BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

What to buy: E46 M3 or 335i?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Chris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by WyattH
4.1 Diff vs Stock Vbox graphs - M3Forum.com Discussion Boards

I changed the final gear in my S2K when everyone raved about it. It was built up and ended up disappointing me. I think it's going to be a similar experience here. 4.10:1 is too extreme for me, so I was considering the 3.91:1 ratio... Which would give even LESS of a lead than this:
4.1 Diff vs Stock Vbox graphs - M3Forum.com Discussion Boards
Interesting information. As much as I truly love the M3 I think it would definitely get me in trouble financially. It seems everything costs so much to gain any power from that car. With the given motor in stock form I would see myself getting bored very quickly. Still a beautiful car though

Someone feel free to prove me wrong: anyone have any mods with general prices for the M3 I can look into that can lean me towards the M?

Old 10-08-2007, 11:33 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Rockfreak300
Interesting information. As much as I truly love the M3 I think it would definitely get me in trouble financially. It seems everything costs so much to gain any power from that car. With the given motor in stock form I would see myself getting bored very quickly. Still a beautiful car though

Someone feel free to prove me wrong: anyone have any mods with general prices for the M3 I can look into that can lean me towards the M?
its not gonna be cheap to mod the m3, but there are def ways to do it less expensively.

A LOT of people have been buying $150 ebay headers, that are supposed to fit and be as good as brand names for the most part

magna flow cat back-$800

d/a race software-750, but if youre a forum member i think you can get it for 600

afe intake-350

so right there is $1900 and youre going to get some good gains. and you could add pulleys in there for 300 and then you really have all you need if you dont want gears. so prob 3K for ALL parts AND labor and youll be set.

just remember this...it really depends on how much youre willing to spend to mod...you can def do a full exhaust, intake, software and suspension for under 5K. there are mods for every budget.

Last edited by PorscheC4; 10-08-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
With the given motor in stock form I would see myself getting bored very quickly. Still a beautiful car though

Do a driving event once a month and I think that'll cure your boredom

Old 10-08-2007, 12:31 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by itrhybrid
i honestly dont think you will get sick of this motor. short of a Porsche or ferrari NA engine, this is as good as it gets IMO.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Spencer is infamous around these parts
Agreed, puts the "I need MORE rwhp" egotists into check....

They are both great cars... pick one, and have fun. Too much thinking involved here....

Old 10-08-2007, 01:44 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
There's more to the car than power. If you are worried about power, the M3 was never the car for you.

FYI, the setup I am looking at:
Streamline filter, Borla midpipes, Rogue El Diablo, Rogue Pulleys, DA software. That's $2500 give or take. Not the cheapest route, but it will sound great, be fun to drive, and add a little power.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:49 PM
[quote=WyattH;1387188]There's more to the car than power. If you are worried about power, the M3 was never the car for you.

[quote]

bingo! if cheap, inexpensive power is all youre after, you might as well keep your 350z and spend 6K on a twin turbo kit. the m3 isnt just about power, its a well rounded car, much like a Porsche, Ferrari, or Lambo. its not a single purpose car.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Chris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
its not gonna be cheap to mod the m3, but there are def ways to do it less expensively.

A LOT of people have been buying $150 ebay headers, that are supposed to fit and be as good as brand names for the most part

magna flow cat back-$800

d/a race software-750, but if youre a forum member i think you can get it for 600

afe intake-350

so right there is $1900 and youre going to get some good gains. and you could add pulleys in there for 300 and then you really have all you need if you dont want gears. so prob 3K for ALL parts AND labor and youll be set.

just remember this...it really depends on how much youre willing to spend to mod...you can def do a full exhaust, intake, software and suspension for under 5K. there are mods for every budget.
Thanks for the info! I haven't been keeping up to date on any of the upgrades/prices for the M3.

I think I can realistically spend in the vicinity of $45,000 on the car and then still have a few grand to play with on mods.

I wasn't really aware of all the smaller mods out there for the M3. (I was but not their prices necessarily) If I could get the power out of an M3 that is around the 335i chipped (385/385) I would be in the M3 in a heart beat.

The looks may prevail in the end. The M is money I just have to put the modding budget in perspective as well of course. Looking at a lot of the better known tuners for the M3 it had always seemed to me that modding it was really all or nothing. I can't see myself spending $9,000+ dollars on a supercharger or anything.

I would be interested to see how much power can be yielded with some of the smaller mods. I wonder how much even just a tune / exhaust would give you. Time to do my homework!

Old 10-08-2007, 03:59 PM
[quote=PorscheC4;1387200][quote=WyattH;1387188]There's more to the car than power. If you are worried about power, the M3 was never the car for you.

bingo! if cheap, inexpensive power is all youre after, you might as well keep your 350z and spend 6K on a twin turbo kit. the m3 isnt just about power, its a well rounded car, much like a Porsche, Ferrari, or Lambo. its not a single purpose car.
Good points.

and for the record, I wish I could find a TT kit for the Z for 6 grand. It has crossed my mind repeatedly but in the end it is like anything else involving cars and will cost a whole lot more than you had hoped! haha

Old 10-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !

I think I can realistically spend in the vicinity of $45,000 on the car and then still have a few grand to play with on mods.

I wasn't really aware of all the smaller mods out there for the M3. (I was but not their prices necessarily) If I could get the power out of an M3 that is around the 335i chipped (385/385) I would be in the M3 in a heart beat.

The looks may prevail in the end. The M is money I just have to put the modding budget in perspective as well of course. Looking at a lot of the better known tuners for the M3 it had always seemed to me that modding it was really all or nothing. I can't see myself spending $9,000+ dollars on a supercharger or anything.
You can find a nice used M3 for mid-30's. A stage 1 AA supercharger is on sale I think for $7500. That'll put you above the 335. IIRC the stage 1's were putting 425 to the wheels. That'll put you around 42k'ish including the car.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:50 PM
edl
edl is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the info! I haven't been keeping up to date on any of the upgrades/prices for the M3.

You can buy my Supra and have 700rwhp+ for $45K all-in. Suspension is already done, all you have to worry about is slowing down from 165...LOL

PorscheC4 is exactly right. The M3 is a well-rounded sports car out of the box. The 335, is more "sporty" and less sport.

And the S54 motor is hawt. If you like to rev you won't be let down.

OTOH, if you think you'll get into drag races all day, then maybe a modded 335 would be your thing. But maybe you should get a C5 Z06 and supercharge it instead. Or a big single Supra to be king of the interstate?

Old 10-08-2007, 06:33 PM
You can find a nice used M3 for mid-30's. A stage 1 AA supercharger is on sale I think for $7500. That'll put you above the 335. IIRC the stage 1's were putting 425 to the wheels. That'll put you around 42k'ish including the car.
Very good points as well. This is why I love this forum; it definitely opens your mind to new perspectives. I absolutely love the looks of the M3 although the interior seems well, a bit behind compared to the new Bimmers but that's life. Now, the real question is, if you do get the supercharger what all has to be upgraded with the M3 as well? (tires, rims, brakes, etc.?)

Thanks for your response!

Old 10-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by edl
You can buy my Supra and have 700rwhp+ for $45K all-in. Suspension is already done, all you have to worry about is slowing down from 165...LOL

PorscheC4 is exactly right. The M3 is a well-rounded sports car out of the box. The 335, is more "sporty" and less sport.

OTOH, if you think you'll get into drag races all day, then maybe a modded 335 would be your thing. But maybe you should get a C5 Z06 and supercharge it instead. Or a big single Supra to be king of the interstate?
I would kill myself in that thing. lol I'm sure it's a nasty car though and as much as I love Supras I am not yet ballsy nor knowledgeable enough to trust myself in one of that horsepower.

Any pictures of your ride anyway, might help you sell it regardless.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:18 PM
edl
edl is infamous around these parts
I would kill myself in that thing. lol I'm sure it's a nasty car though and as much as I love Supras I am not yet ballsy nor knowledgeable enough to trust myself in one of that horsepower.

Any pictures of your ride anyway, might help you sell it regardless.
Here's the link:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...u-sale-100559/

And you won't die, just don't use full boost around corners

Last edited by edl; 10-08-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:02 AM
Originally Posted by edl

you hit the nail on the head with all those points.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What to buy: E46 M3 or 335i?