BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

M6 W/ Smg

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 12:16 AM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
M6 W/ Smg

What is everyone's opinion regarding the M6 with smg/auto. If you could believe it I actually had a salesman trying to discourage me about leasing one. He stated it was not a smooth ride. Shifts are very abrupt. So i suggested why don't you just leave it in regular automatic mode. Any suggestions before I make a MISTAKE????

Old 11-23-2006, 02:43 AM
alenst is a name known to allalenst is a name known to allalenst is a name known to allalenst is a name known to allalenst is a name known to allalenst is a name known to all
The best way to find out is to get a test drive.

Btw, you'll get more answers from these BMW fanatics :
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Old 11-23-2006, 03:37 AM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
In manual mode, you can shift it as smoothly as an automatic. If you think you will spend much time in automatic, keep shopping.

Old 11-23-2006, 11:06 AM
gnot168 is infamous around these partsgnot168 is infamous around these parts
The auto-mode in the SMGII in the e46 M3 was not very smooth at all. I have not driven the the new SMG but have heard there is a slight improvment. Manual mode would be the way to go otherwise in auto-mode you will get the jerky motion when not in the "sweet" spot. I would think it would be more pronounce with the heavier M6 and M5.

Definitely test drive before making the decision.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:30 PM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
I visited 2 dealers in NJ and they will only let you sit in the car. Believe that. Only if you buy the car will they let you test drive it. Who the hell will spend 106,000 on a car without test driving it? The car will be a daily driver so it will mostly be driven in auto mode. If the auto mode is THAT bad i guess i could go for the 650i but it seems very similar to my current car, a 545i. I am looking for more of a change (read performance).

Old 11-24-2006, 01:11 AM
tme
tme is infamous around these parts
I just got an M6 Cab and the trans can be smooth as silk or abrupt as me.......... there are 5 settings for manual and auto and a 6th for manual when u turn off the DSC............. First real clutchless car I've owned and love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go to Paul Miller BMW in Wayne and they have an M6 u can drive..................... see Ron the sales mgr and tell him Todd sent u

Old 11-24-2006, 03:10 AM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
I took the M5 yesterday for test drive it's just amazing with the SMG it reminded me of the ferrari F1 360 it's really nice

Old 11-25-2006, 07:51 AM
Banned
Origyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 07speed
I visited 2 dealers in NJ and they will only let you sit in the car. Believe that. Only if you buy the car will they let you test drive it. Who the hell will spend 106,000 on a car without test driving it? The car will be a daily driver so it will mostly be driven in auto mode. If the auto mode is THAT bad i guess i could go for the 650i but it seems very similar to my current car, a 545i. I am looking for more of a change (read performance).
Which dealership did you go to in Jersey?

Old 11-25-2006, 07:53 AM
Banned
Origyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tme
I just got an M6 Cab and the trans can be smooth as silk or abrupt as me.......... there are 5 settings for manual and auto and a 6th for manual when u turn off the DSC............. First real clutchless car I've owned and love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go to Paul Miller BMW in Wayne and they have an M6 u can drive..................... see Ron the sales mgr and tell him Todd sent u
Exactly the dealer I was going to say he should visit.

Could you believe one of the salesman wanted to race me on my bike when I was on rt23 with that M6. I think he was rudely awakened as I just walked away from him.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Open Road and Prestige

Old 11-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by 07speed
Open Road and Prestige
Check out Paul Miller BMW, great people there. Good luck on your purchase.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:06 PM
PMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jamie
In manual mode, you can shift it as smoothly as an automatic. If you think you will spend much time in automatic, keep shopping.
Werd.

Seriously, the SMG in normal driving can be shifted more-or-less imperceptibly after some practice. It's all in how you work the throttle immediately before and as you hit the paddle.

At low speeds (< 10mph, or parking, etc.) it is pretty annoying, though. I always feel like it doesn't *quite* blip enough on the downshift to smooth out the sudden engine braking you get as you engage a lower gear.

If you follow BMW's advice to just keep your foot down and hit the paddle, you'll be rewarded with a crappy shift. Treat it as a new skill to learn (in fact the whole car has a learning curve), and you'll do better.

That said, I'd never buy without a no-strings test drive.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:56 PM
BD 997 is infamous around these parts
anyone know if the M6 have the same list of problems the M5's have(vanos,SMG failure etc..)... or are they more "reliable"?

Old 11-29-2006, 12:20 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
I ordered a 6speed M5, but, it came as an SMG....I am pleasantly surprised...It does NOT jerk in auto mode as long as you feather the accelerator..Its smooth and in S6 mode its purely evil.

Lou

Old 11-29-2006, 02:22 PM
BD 997 is infamous around these parts
why you selling the TT?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M6 W/ Smg