BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6
View Poll Results: Which tranny should I get for my new M5?
6 speed manual
57.73%
SMG III
42.27%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Getting a 2007 M5, stick or SMG??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 09:34 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
I think people are just thinking about this as an overall transmission war...I think some poeple dont really realize what this car is or its purpose...OBV the threadstarter doesnt need another hardcore sports car...as he has 2 already...so MOST LIKELY he wants something that he can go through traffic in, go to the city, take on long trips and just mope around in...in that case...im pretty sure that he would want the ability of an auto WITH the ability to shift on his own if he so chooses or is prompted by a civic with a 16yr old... Even though SMGIII isnt perfect, it does a GREAT job with combining the best aspects of a GT/sports car...

I say SMGIII

Old 09-25-2006, 03:03 PM
icon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by StephenTi
A car enthusiast could care less if a computer can do it faster, because he'd rather do it himself.
all YOU can do is state your opinion.
not the opinion of ALL car enthusiasts.
jeff

Old 09-26-2006, 05:43 PM
///M PHOBIA is infamous around these parts
6 spd manual no doubt !

Old 09-26-2006, 11:37 PM
Banned
FERRAR1 is infamous around these parts
M5 is a beautiful car. No doubt about that.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:43 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
M3/Z4m = 6MT
M5/M6 = SMGIII

Old 09-28-2006, 12:20 AM
.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold
ok maybe we cant compare the ease of driving my gti in traffic to an M5......im sure the M5s clutch is harsh, but common on what is the big deal wit driving manual?

i don't understand why people look at it like it's a hassle......you dont here people in the rest of the world crying....only top end cars in europe even come wit an automatic tranny

Old 09-28-2006, 12:53 AM
Ag Surfer is infamous around these parts
Here's the thing: The E60 M5 motor doesnt have much torque down low compared to the E39 M5 (which is available only with a 6MT). The SMGIII in the E60 has 7 gears to make this less of an issue. Although I prefer driving a true stick, I am concerned that the gearing on the 6MT will not be ideal for the power curve of the E60 M5 motor. Hope that made sense.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:12 AM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by noslushbox
ok maybe we cant compare the ease of driving my gti in traffic to an M5......im sure the M5s clutch is harsh, but common on what is the big deal wit driving manual?

i don't understand why people look at it like it's a hassle......you dont here people in the rest of the world crying....only top end cars in europe even come wit an automatic tranny
The answer, my friend, is simple... the avg American driver is much lazier than the Europeans... sad but true.

I'd have a lot more respect for people who come out and say "I'm simply too lazy to shift for myself"... rather than, "auto is faster", "auto has 7 gears", etc.

Like I always say, some day, a computer will shift, steer, brake, and maneuver faster than any human can... relegating the "driver" to "passenger" status... will THAT be the ultimate sports car b/c it can do everything "better"?

Old 09-28-2006, 03:46 PM
.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Ag Surfer
Here's the thing: The E60 M5 motor doesnt have much torque down low compared to the E39 M5 (which is available only with a 6MT). The SMGIII in the E60 has 7 gears to make this less of an issue. Although I prefer driving a true stick, I am concerned that the gearing on the 6MT will not be ideal for the power curve of the E60 M5 motor. Hope that made sense.
ya i get what your saying

Old 09-28-2006, 03:47 PM
The answer, my friend, is simple... the avg American driver is much lazier than the Europeans... sad but true.

I'd have a lot more respect for people who come out and say "I'm simply too lazy to shift for myself"... rather than, "auto is faster", "auto has 7 gears", etc.

Like I always say, some day, a computer will shift, steer, brake, and maneuver faster than any human can... relegating the "driver" to "passenger" status... will THAT be the ultimate sports car b/c it can do everything "better"?
ya i guess you are right

Old 09-28-2006, 11:22 PM
where do you get this stuff?

what if it's not one of those reasons?

is that really a serious analogy?
big dif b/t that scenario and sequential shift.
btw i much prefer manual but am not silly enough to think every
enthusiast should see it my way or they don't deserve the label.
jeff

Old 09-29-2006, 12:15 AM
SLC4S is infamous around these parts
haha.... smg vs. manual, a timeless and classic battle. I think sometimes people start these threads just to watch the fight that ensues...

I'm waiting for the OP to expound on what the car's purpose is, although I would go manual any way out of nothing but preference. I like driving clutch and I'm probably not even super duper good at it, I'm ok with losing a bit of performance, it leaves room for learning and progress.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:25 AM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Hey Jeff!

1) Find me a group of people that think otherwise, denial's a b*tch, haha... 90% of passenger cars sold in the U.S. are automatics vs. 20% for Europe, is it due to their higher gas prices, or could it b/c the avg U.S. driver is too lazy to shift for themselves, prefering to pay a premium for auto.

To put it another way, if automotive laziness is not the #1 reason for not knowing or learning to drive stick here in the U.S., then you tell me what is.

2) another reason = just another excuse...

3) yes they do... haha

Seriously though Jeff, I'm sure you know a lot of this is playful banter. Yes, I know can enthusiasts come with all different preferences. Some prefer FWD to RWD, some prefer looks over performance, some prefer fake trunk wings over functional brake ducts, 1/4 over roadracing, F1 to NASCAR, etc... to each his own, right... .

When I don't shift gears for any extended amout of time, I get very antsy. In fact, after selling the Turbo and NSX, I am currently between sports cars, and it is literally killing me. I can always take my wife's tip MCS out for a canyon carving session if I want, but for me, much would be misssing b/c banging gears is such an essential part of the sports car experience. If someone put a S2000 and auto-manual Gallardo in front of me, and told me I had to keep one as my only sports car for the next 5 years, I'd probably take the S2000, that's how badly I need the fix! Peace...

Old 09-29-2006, 10:50 AM
stephen,
currently no sports car?
well you obviously qualify for the temporary insanity defense!
i thought i had it bad having to put up w/ a 997c2s cab (6spd) until 997gt3 arrives hopefully around end of nov.
was even thinking of trading the s cab on an m5 in the mean time.
local dealer has smg's on the showroom floor, and a waiting list on '07 manuals even in the lazy u.s. of a.!
in your scenario i'd probably take that four wheeled motorcycle as well!
jeff

Old 09-29-2006, 10:55 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
stephen,
M coupe is just right for u - pure & simple + 6sp. drove it again last week it was a blast. everything felt just right except the bmw clutch/shifting takes a little time to get used to. M5, oh boy. i go SMG again if i end up getting another one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Getting a 2007 M5, stick or SMG??