BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

M5 Charcoal Filter Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 08:54 PM
M_PWRD is infamous around these parts
M5 Charcoal Filter Question

Lots of info about this on M5board. Unfortunately Gustav is on vac and slow with approving new members. I removed the charcoal filter required on US M5 cars. As soon as I start the car I immediately get a service warning "higher emissions" and "power loss" - I drove the car about 30 min and power loss is a big NOT. Higher emissions? At 10 mpg who gives a sh*t? Anyway some claim the service engine light disappears by itself after a day or so. I'm hoping to avoid having to go to he dealer with this. Can anyone confirm the service light fixing itself? or can I have anyone reset the warning lamp besides the dealer?

Old 08-13-2007, 06:29 AM
john revis is infamous around these parts
I, too, as a new member of that board, am having trouble getting authorization to post. I just ordered an '08 M6 with 6peed, and had a question about DSC and charcoal filter removal, but can't get my questions answered. There is a very long thread on their removal on that forum, however, did you find it?

Old 08-13-2007, 07:07 AM
TraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of light
removing charcoal filters will not create a service warning. dont worry abou tit

Old 08-13-2007, 08:00 AM
TOPPORSCHE is infamous around these parts
If you need more info on the M5 call ASR Engineering 786-258-0009.....They did the NOS kit on my M5 that ran 11's.....The removel of the filters will not cause you to have the issues you mentioned. I personally know several people that have removed the filters on both the M5 and M6 with no issues. My car has aprox 15,000 miles and I removed the filters with about 500 miles on the car.....If you need more info you can call ASR and ask for Abid.....Jay.S

Old 08-13-2007, 09:38 AM
M_PWRD is infamous around these parts
Problem Solved

Well I just answered my own question. Got in the M this morning to drive to work and there is no sign of the service indicator or high emissions warning. hopefully that is the end of it. A lot of people make all kinds of claims about increased power if you do this or that and 99/100 you really can't tell if it did anything or not. The charcoal filter removal which takes all of 5 min. made a noticeable difference and if you haven't removed it yet you are missing out. Here's a link to the thread on the M5board complete with how to do it. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...harcoal+filter