BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

What to buy: E46 M3 or 335i?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:47 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Enilder
well, you took those cars to trade in at the dealer.
i've yet to see any dealer offered me anywhere near KBB price
i think it really depends on your relationship with the dealer. my dad just traded in his DD, a 2006 x3 for a 2007 x3 and got KBB value for it. then again, thats also the second car hes bought from them this month.

also, where we buy our porsches, if we keep it 4 months or less we get exactly what we paid for trade in.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Chris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Niels E46 M3
not to threadjack, but I have an Active Autowerke Stage 2 supercharged E46 M3 with several other modifications I am selling. Let me know if you are interested.
Throw me a price? I am curious to hear at least.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Chris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by amerlemans
Rock - you are never going to get even wholesale prices at ANY dealer for your trades. In the past four years I have sold an '01M3, an '05 C6 Vette, a CaymanS, a 996TT and currently an '07 Z06 on either a car forum, cars.com or Autotrader. I purchased the 996TT and my '00 Jeep Wrangler Sahara on cars.com. These sites are great for selling your cars. I would never dream of trying to trade the cars in at the dealer. You might as well take the pages from the KBB, Edmunds, Black Book, et al and wipe your *** with them because they ain't worth the paper they're written on to car dealers anymore.

If I were you I would negotiate the price of the 335 (I ordered/purchased mine for $1,300 over invoice), order it and then you have two months to unload your cars. IF you can't sell them by then, at that point take them to Carmax or someplace like that. It is a good time of year to be selling the Wrangler.
Thanks for the comment. It actually just kind of confused me about the trade ins. Two of my sister's just purchased new cars and had trade ins as well but received considerably higher cash for their cars when traded in. (Thousands over KBB which sounds ridiculous I am sure) Just seems like BMW is a whole different ballgame esp. when it comes to something like the 335 since they are in no rush to have to sell them because they are already 2 months back ordered. I was just upset about it but should have known before going in.

I tried selling my Wrangler a year ago for a solid 6 months to no avail. I may have to try again and lower the price by a fair amount to get rid of it.

And as for my Z, well, I will have to keep that until the new car comes in whenever that may be anyway.

I'll keep everyone updated.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:58 PM
well, you took those cars to trade in at the dealer.
i've yet to see any dealer offered me anywhere near KBB price
It really depends. As I mentioned in the post before this my sister traded in her car for a new car from an entirely different company and actually received $5,000 more KBB which is insane. Maybe that's what happens when you buy a Chevy? All kidding aside, I think it depends on the company. I have not really had any previous experience with higher end car companies such as BMW and am actually used to having to negotiate pricing and they wanted none of it!

Old 10-03-2007, 06:34 AM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
i think it really depends on your relationship with the dealer. my dad just traded in his DD, a 2006 x3 for a 2007 x3 and got KBB value for it. then again, thats also the second car hes bought from them this month.

also, where we buy our porsches, if we keep it 4 months or less we get exactly what we paid for trade in.
meaning you only lose tax, processing fees, and etc?
dang, additional fees on top of the negotiated car price weren't cheap when we bought ours...but that's a good deal!

Old 10-03-2007, 07:21 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
meaning you only lose tax, processing fees, and etc?
dang, additional fees on top of the negotiated car price weren't cheap when we bought ours...but that's a good deal!
yea, exactly. plus my dad buys and sells a good amount of cars so whomever we do business with gets a lot of it. in the last year, hes bought and sold 8 cars. and we will be likely buying a 335i vert in the spring to replace my moms current 330ci vert.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:56 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
yea, exactly. plus my dad buys and sells a good amount of cars so whomever we do business with gets a lot of it. in the last year, hes bought and sold 8 cars. and we will be likely buying a 335i vert in the spring to replace my moms current 330ci vert.
cough HREs and Procede cough...mom will never know...

Old 10-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by sechsgang
cough HREs and Procede cough...mom will never know...

lol...im actually thinking about sending his 996TT ecu out for flashing i wouldnt do it to my moms car tho.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:21 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
lol...im actually thinking about sending his 996TT ecu out for flashing i wouldnt do it to my moms car tho.
you have to, just so she can smoke kids in stock evos in a vert...by a MOM...I mean...thats just plain funny...

Old 10-03-2007, 09:55 AM
you have to, just so she can smoke kids in stock evos in a vert...by a MOM...I mean...thats just plain funny...
that WOULD be funny

Old 10-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Benzwiz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Rockfreak300
This was a concern to me as well since my first mod was to hop straight on over to AA in Miami and get her tuned! I have asked various very reputable and knowledgeable members (as well as having a newfound friendship with Kirk from AA) who verified that that rumor is utter bull****. He said their 335 test vehicle has something like 425+ tq (assumuption - it is over 400 most definitely though) and beat the **** out of it and have had NO PROBLEMS.

He also stated the 335D version for Europe is equipped from the factory to handle 428tq from the FACTORY.

Here is actually a portion of Kirk and my emails that we have been writing back and forth. He is a fantastic helper and knows his ****. I would recommend him to anyone. Active Autowerks is a fantastic company and I would heavily recommend them.

" Those are merely rumors that are floating around the boards. Our 335i gets the **** driven out of it by the sales, tech, engineering, and administrative staff here. Those cars are pretty solid from the factory. Just look at the 335d that is sold in other parts of the world. It leaves the factory with 428 lbft. of torque.

We love our car here, trust me, you should see the way it is driven."

I cannot personally vouch this as I do not have a 335 as of yet but I do trust the people I have asked about this particular topic. Whenever I get mine I will definitely tell you! haha

Sleep worry free my friend.
Been out of the loop for a couple days... just wanted to mention a few things.. I hoped you haven't already changed your mind about your purchase, although you seem to have a nice car already..('06 350Z)

1. Transmission - if you stf over at e90post.com, there are several posts regarding the transmission and its rating. From what I've gathered - and by no means am I an expert on transmissions - I believe the manual and automatice transmission have slightly different load numbers they can deal with. The diesel model has a different transmission completely obviously to handle the extra tq. A lot of members mentioned that this was one of the reasons they never did extensive engine modifications on their e46 m3's b/c similar worries (rumors that the transmission couldn't handle it). I don't put very much credibility in short term anecdotal reliability from a party trying to sell you something as above. What's he gonna tell you.. "Yeah I've gone thru 3 transmissions already.." I don't think he's put as many miles/trannys/engines thru their paces as say when a new car comes out, so I'd take that info with a couple grains of salt. If your tranny blows, it's gonna be your problem/money not his.
I still don't know for sure though if these fears are to be considered seriously, but it would seem that BMW only has to engineer their tranny to a little more than what they think the engine's output will be, logically.
2. my 355i - I am happy with my car for what it is. I had been looking at two seaters (S2000/BoxsterS/CaymanS/elise). The 335 is probably as fast or faster than any of those cars. If that's what you're looking for than good. I do long for handling though. Especially since I have the sedan, it's kind of a porker and I actually think that the stock suspension is pretty soft in the twisties, but a little harsh on regular well-worn roads. I've considered getting coilovers but feel that it may be a bad decision for me since this is my dd and may potentially be my 'family car' if I decide to make that happen (ah, commitments! such bs). Other than that, the 6MT is a little softer/rubbery than I'd like it to be, but in the acceptable range. Definetly not as hard to shift as a stock e46 m3. In the end I needed a 4-door that was fun to drive and still good on fuel efficiency, and that's what I got.
3. buying a 335i - If you're gonna go to a Bimmer dealer and try to trade your 350 and jeep, you're gonna get raped due to your age and the fact these cars are very much in demand vs your cars may not be as much. You could probably have them offer you more for your cars, but as previously mentioned, your best bet would be forums and autotrader/cars.com. Also don't be afraid to call around w/in ~150 mile radius to get a better deal. They will always deal more if they have a car on the lot with unpopular options or that has been sitting there for a while. These may sit longer on lots in smaller towns..
4. going used - One of the biggest reasons I got my car is b/c I got it used. it's on '07 that had 1500 miles on it and I got ~9k discount compared to sticker. It was some lady who'd developped carpal tunnel syndrome and couldn't use the manual tranny anymore. I would look around, a lot of times there are some online (carmax).

e46 M3 is a nice car. my preference would be to get the e92 335 with chip and coilovers, but there is something to be said about drinving an M car, and arguably one of the nicest looking and performing ones out there.

Good luck!

Old 10-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Benzwiz is infamous around these parts

Old 10-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Benzwiz
trust me...haha, my mother, who now only has a 540, has fun with the little punks in civics with the coffee can exhausts...just because...

she wants to move into an M5 or M6 soon though...and as cool as that would be...she would smoke my DD into oblivion! haha

Old 10-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Tom(Atl) is infamous around these parts
I have the 335i (with vishnu), and had an e46 m3. The e46 m3 is the better track car. But the 335i is by FAR the better street car. I tracked the 335i at Nurburgring (before vishnu) and Barber Motorsports Park (after getting vishnu). I mean, It's a turbo car. What do you expect? An M car gives INSTANT power coming out of turns.

That being said, the 335i performs brilliantly for a brand new $40k car. The 135i will be something unreal...

Old 10-03-2007, 06:50 PM
trust me...haha, my mother, who now only has a 540, has fun with the little punks in civics with the coffee can exhausts...just because...

she wants to move into an M5 or M6 soon though...and as cool as that would be...she would smoke my DD into oblivion! haha
F*CK the m5/m6 idea for your mom. tell her to get a cayenne turbo or wait for the Porsche Panamera. two much better cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What to buy: E46 M3 or 335i?