46m3smg is infamous around these partse46m3smg is infamous around these parts
Why not drive an M1 daily? It's not a supercar and to be honest it's not flashy at all. Nobody hides the 1M to drive on occasion, it's not exactly an exotic.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:32 AM
China is not exactly a safe country....

Old 10-04-2011, 03:17 AM
DrakeKemper is infamous around these parts
Wait, so the 135 is more expensive than the 1M?

Old 10-04-2011, 03:26 AM
homi mike is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DrakeKemper
Wait, so the 135 is more expensive than the 1M?
No, the OP was talking about the 335i.

Stick shift is the suck driving in china, and driving a RHD car is a bit of a hassle since most shopping malls and entrances have their parking ticket machine on the land hand side. You have to do quite a big maneuver to push for a parking ticket when entering a garage

Old 10-05-2011, 02:25 AM
If I'm really going with the 1M, I will be getting rid of my GTI there. But then, the GTI is mostly used by my personal assistant in China. I don't really think I want to let her drive the 1M!!!

I'm also checking out the new A6L 3.0....this car really blends in anywhere in china!

Not much time left to decide.... only 200 1M will be sold in china...