BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

750li vs. A8L

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 07:35 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jeremy
You must not like to drive...
Hmm, starting with an S2000 with an E92 on order, I think I do?

But I wouldn't be looking at any of these cars if I wanted to "drive". I look at this segment for features/luxury/comfort, etc - not driving experience.

If you only have room for one car, bummer. If you need a cruiser and like to drive, pick up a used M3 for the weekends and find an E-class or something.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:41 AM
Gabriel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by WyattH

But I wouldn't be looking at any of these cars if I wanted to "drive". I look at this segment for features/luxury/comfort, etc - not driving experience.

If you only have room for one car, bummer. If you need a cruiser and like to drive, pick up a used M3 for the weekends and find an E-class or something.
You think that the E92 will be as much of a driver's car as the S2k?

Old 07-24-2007, 09:33 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
No, but I am not going into it expecting that.

I used to live in an American suburb. The S2K was fine - I had it dialed in with a ton of upgrades (gears, BBK, bolt-ons, coilovers, wheels+tires, hardtop, seats, etc.). It was fine there.
Now I live in downtown Vancouver, Canada and cannot justify such a sport's car. The E92 is good compromise for MY life. But don't misunderstand - I do love to drive, and do love a driver's car. Every car has it's purpose, and every person has their own scenario & demands.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:58 PM
alkyoneus has a spectacular aura aboutalkyoneus has a spectacular aura aboutalkyoneus has a spectacular aura about
any updates? what did you get?

Old 07-25-2007, 06:32 AM
Gabriel is infamous around these parts
No, but I am not going into it expecting that.

I used to live in an American suburb. The S2K was fine - I had it dialed in with a ton of upgrades (gears, BBK, bolt-ons, coilovers, wheels+tires, hardtop, seats, etc.). It was fine there.
Now I live in downtown Vancouver, Canada and cannot justify such a sport's car. The E92 is good compromise for MY life. But don't misunderstand - I do love to drive, and do love a driver's car. Every car has it's purpose, and every person has their own scenario & demands.
Sure they do. What I meant is that the S2k shows that you enjoy driving and pushing a fine balanced car. The E92 shows that you are just getting fat a bit

Old 07-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Will Party for Food!!!!
Jeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond repute

You make a good point, but it sounds like he only wants one in the stable...

Old 07-25-2007, 09:33 PM
kaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the rough
Rakjoe you got any pics of the Lambo?

Old 07-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Will Party for Food!!!!
Jeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jpvarghese
does anyone know whether the free maintenance program is tranferrable? Thank you for the input!
I believe the free maintenance transfers along with the warranty. If you need any help locating the right 750 let me know, I may know a good source.

Jeremy

Old 07-29-2007, 04:29 PM
mgdsh is infamous around these parts
I know its not exactly in the same class, but I figured I'd through the suggestion out there incase you have that kind of money laying around (Basically another 50-75k): The Bentley Flying Spur. It's got the W12 from the audi (but tuned) and more interior luxury than you can ever imagine.

I drove one earlier this summer and I personally thought I'd never buy a car like that, but I know that one day I definitely will be in the market for atleast a Continental GT, if not the flying spur.

The interior options, and build quality are absolutely phenominal, and despite the weight (4500 lbs+), it feels pretty damn sporty.

My test drive was a scheduled one on bentley's portable fleet, but I'm sure if you expressed interest you could arrange for something like that, especially since you aren't planning on purchasing until next spring.

Cheers. GL with the decision.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
mgdsh,
When I think of a Bentley, I think of an old chap being driven in the back seat, spoon fed caviar with a hint of grey poupon! Thanks for the suggestion, though!! I'm sure its a great car and for the amount one spends, it better be! Unfortunately that's more than double the budget! Who knows, alot can change between now and then so we'll see!

Old 07-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Size is infamous around these parts
I own a 740i and a 750li and on the 750Li:
1. I must complain that the iDrive is probably one of the most cumbersome interfaces I have ever used.
2. Compared to the 740i, on low RPMs sometimes the torque is not there and you must the accelerator a bit down to get some "umph". I didn't feel this when driving an A8 during a road test.
3. Handling on the 750Li is better than the A8 (I drove this car before buying the bimmer). A8 feels heavier (read as not as nimble/quick) due to all wheel drive.
4. I think the A8's interior is prettier and its interface is better.
5. Ergonomically, the seats and the position of the wheel, etc is better than the A8 (I'm 6'2").
6. A8L and 750Li are basically the same interior room (in rear).
7. If you live in NE, all wheel drive is better. This was not a signficant factor for me (I'm a Long Island person), and if needed plan to buy snow tires for the 750. If I lived in Boston, then all wheel drive seems more important.
8. Styling - its up to you, but I like the 750's better - more character, especially the front end.
Hope this helps.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:32 PM
Banned
bmorrell is infamous around these parts
If you decide to get the A8, I've heard phenominal things about the B&O sound system.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
I'd get the Lexo.

Audi resale absolutely sux which tells you what their cars are about as much as people go nuts about its interior blah blah blah.

Proof is in the money.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:22 PM
kaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the rough
Audi A8l looks better iMO compared to the 750LI, it looks somewhat more aggressive and you can't go wrong with the w12 pumping 450hp.