BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

BMW brake pad dust!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:27 AM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
BMW brake pad dust!!!!!

My wife drives an X5 and I clean it every weekend. The BMW brake pads are the worst I have ever seen as far as brake dust goes. Is there a better option out there? I don't need high performance as it is just her daily driver/kid hauler, but the dust is out of control. I clean it every Sunday morning and by mid week the front wheels are black. Help!

Old 07-17-2007, 11:28 AM
SAB
Banned
SAB is a glorious beacon of lightSAB is a glorious beacon of lightSAB is a glorious beacon of lightSAB is a glorious beacon of lightSAB is a glorious beacon of lightSAB is a glorious beacon of light
Axxis Ultimate Pads give some great bite and are virtually dustless.

I enjoy them.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:46 PM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:00 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
wife brakes too much.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Formerly 04ImolaZHP
InfamousD is infamous around these parts
i had axis pads on the m5 and they ended up warping the rotors. i changed the rotors and sold the car to the next guy with the same pads but new rotors and brand new untouched bmw brake pads (disclosing that there was some shake still in high speed braking). i still talk to the guy and he told me that 2k miles later the shaking went away all on its own. kinda weired but thought i'd let you know. my guess is that if new rotors were put at the same time as the new pads this problem would not have appeared.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:14 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
mintex red box.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:13 PM
lax01 is infamous around these parts
Axxis are garbage...so are Mintex Reds

Step up to Porterfield or Mintex C-techs...or just live with the brake dust since OEM is damn good...

Old 07-18-2007, 02:44 PM
jkb
jkb is infamous around these parts
i would STRONGLY recommend for people to stay away from so called aftermarket "dustless" mods to your breaks.

your breaks is the single MOST IMPORTANT component of the car which can make a difference between a new bumper or a new car (or even worse).

brake dust is good. bake dust means brakes are WORKING and doing what they are designed to do. less dust means less brakes. i would never change my bmw oem pads to some 3rd party who claims less dust.

just my .02c

Old 07-18-2007, 02:47 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
why? this is for an X5. I doubt it would see any high performance tracking. been using red box mintex for years on the street. absolutely no problems what so ever. actually performs better than most stock pads.

how do you guys base your opinions?

Old 07-18-2007, 02:59 PM
jkb
jkb is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by oak
how do you guys base your opinions?
honestly? just blind trust in BMW and how much testing they do on their cars.

i figured if they could go with pad which dust less, they would. my guess, they haven't for a reason.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:01 PM
oak
well then I guess it's worth .02 cents.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by jkb

i figured if they could go with pad which dust less, they would. my guess, they haven't for a reason.
If they were so smart, they should be able to build a damn pad that doesn't dust this much.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:20 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jkb

they do sell wheel cleaner with BMW logo on it at dealers.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:31 PM
mitchelrl is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jkb
i would STRONGLY recommend for people to stay away from so called aftermarket "dustless" mods to your breaks.

your breaks is the single MOST IMPORTANT component of the car which can make a difference between a new bumper or a new car (or even worse).

brake dust is good. bake dust means brakes are WORKING and doing what they are designed to do. less dust means less brakes. i would never change my bmw oem pads to some 3rd party who claims less dust.

just my .02c
I would be happy to take 5 minutes a weekend to clean break dust off my wife's wheels, that way I'd be confident that they're working. I can't agree more with JKB.

Brake Dust = Your Brakes are working. Audi's do it, Mercedes do it, Porsches Do it and bmw's do it, any german car will have a lot of dust up front.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:38 PM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 04ImolaZHP
i had axis pads on the m5 and they ended up warping the rotors. i changed the rotors and sold the car to the next guy with the same pads but new rotors and brand new untouched bmw brake pads (disclosing that there was some shake still in high speed braking). i still talk to the guy and he told me that 2k miles later the shaking went away all on its own. kinda weired but thought i'd let you know. my guess is that if new rotors were put at the same time as the new pads this problem would not have appeared.
What you just described points to improper bedding of brake pad material... either the break-in process wasn't done just right, or spotty excess pad deposit caused the shakes. Just fyi...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BMW brake pad dust!!!!!