BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

Thoughts on 02-04 745i ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:22 AM
jox
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Thoughts on 02-04 745i ?

Who has one and how do you like it? They've dropped significantly since last year - any particular reason?

And pardon this incredibly stupid question but, uh.. where's the gear lever? I've never sat in one.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:38 PM
PTarga is infamous around these parts
They are out of warranty and an electronic nightmare. The shift lever is on the steering column.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:04 PM
jox
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PTarga
They are out of warranty and an electronic nightmare. The shift lever is on the steering column.
Explains it - I will stay far away. Thanks for the heads up mang.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:34 PM
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Consider a Phaeton, they can be had for money nowadays,
My pop and I was looking at one this weekend, very nice interior with 18-way adjustment on the seats For a bit more $ you can get into an A8, very nice car imho.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:17 AM
jox
I don't know, Phaetons are weird and practically dead on the market. Not a fan of any of the engines either. I'd much rather sport a Toe Rag.

I have been checking out A8s, but there aren't too many single frames around and most of them don't have sport seats (what is wrong with people?!?)

Old 06-05-2007, 07:37 AM
vtgts300kw is infamous around these parts
the A8 W12 in black is

Old 06-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Formerly 04ImolaZHP
InfamousD is infamous around these parts
i know someone selling a basically fully loaded CPO 745i. if you are interested i can put u in touch with them to ask him about the car in general and if interested see if you cant work a deal out. pm me if interested.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:37 AM
B.Anderson is infamous around these parts
Stay far away from an 02-04 745i/li They have so many problems with programing, what a nightmare. That is why the prices are so reasonable now.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:01 AM
PTarga is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jox
I don't know, Phaetons are weird and practically dead on the market. Not a fan of any of the engines either. I'd much rather sport a Toe Rag.

I have been checking out A8s, but there aren't too many single frames around and most of them don't have sport seats (what is wrong with people?!?)
I would go with the A8. Best looking German sedan in my opinion. Plus, they are not loaded to the gills with electronics. Form and function, no fuss.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:10 AM
jox
Originally Posted by PTarga
I would go with the A8. Best looking German sedan in my opinion. Plus, they are not loaded to the gills with electronics. Form and function, no fuss.
Agreed. Have had 2 S8 D2's before that I loved, but the "new" used ones locally here in northern Europe are either non-single frame or have stupid options. (no sport seats or that hideous baseball interior that looks bright orange). Yeah that's right, I'm very picky!

And the fact that the 7-series is half the price of the A8 from the same year really makes you wonder...

Anyway, thanks all! I've decided to look past them after a brief checkout today. Electronic failures suck.
Back in 2000 I had a friend with a 1997 740i and that thing was always acting up. I can only imagine what will happen if the newer one starts to go nuts like that one.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:25 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
I have an 04 745Li coming off lease with 51K on the clock. No mechanical problems at all. ZERO. Reflashed the auto transmission ECU one time and had to replace the amp for the bose system and a sensor in the passenger seat for the airbag. V60 phone was chit and only worked for a year. Pretty happy, I had that much crap going on with my previous couple of Mercedes in a matter of months.

Although my wife and kids thrashed it, it still drives like new.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:38 PM
jkb
jkb is infamous around these parts
i have '06 750i with ZERO problems and 22K miles. before that i had an '03 745Li on which i put about 50Kmiles. also, not a single major problem (minor ones were things like paint coming off form plastic button on the inside, etc.). as long as you find a car that has been trouble free and had all of its maintenance done on time, you'll be ok.

there are a lot of people who are running around screaming "electrical problems, fire, electrical problems", but in reality most of the stuff got fixed in software around 2004/2005

i been on a 7er board for years and these days it is dead quiet there compared to 2002/2003 era. the biggest problem now for people is deciding which tires to get:
http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e65/

also in US (cant remember if you are in europe?), 2002 and 2003 models have 6yr/100K miles warranty, while 2004 and up MY get 4yr/50K miles.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Banned
MabF355 is infamous around these parts
02s and 03s come with a 100k warranty automatically. That is not avalible on 2004s. Those are the years I would consider buying if any. I have had many 745s and while yes some of the electronics are a bit confusing, I really think they are a great car, especially since they can be had right around $30,000.
-Marc

Old 06-06-2007, 11:01 PM
tme
tme is infamous around these parts
Have had 3 745's and each 1 has been much better. Turning in my 04 745iL with 40,000 miles and think it the best all around driving car if u r not going to get a 2 seater. A/C seats, logic 7, bluetooth DVD nav ect. Show me another car in the low 40's that can come close....... and it still has the full factory maint incl wiper blades...........

Old 06-07-2007, 01:01 AM
jkb
jkb is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tme
BMW CS on order
haha... have you picked a color for CS yet?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on 02-04 745i ?