M5 Touring pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 06:51 PM
Paul S is infamous around these parts
M5 Touring pics

The car guy's family car. What a beaut.

From AutoWeek.com

"It’s not due in North American showrooms for at least 12 months, but we’ve caught the new BMW M5 Sports Wagon testing in minimal disguise at Germany’s Nürburgring track.

Aimed squarely at the Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG and the upcoming second-generation Audi RS6, BMW’s go-fast load hauler receives the same 5.0-liter 500-hp V10 engine and other mechanical modifications as its lauded sedan sibling, so expect sizzling performance to back up its versatile luggage space.

Visually, the wagon adheres closely to the M5 sedan with a deeper front bumper with enlarged cooling ducts, widened sills beneath the doors and new rear bumper designed to draw hot air away from the differential. BMW’s M division developed a spoiler that sits atop the standard 5 Series liftgate to smooth airflow and reduce lift at speed.

One hurdle for BMW’s M division was engineering the M5 Sports Wagon’s rear suspension. While retaining the same multilink design, it differs from that of the M5 sedan, with more compact towers and a self-leveling mechanism to improve load capacity.

The appearance of the new M5 wagon comes 10 years after BMW’s last attempt at muscling its way into the performance wagon market. Based on the 3.8-liter 340-hp inline six-cylinder E34 M5, the first M5 wagon was produced in a limited run of just 900 cars.

The decision to forge ahead with the new model is driven by increased demand for performance wagons in the United States. “We’ve been monitoring the development of wagon sales in the USA carefully,” says our BMW source, “and after a long period of stagnation they are rebounding quite heavily, and there is a feeling an M5 Sports Wagon could do well.”

Old 11-14-2005, 01:03 AM
Finality is infamous around these partsFinality is infamous around these parts
The 5 series just got even uglier.

I really didn't think that was possible.

Old 11-24-2005, 03:39 PM
Craigger is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Finality
The 5 series just got even uglier.

I really didn't think that was possible.
by ooking like a last generation E class wagon from the back? cool.

I love the idea though. none of the auto RS6 or E55....7 speed and 8000 plus rpms

Old 11-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Wagons are very big in europe....probaby take M5 Wagon before Cay TT no offense....

Old 11-27-2005, 03:40 AM
safetywork is infamous around these parts
I'd like to own one but personally I doubt the touring version of the M5 would be available here in the US. However if I'm wrong and I hope I am, I like one with a 3rd pedal please.