BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6
View Poll Results: Which tranny should I get for my new M5?
6 speed manual
57.73%
SMG III
42.27%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Getting a 2007 M5, stick or SMG??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
6MT. W/o a doubt.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:18 PM
DaveH is a jewel in the roughDaveH is a jewel in the roughDaveH is a jewel in the rough
I owned an M5 for 4 months - put about 5K miles on it and feel highly qualified to recommend NOT to get the SMG if you enjoy anything other than sitting in a car and letting it do most of the inputs while you pull electronic leavers etc. After the novelty factor wears off, you realize that you have an uninvolved, over engineered and over compensating car. If you enjoy driving (vs. stearing), don't get an SMG. I had no probs with the car but the SMG made me launch it (pun intended).

Old 09-17-2006, 12:13 PM
santicua is infamous around these parts
I would definitely get the 6 speed. Have driven the SMG and although it shifts really quick, I still feel like its uninvolving compared to a conventional manual.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:15 PM
kaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the rough
as much i love driving stick, i prefer smg for the m5, you never know when your gonna get stuck in traffic, plus the smg has the quickest shift, no human can shift like the smg. Plus you can switch the SMG in a5 (fast, high-rpm shifts, and ultra-quick downshifts), It almosts feels like playing a video game. But you can always get stick if you feel more comfortable.

Last edited by kaz555; 09-17-2006 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:26 PM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
I'd get the SMGIII.

Old 09-17-2006, 05:15 PM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
Most guys who don't own M5's will say manual. 90% of us who actually own them will tell you SMG.

There is nothing cooler than banging off redline shifts in S6, laying down a 50 foot patch of burning rubber and then squawking into 2 and 3.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool manual guy who hasn't owned anything but a standard since age 16, but I'd never get a manual in the M5.

Old 09-17-2006, 05:36 PM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
The third pedal makes things go in another way...the right way!
If you want the real fun and pleasure of driving a car like the M5 fast, that's the choice! With the SMG III the car moves greatly but you can not say you are able to drive it the way it's supposed to.
Go for the manual

P.S.: NO offense to who has the SMG...just a matter of preference

Old 09-17-2006, 07:31 PM
BAD ASH is infamous around these parts
6MT would be my choice.
Are you staying with black with chrome lip?

Old 09-17-2006, 09:12 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Go w/ 6 speed manual tranny...It worked great in my e39 M5!!

Old 09-18-2006, 06:21 AM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Hey Lou,

If you can't (of course, I know you shift very well... ) or don't want to shift... go SMG. If you want maximum driver-car interaction, then manual.

It simply depends on how you intend on using this 500hp 4-door sedan... only toy, biz sedan, 3rd car, primary commuter, occassional track *****, etc... I can see it both ways depending on application.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:15 AM
A430v is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DaveH
I owned an M5 for 4 months - put about 5K miles on it and feel highly qualified to recommend NOT to get the SMG if you enjoy anything other than sitting in a car and letting it do most of the inputs while you pull electronic leavers etc. After the novelty factor wears off, you realize that you have an uninvolved, over engineered and over compensating car. If you enjoy driving (vs. stearing), don't get an SMG. I had no probs with the car but the SMG made me launch it (pun intended).
Having nearly the same ownership experience as Dave, I share the same sentiment. 6 speed all the way baby. Not that SMG is not good, I could get it smooth 99% of the time and no human can shift faster, but that 1% bugged **** me because it's not your fault it was jerky, it's the damned electronics. I hate not being in control.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:49 AM
vtgts300kw is infamous around these parts
i couldnt imagine driving the m5 with a 6 speed manual?

id definatly get the SMGIII.

as jamie said, there is nothing better than banging home redline shifts in s6 in 2nd gear, gettin the tires twitching.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Gabriel is infamous around these parts
Get the SMG. It's not like you will downshift and rev match all the time in a 2,000kg car...

Old 09-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
I'm not sure why people point out the fact that the SMG can shift faster than an avg/most humans AS A REASON to go with the SMG. Short of trying to wring out the fastest lap at the track, that's a moot point for a street car.

Yes, it's a cool technology point, but it's hardly a reason in itself to be proud of if you're capable of banging gears, heel-towing, and rev-matching with your own hands and feet. I have to believe a true sports car enthusiast would find more satisfaction executing a "slower" perfect shift, down-shift, etc on his/her own than to pull a lever and have the computer bang it fractionally faster.

Put it this way... when cars eventually turn, brake, and maneuver faster than humans, will it make the car even better? For a pure commuter, absolutely, but for a SPORTS car, never. At some point, when you start taking the human factor out of driving, you loose. A car enthusiast could care less if a computer can do it faster, because he'd rather do it himself.

Last edited by StephenTi; 09-18-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:19 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by StephenTi
I'm not sure why people point out the fact that the SMG can shift faster than an avg/most humans AS A REASON to go with the SMG. Short of trying to wring out the fastest lap at the track, that's a moot point for a street car.

Yes, it's a cool technology point, but it's hardly a reason in itself to be proud of if you're capable of banging gears, heel-towing, and rev-matching with your own hands and feet. I have to believe a true sports car enthusiast would find more satisfaction executing a "slower" perfect shift, down-shift, etc on his/her own than to pull a lever and have the computer bang it fractionally faster.

Put it this way... when cars eventually turn, brake, and maneuver faster than humans, will it make the car even better? For a pure commuter, absolutely, but for a SPORTS car, never. At some point, when you start taking the human factor out of driving, you loose.
I agree with you. why point out it shifts faster than any person can. Despite this fact, the 6MT is more involving and remember that with the m3s the 6MT was always faster in ET's than the SMG.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Getting a 2007 M5, stick or SMG??