BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

750li vs. A8L

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 09:09 PM
TUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant future
Mercedes S 63/65 AMG FTW...

Old 07-16-2007, 03:50 AM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TUUNER
Mercedes S 63/65 AMG FTW...
And $50K+ more than the 750iL or A8L. I agree, but I think this is a price-dependent question.

Josh - Good post. Like I posted earlier, I like certain BMWs, but I am not beholden to one brand over another. I most certainly would have bought an M3 over the S4 if didn't have to contend with snow, etc. In fact, I tried to buy an M3 back in '01/'02, but the $15-20K markup drove me off. The manufacturers (Audi, BMW, MB) seem to be getting the picture that we want a combination of quality/performance/looks and are adjusting their deficiencies accordingly.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:41 AM
AwesomeBMW is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
And $50K+ more than the 750iL or A8L. I agree, but I think this is a price-dependent question.

Josh - Good post. Like I posted earlier, I like certain BMWs, but I am not beholden to one brand over another. I most certainly would have bought an M3 over the S4 if didn't have to contend with snow, etc. In fact, I tried to buy an M3 back in '01/'02, but the $15-20K markup drove me off. The manufacturers (Audi, BMW, MB) seem to be getting the picture that we want a combination of quality/performance/looks and are adjusting their deficiencies accordingly.
thanks for the compliment and the M3 is a great car, but like you said the RS4 fits your needs perfectly for what you have to deal with in your living environment, and i dont think enough people take that into consideration when looking for a sports/luxory car for themselves. they just think oh well i can afford this and that so who cares...

i think that is where Audi takes some **** bc they have AWD systems and i like everyone else would love to see a RWD RS4 but Audi builds them like that for a reason, and the reason is sports/race car ability with a touch of everyday usability...

Old 07-17-2007, 03:49 PM
mattkins99 is infamous around these parts
I'm a big bimmer fan, but not of the current 5 or 7 series. I appreciate what they are and what they can do, but I am not a fan of their looks. Use that to judge whatever you want. Also, I couldn't live without a manual transmission in my fun car, so neither of these cars would be an option for me.

BMW to me has always been sporty luxury. Not unless the Audi model starts with an S (or RS I guess) do I think of sporty when I think of an Audi. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Well, that's up to the buyer.

In the choice between the A8 and the 7 series, I think the A8 is a beautiful car and I have to say I LOVE the interior. I haven't driven one, but I really doubt it can compair to the 7 series active suspension. That system is simply amazing to see in action. I have a friend with a 745i and he could easily out corner my old 540 6-speed. But ask yourself this. do you care?

If I were in the market for a 7 series type car, I'd be looking at the following. Audi A8, Lexus LS460, Mercedes S550 (I think...), and the BMW 750.

Now this part is my personal opinion, so take it at that.
BWM - No, it's too ugly... sorry, it just is.
Lexus - No, it's too boring. Looks ok... but I'm not 70 years old.
Mercedes - No, drives like a couch and that's not for me. AMGs are different, but that's not an option here.
Audi - Yes, Beatiful and as long as it drives better than the Merc I think it's the best option.

To those who talk about electrical gremlins. The 7 series had a number of issues with the iDrive system, but most have been hammered out, so that's not really a problem. Also, all are for the most part good cars. These aren't 10 year old beaters. Ya, you might have to take it to the shop ever once and a while, but come, on, it's not that bad unless you have really bad luck and get a lemon. As for the person talking about the Audi's shocks.. or something. It's probably going to be under warranty, so who cares, and if it's not... why would you buy a car you can't afford to maintain?

Old 07-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Banned
crazy1323 is infamous around these parts
My dad drives an A8L and my uncle drives a 750i. I drive both cars often. Without a doubt i would go with the A8L. The interior of the Audi is so much nicer and well thought out. Also, the audi feels much faster because it is aluminum and luch lighter. Also, the styling is classic. When i pass a 7-Series i think "oh, just another guy in a 7-series." When you pass an A8L, you turn and look because there are few of them on the road.

I would get a W12 A8L with the executive seating option. After you see an A8L with the executive seating option you will never enjoy the interior of another car.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:19 PM
rakjoe is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 10krpms
Rakjoe, I can't tell if it is arrogance or ignorance that makes you say such things.
Neither, just trying to spice things up in this morgue, I don't even know what I was looking for in this thread to begin with...

You guys are boring

Old 07-19-2007, 12:23 AM
windnsea00 is infamous around these parts
Inside and out I personally like the A8 more than the 7-series...that A8 interior is beautiful. However, I was very impressed riding in a 7-series with the sport package, it really ate up some turns with impressive speed and ride quality. If driving is a priority than I think the BMW is the only route to go but if comfort/style are more important than the A8 seems quite nice!

Old 07-20-2007, 08:14 AM
joyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura about
I haven't heard any issues with bmw 7 series after '05 years.

Avoid all 745il's.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Will Party for Food!!!!
Jeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond repute
This can be resolved in two simple questions:

1) Will you be driving the car in heavy snow?

2) Do you like to drive?

Yes to #1 aims toward audi while #2 is totally BMW. I see you're from Chicago but without knowing if you have a winter beater/SUV it's hard to say. In my book I would buy the 7, get some snows for it if you're really worried, and be much happier the other 3 months of the year.

J

Old 07-22-2007, 11:26 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
Lexus LS460H > S8 > S550 Sport > 750Li > A8L

Old 07-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Will Party for Food!!!!
Jeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by WyattH
Lexus LS460H > S8 > S550 Sport > 750Li > A8L

You must not like to drive...

Old 07-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeremy
This can be resolved in two simple questions:

1) Will you be driving the car in heavy snow?

2) Do you like to drive?

Yes to #1 aims toward audi while #2 is totally BMW. I see you're from Chicago but without knowing if you have a winter beater/SUV it's hard to say. In my book I would buy the 7, get some snows for it if you're really worried, and be much happier the other 3 months of the year.

J
I haven't got to drive the A8 yet, but by the way my cousin's 7-series drives, I love it. Pretty much its the AWD of the A8 that is pushing me towards it. I love all around tractability, thats why I would consider the Audi, but out of all the sedans I have driven, Lexus included, nothing drives as sporty as the 7.

Last edited by Monaco; 03-24-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Will Party for Food!!!!
I think you are going to find that the audi isn't as sporty, so I guess the question comes down to whether or not you like the way the A8 drives, if it leaves something to be desired I would think a 7 with snows on it would be about 80% as good in HEAVY snow, and 90% in snow overall.

EDIT: also if you are buying new, there is a big resale value difference in favor of BMW

Old 07-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
If you can swing it, get the S8 - it has the A8's luxury, plus it's fun to drive...

Old 07-23-2007, 03:14 PM
jox
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Also, unless you absolutely need the extra backseat space - ditch the L. Way more sluggish. An A8 vs. an A8L is night and day in terms of "sportiness".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 750li vs. A8L