Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove a Boxster with a 996 engine transplant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Trent is infamous around these parts
Drove a Boxster with a 996 engine transplant

Holy smokes, that thing was downright scary! And now I've got the bug.. 996 engine, lightened flywheel, race cats, and the stock 5-speed from the Boxster. THIS is how the car should have come from the factory!

I can't justify dumping another 12K into a car that's probably only worth as much, but if something were to happen to my 2.5L, I'd do the swap without a seconds hesitation!

Old 10-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
That'd be sweet!

Old 10-04-2007, 11:23 AM
blinkwatt is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Trent
Holy smokes, that thing was downright scary! And now I've got the bug.. 996 engine, lightened flywheel, race cats, and the stock 5-speed from the Boxster. THIS is how the car should have come from the factory!

I can't justify dumping another 12K into a car that's probably only worth as much, but if something were to happen to my 2.5L, I'd do the swap without a seconds hesitation!
It shouldn't cost $12k.

The 99' 996 non e-gas 3.4L engine should go for $5-8k. Labor should only be $1.5-2.5k,anything more is just time the shop is charging you for them to learn. The engines are essentially the same and reinstalling is almost the same. Instant-G sells a kit that makes swapping out a couple of parts on the engines a piece of cake,it's only $200.

If your insterested in a D.I.Y. let me know I have a PDF from Todd on how to install a 3.4L on a 2.5L.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:48 PM
redjeeper is infamous around these parts
blinkwatt, can you send me the PDF. I am itching for a project car this winter and this might fit the bill. Boxters are pretty cheap around here, especially if i can find one with a blown engine.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
Mine is a bit of fun with a little more power. 285 WHP is a good start for a project. Mine could use a set of coilovers, Camber plates and track bars then it would be a real beast on the track.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm not a do-it-yourself'er, so I'd pay the shop the $2K or so for the install. There are quite a few shops here that have done a few swaps, so hopefully they've got it down cold at this point. Can you install an 02 3.4L with the 320HP on a non e-gas car? The 99s only had 296HP or something.

I wouldn't mind the S/C, but the swap is going to give me a ton more power than a SC'd 2.5L.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by redjeeper
blinkwatt, can you send me the PDF. I am itching for a project car this winter and this might fit the bill. Boxters are pretty cheap around here, especially if i can find one with a blown engine.
Shot me an email and I'll send it to you

gl-g100rcd@sbcglobal.net

Title it along the lines of Boxster or something so I can find it easily.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:17 PM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
recently sold my 3.4 with race cats, chip, headers etc. Awesome ride and one of the most fun cars out there. I am thinking about a 3.8 conversion as the tq would be all the car needs for my fun.
I really doubt you could find a shop that would undertake the job for $2k. If anyone does, post up the info as that would be one hell of a deal!!

Old 10-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by riverflyer
I really doubt you could find a shop that would undertake the job for $2k. If anyone does, post up the info as that would be one hell of a deal!!
InstantG's Home Page

They do honest work. I was quoted $1.5-2k,too bad they are on the other side of the country.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Devin - CT is infamous around these parts
I've heard FL will do a 3.8L swap for around $17k...

And you get the old engine back. Not sure if that is for the 987 series though.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
InstantG's Home Page

They do honest work. I was quoted $1.5-2k,too bad they are on the other side of the country.
OMG, these guys are only like an hour away from me too! Crap, what have I gotten myself into now..

Old 10-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Trent
OMG, these guys are only like an hour away from me too! Crap, what have I gotten myself into now..

To be honest,if were looking to dump $1-2k into your car performance wise I'd just drop on the 3.4L non e-gas.

It's OEM,you know what your getting into & unlike most aftermarket parts,this will give it more value when you sell it.

Good Luck.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:51 AM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Devin - CT
And you get the old engine back. Not sure if that is for the 987 series though.
Devin, who is FL?

Old 10-08-2007, 11:56 AM
paulycw is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by riverflyer
Devin, who is FL?
I am guessing Farnbacher Loles.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
Grasshopper,
Just do it! You'll never get that $hit-eatin' grin off your face!

My $.02

Dave

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drove a Boxster with a 996 engine transplant