BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

Car for my son

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 PM
rob76turbo is infamous around these parts
Car for my son

Hi everyone out there in 6Speed land,

My son just completed major back surgery (Scoliosis aka curvature of the spine) and because of his condition, he will no longer be able to drive his modified 1995 Jeep YJ. The Jeep is simply too rough riding for him, so we are selling it. He is looking for a nice driver in the $5K range. He would like automatic if possible, but may consider a car he could eventually autocross in. We have looked at a couple of MY2000 323Ci / 325Ci that are in that price range (give or take) and he likes them. So he is leaning BMW. If you have something interesting, let us know. BTW we live in TX so would want to keep it in the state (so to speak).

Thanks,
Rob t.

Last edited by rob76turbo; 04-02-2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Not sure if we can give you advice based on an unknown medical issue, lack of info on car type.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:25 PM
galwaycolin is infamous around these parts
I'm a rookie here so I don't feel qualified to give sage car advice. I can however share some of my post back surgery experience, albeit not from the same specific procedure as your son. Back surgery can be a slow recovery process and soon after surgery tends to be a very painful and tender time. Depending on the prognosis from your surgeon I would suggest you stay positive and optimistic. -Think best case scenario and encourage your son to do the same. -Mind over matter really is powerful in the healing process.

On the topic of which car -like I said I'm a rookie but in my experience the Beemers I've driven tend to be quite a rigid ride. On the other hand -my wife has a '06 Subie Legacy GT with a 2.5L turbo boxer engine in it. -Not the worlds fastest but safe (did v. well in crash tests), quite fun and comfortable for daily driving. I've even autocrossed in it -but not necessarily to win trophies, -more for fun!

Good luck and good healing!

Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 AM
Rackthis is infamous around these parts
Have you looked at an Lexus IS300? Great handling car and they are very low maintenance. Really comfortable. Lacks a little on power but they do have turbo systems readily available. The automatic has the paddle/button shifts on the wheel. Hope this helps

Old 04-09-2013, 01:50 PM
j03chu is infamous around these parts
Agreed with posters above..

Bmw's are known to ride a bit more "sporty" regardless of the model designation. Have your son testdrive the car and see if the suspension is soft enough for him?

A lexus does sound nice... Reliable + soft riding.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:59 PM
sometrumpetguy is infamous around these parts
If you are willing to get a sedan, the E39s tend to go for reasonable prices and will be a bit more comfortable than the 3 Series. I've owned a few BMWs and grew up with them, my dads E39 M5 was very comfortable, but even a 528i or 530i will be a good choice. Lexus are also nice, but I'm a BMW guy.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 AM
sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !
We had a 2003 325i and the ride was quite good (don't get the sports package). The only reason why we sold it (for the X3) was there simply wasn't enough footroom in the back seat for our son.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Lumbar or thoracic scoliosis? Did they put in H rods? If lumbar, it will take longer to get comfortable riding in a car, let along, competing in an autocross. Thoracic will be faster and it does not have as much load/compression in that area compared to the lumbar region. 80% of weight bearing spinal compression occures in the lumbar spine.

Good luck and I hope for a fast recovery!