BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

Active Autowerke 335i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 05:19 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Raz5219
Yup..I'm liking my car more and more everyday! The 135i will be fast, but I can't get over the matchbox car looks of it. I have a question about which software is being used? Is it the Xcede?edit: just read the link..it is the excede piggy back ecu
Raza,

I agree, it is a big funny looking, but i think next year I will probably add that since it's like really a good price and small for the city etc.

Raja

Old 07-13-2007, 09:39 AM
omarm is infamous around these parts
Hello Guys,

I usually come over here to browse the watch section and look around and I found this thread. I will answer a couple questions for you guys..

The Active Autowerke Programmede Xede units add around 55-65 rwhp and around 75-85 ft lbs of torque. The exhaust adds around 12-15 rwhp on a stock cars and we have seen up to 21 rwhp on a car equipped with one of our AA/Xede units. The BOV kit is basically a cosmetic mod for most but we have noticed that it does handle the higher boost levels better than the factory system.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:40 AM
omarm is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by LIL RAJA
Raza,

I agree, it is a big funny looking, but i think next year I will probably add that since it's like really a good price and small for the city etc.

Raja
Agreed, I think the car will look better in person.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Jem335i is infamous around these parts
FYI,

That AA 12.xx was on slicks not street tires. There are three companies currently making top tier piggyback units for the 335: AA, RD Sport and Vishnu. They're all making roughly the same power levels right now with only minor differences in the available features. Vishnu has openly advertized an upcoming version which will put them as the front runner on power gains based upon currently available data. However, I'm sure that AA and RD Sport will have some sort of response.

As others have mentioned Quaife makes an ATB LSD and other 335 owners have ordered clutch-type from diffsonline and elsewhere with no complaints thus far. Turner Motorsports makes a diff for the 335 as well.

The intial batch of Quaifes were running ~$1650.00 plus install. There are also at least two confirmed reports indicating that BMW made a manufacturing change for 335 build dates from March on where the rear diff is now welded to the housing. Thus the entire unit must be replaced for those who have a build date of Mar07 or later.

Last edited by Jem335i; 07-13-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:48 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Jem335i
FYI,

That AA 12.xx was on slicks not street tires. There are three companies currently making top tier piggyback units for the 335: AA, RD Sport and Vishnu. They're all making roughly the same power levels right now with only minor differences in the available features. Vishnu has openly advertized an upcoming version which will put them as the front runner on power gains based upon currently available data. However, I'm sure that AA and RD Sport will have some sort of response.

As others have mentioned Quaife makes an ATB LSD and other 335 owners have ordered clutch-type from diffsonline and elsewhere with no complaints thus far. Turner Motorsports makes a diff for the 335 as well.

The intial batch of Quaifes were running ~$1650.00 plus install. There are also at least two confirmed reports indicating that BMW made a manufacturing change for 335 build dates from March on where the rear diff is now welded to the housing. Thus the entire unit must be replaced for those who have a build date of Mar07 or later.
what are the major advantages of LSD, Sorry for my ignorance. But it's never too leate to learn, right?

thanks!
Raja

Old 07-13-2007, 01:13 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

That explains it better than I could.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Gabriel is infamous around these parts
FYI,

If they are trying so hard to handicap this car, why did they make it in the first place?

Old 07-13-2007, 02:29 PM
SallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the rough
Regarding the Quaife LSD install:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=121

Mar 07 and on 335i's may have ring gears that are welded to the carrier. Bummer.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Gabriel
If they are trying so hard to handicap this car, why did they make it in the first place?
That's a question for the ages.

I honestly think the racing crowd will get more out of a modded 135 than out of the new M3. It'll be cheaper and it's always easier to mod an FI car. Curb weight difference is nearly 500lbs between the two, heck my 335 only weighs 3703lbs with my fat butt, 3/4 a tank of gas, and the lead weights known as factory wheels. Most of the ECU piggybacks will probably strap right on to the 135. The next iteration of the chips are going to get ~380whp which will rival the M3. Get one of those, custom exhaust, track wheels and some Cups... I'm not sure the M3 will be able to keep up.... carbon fiber roof or no.

Last edited by Jem335i; 07-13-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:15 PM
SallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the rough

I honestly think the racing crowd will get more out of a modded 135 than out of the new M3. It'll be cheaper and it's always easier to mod an FI car. Curb weight difference is nearly 500lbs between the two and most of the ECU piggybacks will probably strap right on. The next iteration of the chips are going to get ~380whp which will rival the M3. Get one of those, custom exhaust, track wheels and some Cups... I'm not sure the M3 will be able to keep up.... carbon fiber roof or no.
Curb weight on the M3 is around 3783? That couldn't be right.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by SallyMobile
Curb weight on the M3 is around 3783? That couldn't be right.
Curb weight according to the M3 documentation linked here is 1655kg which equates to 3648lbs. Maybe I exaggerated by 100lbs, but I honestly couldn't remember the listed curb weight for the 135.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=90029

EDIT: Ah here we go:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...highlight=curb

Curb weight for the 135 will be 1560kg which is 3439lbs. Difference of 209, so my estimate was off. Apologies.

Still. Assuming they find a way to get a Quaife into the 135, you'll still have up to 80% biasing vs the 100% available on the M3. The M will have a brake advantage, but nothing a BBK wouldn't equalize IMO. It's a stock vs heavy modding question, and the correct answer varies by the individual.

Last edited by Jem335i; 07-13-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:39 PM

I honestly think the racing crowd will get more out of a modded 135 than out of the new M3. It'll be cheaper and it's always easier to mod an FI car. Curb weight difference is nearly 500lbs between the two, heck my 335 only weighs 3703lbs with my fat butt, 3/4 a tank of gas, and the lead weights known as factory wheels. Most of the ECU piggybacks will probably strap right on to the 135. The next iteration of the chips are going to get ~380whp which will rival the M3. Get one of those, custom exhaust, track wheels and some Cups... I'm not sure the M3 will be able to keep up.... carbon fiber roof or no.
Torque needs LSD. Period. It's so hypocritic that BMW talks about power not wasted in the M3 brochure when they cut the ***** of the 335 by not offering it with an LSD. This and the encryption key of the 335 DME show that they know it is a superior platform. Reminds me of what Porsche does with the Cayman...

Old 07-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Curb weight according to the M3 documentation linked here is 1655kg which equates to 3648lbs. Maybe I exaggerated by 100lbs, but I honestly couldn't remember the listed curb weight for the 135.

Curb weight for the 135 will be 1560kg which is 3439lbs. Difference of 209, so my estimate was off. Apologies
Let's say that with seats, wheels, flywheel and battery the car can get down to 3100-3200. That will be pretty satisfactory especially with 400hp and minimal lag.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:14 PM

Curb weight for the 135 will be 1560kg which is 3439lbs. Difference of 209, so my estimate was off. Apologies.

Still. Assuming they find a way to get a Quaife into the 135, you'll still have up to 80% biasing vs the 100% available on the M3. The M will have a brake advantage, but nothing a BBK wouldn't equalize IMO. It's a stock vs heavy modding question, and the correct answer varies by the individual.
Part was my fault. I was quoting curb weight as defined in the US, which is 100% fuel, no driver, no cargo.

EU defines unladen weight (sometimes called kerb weight) as with 90% fuel, 68 kg driver, 7 kg cargo.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:09 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
Autoweek said the combo adds 45hp. That's all??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Active Autowerke 335i