BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

attic2zoo: Jumping on the VF620 Bandwagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:20 PM
SGNTR35 is a jewel in the roughSGNTR35 is a jewel in the roughSGNTR35 is a jewel in the roughSGNTR35 is a jewel in the rough
attic2zoo: Jumping on the VF620 Bandwagon

PREVIEW:
With the start of 2012, I had a lot of mixed emotions regarding the future of my MY2011 Mineral White E92 M3. After the 2011 Volk Racing SEMA build, (partnership between Volk Racing x Vorsteiner x EAS), I parted out the car thinking I wanted to jump into various different cars. If you look at some of my previous threads, I have a "habit" of building things, taking finished photos and tearing them apart shortly after.

The main reason was that I was looking for a car with bit more power and character and I thought my M3 lacked some of the "it" factor to keep me stimulated another 1-2 more years. I always refer to the M3 as the "wife". It's not a 10 in a category but flat 7's all across from looks, speed, handling, utility, etc... if it was a woman, it's the one you bring home to the parents. But because of that, my wandering eye ventured into couple of other options. GTR, I refer to it as the "Blonde Hair Asian Girl", everyone wants to have her for a bit as a fling . Another option was a 2010 GT3 but that was at the peak of my budget so it left me @ a point where I was spending a lot but it would be a waste of mileage since all my cars are daily drivers.

Even post part out, I was hanging out @ EAS and every day, I would still run around, do food runs for the guys and attempt to showcase my limited mechanical skills shining Tom's wheels LOL. Tom loved sending me on driving errands and always throws me the keys to their shop E92 M3. I was always reluctant to drive it since I always had a fear of "aftermarket" forced induction kit and the last thing I wanted to do was crash a beautifully put together shop car or to blow up a 700HP monster. But one day, I just gave in and took it for a drive and that resulted in being the most costly test drive of my life. I brought it back in 1 piece and an "inception" was implanted in my mind.

Fast Forward 1 month: "(1) VF620 kit please and I will sign my soul below on your EAS"

I rehearsed and told myself the lines to justify the purchase. Hell, having a fashion business, I always saw building a car as an opportunity for "branding" and it just happened Spring 2012 was a huge time for Mfest & Bimmerfest. So M3 decided to jump into version 3.0 and the first rule of business was to get a heart transplant with the same pacemaker from "Crank"

Harassing Sammy & Steve aka being a paparazzi + instagram swag points

Done Dada

Being in So Cal, you are pretty spoiled with the plethora of experienced tuners and VF Engineering being a hop skip and a jump from my work was awesome. I had the pleasure of meeting Nik and his knowledge of the BMW ecu and supercharger characteristics put a lot of my "aftermarket" forced induction at ease. But to be honest, not taking anything from Nik but I realized now that VF has it's own tune loading cable so I could be in the middle of nowhere and Nik (VF Engineering) can send me the optimal tune with 1 email! I love how something that was regarded as the craziest "mod" is so plug n play now.

BEHIND THE WHEEL REVIEW:
Starting the beast, I couldn't have been noticed that my car just underwent surgery. Idle was stock, exhaust noise was normal, nothing out of the ordinary. Driving it home, initially I didn't notice anything. But I say that in a good way because the car felt so stock and smooth, no one would guess I have a 620 crank HP motor underneath my hood. Turn off traction control, DSC off, let's do my usualy on ramp near EAS. I get an aggressive tire kick out, grab the wheel, take a breath "whoa" - in a Keeanu Reeves "Matrix" tone. So I keep cruising and go onto the fwy and I decide to do the DCT downshift and I was the car's exhaust started screaming "Peace Out"... This thing was a rocket! I had to check myself numerously as I felt that this car was dying to be in triple digits and driving this beast in 80mph range almost felt like I was punishing the car. It has been 2 weeks since I owned the kit and I started to calm down my teenage urges to look for every Z06 and GTR to measure up my manhood against to gauge where I stand lol. My friends all fight to take my car for a spin here and there, but the best part? My frugal side of my personality wasn't upset as the MPG on this kit is VERY identical to the stock M3 output. Not saying much since the M3 sucks in this department but at least it didn't get a LOT worse...

CONCLUSION:
I can honestly say the VF620 kit is the single reason why I am still owning the car today. It has captivated me and re motivated me to enjoy all the great pleasures of the M but gave me an additional "WOW" that made me want to initially stray. Big ups to EAS for the awesome package they put together for me and really working with me to find a way to get this beast in my possession!