BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

exhaust for M3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 01:22 PM
SallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
sadly enough the link i found does not work...but, heres the thread where it was discussed...

http://e46fanatics.com/forum/showthr...yno+comparison

also theres a link to the m3forum discussion on the same dyno day.
Ah ok, thank you.

I think your link gives the reason for the Gruppe M giving power. This is the setup they used:

Hood up, with squirrel cage blowers inches from the intake pipes.

In my (admitted limited) personal experience, I find it's relatively rare for people to do intake testing with the hood in the proper position, down.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:24 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by SallyMobile
Ah ok, thank you.

I think your link gives the reason for the Gruppe M giving power. This is the setup they used:

Hood up, with squirrel cage blowers inches from the intake pipes.

In my (admitted limited) personal experience, I find it's relatively rare for people to do intake testing with the hood in the proper position, down.
yea...either way...gruppe m is still gonna make good power because of its setup...not sure if youre familiar with the design, but i get air inflow which enter from 2 places...the first is with a scoop where the front grills are...the second is located under the air intake where the drives side fog light is. while most intakes only take in from one location...my gruppe m carbon kevlar does so in two, and most important from 2 areas with extemely good air flow.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Gabriel is infamous around these parts
You can't measure the effect of a RAM air intake without RAM air effect... That's those intakes do... Pressurize air by altering their internal dimension and force it in the plenum.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:24 PM
SallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the rough
The issue is they dyno'd with the hood up.

You'll get HP with just an open cone shoved on to your intake, with all of the piping removed if the hood is up.

BTW, there's no pressurization of the air. There's some reduction of the vacuum if it's well designed, but there's absolutely zero pressurization regardless of the design.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Gabriel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SallyMobile
The issue is they dyno'd with the hood up.

You'll get HP with just an open cone shoved on to your intake, with all of the piping removed if the hood is up.

BTW, there's no pressurization of the air. There's some reduction of the vacuum if it's well designed, but there's absolutely zero pressurization regardless of the design.
It's 1ATM no matter what. It's just the way that air is absorbed by the engine in waves created by the subpressure caused from the intake valve open and ram air forcing the air into the plenum with greater velocity and internal energy that yelds any additional power. Works well in bikes, not sure about cars though.

Pressurize was the wrong word indeed.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:28 PM
kaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the rough
Try the OEM CSL HEADERS AND EXHAUST, Supersprint is pretty good. I dont know how functional the Gruppe m is especially when it comes to providing HP but it does sound sick.

I have not seen dyno sheet from the MANF, but i may be wrong.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Miami M3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by eshaun
listen to as many as you can, all the ones mentioned sound great in their own right...personally I ended up w/ B&B triflo since I thought it was the deepest sounding of the bunch. Also I dont intend on doing headers, midpipes etc. which adds quite a bit to the personality of the sound
got the B&B Triflo as well - pretty sure its the loudest non-Ti exhaust for the E46

Old 07-26-2007, 03:35 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Miami M3
got the B&B Triflo as well - pretty sure its the loudest non-Ti exhaust for the E46
ive heard it loud as well...i wonder if its louder than my SS race?

Old 07-27-2007, 10:12 AM
Gusagain is infamous around these parts
Not sure about the SS race, never heard one. But I had to done earplugs with my B&B triflow on the track especially while going thru areas with walls nearby.
But I love the deeper tone the Eisenmann gives me now!

Old 07-28-2007, 10:36 PM
az911tt has a spectacular aura aboutaz911tt has a spectacular aura about
You guys are making me nervous now that the Gruppe M is going to be too loud!! I have a real annoying sso member who has a loud exhaust and he is always waking the neighborhood .

Old 07-28-2007, 11:02 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by az911tt
You guys are making me nervous now that the Gruppe M is going to be too loud!! I have a real annoying sso member who has a loud exhaust and he is always waking the neighborhood .
No offense, but not only is the Gruppe M loud, but it sounds horrible exhaust note wise~!

Old 08-04-2007, 05:20 PM
JoshBsZ is infamous around these parts
Dinan sounded nice on my friends comp pkg

Old 08-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by JoshBsZ
Dinan sounded nice on my friends comp pkg
dinan sounds good (i had one before my SS race) but i hated that one side of the tips were fake...essentially making it a 330ci coupe...the dual exhaust is one of the characterists of the M3 that makes is special over a reg 3 series coupe and i didnt like that. SS race sounds way better tho.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:50 PM
JoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
SS race sounds way better tho.
I can attest to that. Hope you guys a good time... see you next Sunday?

Old 08-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by JoeyG
I can attest to that. Hope you guys a good time... see you next Sunday?
thanks man! whats going on next sunday? might be tough for me because i fly out to chicago the next morning, but well see.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: exhaust for M3